Previous Managers...

Feral Fox

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

After it being mentioned on the Derry thread I thought it would be a nice way to welcome in the new year with a quick recall of some of the managers we've had in recent memory. For me it goes back to Jimmy and obviously nobody has come close since, but we've had a few lame ducks!

talking about 'having a few' Howard Kendall at the Lane. What a waste of money on his wages and his drinks bill that was!

A good manager is normally judged by overall championship wins eg Warnock and big Sam, but as I mentioned in another post, Mick Walker was always the manager who could have done so much, but wasn't allowed to by Pavis. Mick is still a favourite of mine just because he believed in his philosophy and it looked like it was well on the way to working (Unlike CK!)

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I recall Kendall as a child, it used to make me laugh how our fans chanted about his drinking habit. My grandfather would tell me off for laughing! Mick Walker was a manager I didn't really understand why we got rid, though again I was young.

Fond memories of 98, though I didn't like Big Sam.

Big fan of Charlie's, felt he was hard done by when we was in League Two. I can name more terrible managers than good, though I will add I miss Martin Allen. I loved his interviews!

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,906
  • Days Won:  162

im constantly reminded about how many we have had by friends, Hans becke was clueless! i also like charlie mac but sc and mad dog ruled!

was not a fan of curles.

Mick Walker was relieved of his duties due to the Krul incident. We had signed him on loan from Derby. Not long after taking to the field he was sent off again for headbutting an opponent. Pavis came down to the dressing room to find out why the bloody hell that had happened. Krul had no answer and when Mick replied to DP that it wasn't him that signed him, it was Pavis and it was his fault in signing someone who the manager had not recommended. Mick was kicked out 3 days later. Sad really.

I agree with Charlie, but his lack of tactical nouse was a worry. Another time and without the Munto rubbish then maybe he would have done ok.

Martin Allen was a strange one. I used to run a Notts fans website and we had an exclusive interview with MA. He was superb and honest. Not something that you normally get from managers when being interviewed by fans!

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

I've been watching Notts for over 50 years and I have seen about 3 top quality managers in that time. There have been some potentially good ones and a few "pretenders" but most have been absolutely awful.

I simply detest Allardyce, the man has no scruples and no integrity IMO, he was also very lucky to have a good team in an utterly dire division. Yes, he had one terrific season but he left by deceit and his legacy was a failing squad that disappeared without trace! Can't stand the bloke. Thus, I refuse to elevate him to the status of the greats.

Sir Jimmy stands alone with Warnock some way behind.

Cotterill could well have emulated them both in my view, he was exceptional, the right man at the right time. I liked Allen, great motivator and he had a rapport with the fans, but he lost the plot, his selections became erratic and he seems to have treated some players quite badly by all accounts. Walker was another who might have been short changed but the word amongst the senior players was that he wasn't cut out for management in the longer term. Billy Gray brought us Sir Les & The Don, so he was ok by me.

As I say, most of the others were simply appalling or worse. The list is endless, Barker, Lowe, Brazil (twice!!!!), Lloyd, Mills, Codface, Scott (probably the nastiest and most obnoxious man we have ever employed, odious man), Coco aka Thommo/The Builder, Backe, Kiwomya, Curle, Ince, Short, Murphy & MacParland. There are probably others that have been eradicated from my mind but it is hard to judge Slade, Kendall and Dearden (always felt sorry for him, did a good job with no resources) - those 3 actually looked like they knew what they were doing even if it didn't always work effectively.

It baffles me how anybody could still defend MacParland, he was utterly clueless and had no idea how to organize the best squad in the division or get them to play with any consistency. Kevan & Johnson were better without him. Tactically he he was dreadful and he was regularly out thought by his opposite number. His use of substitutions could only be described as hopeless. I doubt we would have made the play offs if he had stayed in charge, he was one of the weakest managers we have had in my view. Cotterill showed how to do it, how to instil belief and confidence, how to win matches and how to get the best out of every player. Tactically, he was up there with the very best. MacParland wasn't fit to clean his boots IMO. People do seem to be split, they either liked him or, like me, think he was just a joke manager. I'd say the fact that he's not managed anyone else since getting the boot sums it up - he is no more a manager than the man in the moon. Should never have been appointed in the first place, another cock up of enormous proportions - remember how that came about?

It's a long list when you get to thinking about it.

Can still remember hearing the news that Allardyce had walked on radio Nottm. Pulled the car over and rang them, asking them to check the story was correct, it was so unbeliveable!!!

Agree with your comment about Billy Dearden. Tough job in tough times, but he still kept us positive!

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

This is just the thread I didn't want. I have been up since half 4, reminiscing about the bad ol days.

Wilkinson was my first real manager and, I cannot stand him. Thank god he only lasted one season. With a few notable exceptions: Jimmy, Warnock to a lesser degree Mick Walker, and then another two who have brought a promotion only to leave. Our old friends FAT Sam (booo hisss) and Cotterrill.

There ends the good news, but the creatures I had running around in my head, oh god. Larry Lloyd.... Howard pass the bottle... Scott. Thompson, Brazil ( so good we had them twice). Mills... Thordarson... Rico... Charlie... and John Barnpot

Thanks everyone for the sleepless night. Please please can we put this thread to bed.

This is just the thread I didn't want. I have been up since half 4, reminiscing about the bad ol days.

Wilkinson was my first real manager and, I cannot stand him. Thank god he only lasted one season. With a few notable exceptions: Jimmy, Warnock to a lesser degree Mick Walker, and then another two who have brought a promotion only to leave. Our old friends FAT Sam (booo hisss) and Cotterrill.

There ends the good news, but the creatures I had running around in my head, oh god. Larry Lloyd.... Howard pass the bottle... Scott. Thompson, Brazil ( so good we had them twice). Mills... Thordarson... Rico... Charlie... and John Barnpot

Thanks everyone for the sleepless night. Please please can we put this thread to bed.

:devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Are you the 8th dwarf, I always new that Disney didn't round all of them up.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

I think Coco was our worst appointment. Baffling to say the least.

I think Ray Trew's over involvement was the end for Mad Dog, he was a good manager for us IMO.

Over - Involvment?

Spill the beans then, I don't know what we are on about.

• Content Count:  43
  • Days Won:  2

Is it sad that I can think of far more crap managers than good ones?

I suppose that's probably true of most clubs. But perhaps not at the ratio of 7:1 bad to good managers that we seem to have.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

If we had have managed to stay in the Championship/old Division One, I think the story would be certainly different. It's the fact we haven't been a side to learn from past mistakes, we continue to make similar one's and even the same. Allowing quality players to leave without replacements especially, so sadly we have had a long recession of managers who have been utterly poor.

This said, some decent one's wasn't supported.

Archived