Match Discussion: Game 37 - The Shrimpers (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,283
  • Days Won:  80

Game 37 - The Shrimpers (A)

Team: Southend United

Date: 02/04/2022

Where: Roots Hall

What line-up should Ian Burchnall opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Southend have lost their last 2 games. They are struggling to score. 1 goal in their last 4 games. Notts are unbeaten in their last 3 and they were 3 tough games. 7 out of 9 is more than acceptable. Given our run in, I'd take a draw here, keep the run going. A win would be a massive boost. I'll go for a 1-0 win for Notts. 

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  382
  • Days Won:  8

11 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

We're not fantastic away but we're getting to the point in the season where games become must-win if we're serious about play-offs.

Says it all

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

Big dilemma for me is do we stick with the 3-5-2 which is probably better overall or switch to a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 which is better for getting all our attacking talent in the side.

Last season we clicked under the 3-5-2 and nearly got to the Play-off final and that was down to playing a formation that allowed us to fit our better players into their most effective roles. Ruben, Miller and Ellis are prime examples. Now it's slightly different, and I feel Southend's defenders will be made to work a lot harder with the likes of Sam and Roberts on the pitch.

Southend were on a fantastic run recently, but like Dripsey says they've tailed off recently. Dagenham were 3-0 up at half-time last time they played a home game. I'm hoping for a similar outcome. 

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

That was an outstanding result. Truly outstanding. Well done Ruben. Well done everyone. I'm very happy. 

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

Great result, and I'm liking this defensive grit we seem to have gained recently. Winning headers in our box, putting bodies on the line, it all bodes well for a strong finish to the season if we can keep it up. Maybe we're getting a bit of luck too as if that pen had gone in 2-1 makes it a very different game. But credit to Jaros for reading the pen and making the save.

A home semi-final doesn't seem out of reach now especially with teams in the top 7 still having to play each other, it's got to be the aim.

And that also puts Ruben level on league goals with Woots now, both have 15. I think he might finish as our top scorer too.

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Great result that. We had a little bit of luck at the right times, but that's part of the game and will help us build some momentum. The top three is very much possible, but we can hardly afford to slip up if we want to get there - we might be only 4 points off, but Halifax, Wrexham and Solihull all have at least one game in hand.