Help Our Moderation Team by Reporting Issues

PON_News

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Haha! I'll add it to my list of things to look at. Fingers crossed we can resolve it for good. :D 

• Like 1

FYI: Facebook, aka Meta, are now targeting community forums that share links. Their automated mod bots will pull the content within seconds, deeming it as 'spam'. I thought Elon Musk was ruining Twitter just for his own thrills, but it seems Mark Zuckerberg is getting his own platform to do bizarre things. From research, it seems to be an issue ongoing for a few years, but Meta has increased their bots' effectiveness over the last few months, which makes it impossible for a site link PON to share a simple URL from the forum without it being removed.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2024 at 22:13, Fan of Big Tone said:

@ChrisJust to let you know this is happening again.

CF7CC57F-2DC3-4A0B-B222-08554311E48A.png

I have just applied a fix which needs testing, hopefully this will be the end of the floating navigation but if not - there will be other means of resolving the issue.

If you could test for a few days, then get back to me that would be great @Fan of Big Tone.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
7 hours ago, Chris said:

If you could test for a few days, then get back to me that would be great @Fan of Big Tone.

Will do. 👍

• Like 1

I have my fingers and toes crossed! 🤞🏻

Supporter+
3 minutes ago, Chris said:

I have my fingers and toes crossed! 🤞🏻

So far so good mate, I’ve not seen it today………yet! :biggrin:

• Love 1

Supporter+

@Chris All I see at the bottom of your posts and @CliftonMagpie posts is a grey box see attached screen shot. Is this the forum or me?

Viewing on iPad.

6E102919-C978-4910-B22C-3917AF9C2D57.png

48 minutes ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

@Chris All I see at the bottom of your posts and @CliftonMagpie posts is a grey box see attached screen shot. Is this the forum or me?

Viewing on iPad.

6E102919-C978-4910-B22C-3917AF9C2D57.png

We both have visual signatures, they seem to be linked to your device. Does the same thing happen on your phone?

• Like 1

Supporter+
5 minutes ago, Chris said:

We both have visual signatures, they seem to be linked to your device. Does the same thing happen on your phone?

Yes it’s the same on phone.

It must be related to IOS and Apple, I'll speak to the support team because I have seen recent comments about issues with comments from Apple based products.

• Like 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Days Won:  164
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I've noticed that if I want to edit a post, I cannot remove a person I've tagged into the post.

I'm on Android so not sure if you can remove the tagging in windows or not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Content Count:  12,907
  • Days Won:  162

3 hours ago, Robbie said:

I've noticed that if I want to edit a post, I cannot remove a person I've tagged into the post.

I'm on Android so not sure if you can remove the tagging in windows or not.

that is due to the editor.

i remember chris advising people to copy the message, then to refresh. use to the clear text function that shows at the bottom. then past the message back in, you should be able to delete the @whoever by pressing the delete or back key on android.

@KB1862 raised this up last if i recall.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Supporter+
8 hours ago, liampie said:

that is due to the editor.

i remember chris advising people to copy the message, then to refresh. use to the clear text function that shows at the bottom. then past the message back in, you should be able to delete the @whoever by pressing the delete or back key on android.

@KB1862 raised this up last if i recall.

I took your advice  @liampieand it worked. 

Thanks for the tip. I guess that method should also work to remove an embedded twitter or Utube link too.

• Like 1

Supporter+
3 hours ago, Robbie said:

I took your advice  @liampieand it worked. 

Thanks for the tip. I guess that method should also work to remove an embedded twitter or Utube link too.

The person you tagged will still probably get a notification they’ve been tagged and will wonder where it’s gone.

• Like 1

Supporter+
11 minutes ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

The person you tagged will still probably get a notification they’ve been tagged and will wonder where it’s gone.

There is an option to withdraw a like.

Personally I believe the poster should have the option of removing their post too rather than have to request a moderator to do it.

Posts can be posted in the heat of the moment & sometimes on reflection the owner of that post may believe it's better to amend or delete on occasions.

An option to delete at the top of the post would be helpful.

• Love 1

Supporter+
13 minutes ago, Robbie said:

Personally I believe the poster should have the option of removing their post too rather than have to request a moderator to do it.

Posts can be posted in the heat of the moment & sometimes on reflection the owner of that post may believe it's better to amend or delete on occasions.

@Robbie I’m not sure that could be done without given permissions to delete any other post as well as your own which obviously wouldn’t be desirable.

If you ever want one of your posts deleting you can always contact me I’m usually around or any other moderator who will be happy to oblige but it’s worth bearing in mind that it may affect the topic and make other posts that reply to it unintelligible so it can be a bit difficult to do with fracturing the whole topic.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

7 hours ago, Robbie said:

I don’t believe members will ever be granted the power to erase their own posts. It would be a nightmare for moderators to figure out what went wrong in a discussion if individuals could remove their own content. Most online forums and message boards don’t even allow you to modify your posts, and if they do, it’s only for a limited time. Every message is recorded, but this isn’t the case for deleted posts. Moderators would have to check the ModCP and review every deleted message. If everyone had this power, it could result in a longer log of deleted posts.

7 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

@Robbie I’m not sure that could be done without given permissions to delete any other post as well as your own which obviously wouldn’t be desirable.

If you ever want one of your posts deleting you can always contact me I’m usually around or any other moderator who will be happy to oblige but it’s worth bearing in mind that it may affect the topic and make other posts that reply to it unintelligible so it can be a bit difficult to do with fracturing the whole topic.

The best approach is to contact a moderator or use the report function if you want something removed. Simply explain that you want your post deleted.

• Like 2

Supporter+
On 06/07/2024 at 21:21, CliftonMagpie said:

Most online forums and message boards don’t even allow you to modify your posts, and if they do, it’s only for a limited time.

I agree, I don’t think users should be allowed to edit posts except after a short period (say 10 minutes) at the moment users can go back and edit a post hours or even days after and change the whole context, which could lead to problems.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Chris after all our hard work the other day, the dreaded grey box is back.

IMG_0194.png

• Haha 1

At least we know it's cache-related, though it could be anything causing it. I'll speak with Terabyte. :D 

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

On 14/07/2024 at 10:32, Fan of Big Tone said:

I agree, I don’t think users should be allowed to edit posts except after a short period (say 10 minutes) at the moment users can go back and edit a post hours or even days after and change the whole context, which could lead to problems.

Except, PON does keep a record of every edit made, allowing us to compare what has been removed. So, if any issues arise, it wouldn’t be too challenging to determine what happened and identify any comments that might have been altered.

• Like 2

Supporter+
19 minutes ago, CliftonMagpie said:

Except, PON does keep a record of every edit made, allowing us to compare what has been removed. So, if any issues arise, it wouldn’t be too challenging to determine what happened and identify any comments that might have been altered.

Yes I realise that @CliftonMagpie but personally I don’t see why anyone would need to edit a post other than a few minutes after if the realise they’ve made a mistake. If they want to add something they can make another post, if they edit a post hours later or days later then the edited part probably will be missed if people have read the topic and caught up.

• Like 1

@Fan of Big Tone Can you see any difference? I purged the CloudFlare cache and checked some settings as suggested to me.

Re: Editing posts - I'm personally happy with allowing members the ability to edit posts for the long term. I see it as a sign of trust, and so far we haven't had any major issues with posts being edited in all the years we have existed. I realise that there's a chance it could, but most edits are small. Some mistakes won't be noticed, it's very common for a member to write something then dash off. By which point when they come back, someone will have noticed their mistake.

If as team members we didn't have log edits for everytime something is changed, I wouldn't permit it. Since we do, I see it as trust building. :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Supporter+

@Chris all pics visible again. 👍

• Love 1

Supporter+
On 21/07/2024 at 12:59, Chris said:

Re: Editing posts - I'm personally happy with allowing members the ability to edit posts for the long term. I see it as a sign of trust, and so far we haven't had any major issues with posts being edited in all the years we have existed. I realise that there's a chance it could, but most edits are small. Some mistakes won't be noticed, it's very common for a member to write something then dash off. By which point when they come back, someone will have noticed their mistake.

If as team members we didn't have log edits for everytime something is changed, I wouldn't permit it. Since we do, I see it as trust building. :) 

I've gone back to my own posts a few days later and found spelling mistakes and it is good that members can correct those mistakes without having to ask a moderator. So I'm happy that owners of posts can edit their posts to rectify mistakes.

• Like 1