Match Discussion: Game 2 - The Mariners (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Does anyone else get frustrated by our corners? There was more than one occasion when we had a corner, we took it short and the all ended up back with Stone who booted it and we lost possession. I get the argument that more goals are scored from open play so we take a short corner but isn’t it also a great opportunity to get the ball in the box with a direct corner especially with McGoldrick lurking.

Other than that it was a great game some of the crosses into the box were fantastic and the third goal was sublime what a great cross from Jodie Jones and superb finish from Crowley, he’s only little and quite lightweight but my goodness he’s becoming one of my favourite players, a great signing in my opinion.

• Like 4

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  868
  • Days Won:  1

Grimsby really tried to get under Notts’ skin. Some of their challenges deserved a yellow card, and when the referee did punish them, it seemed more due to their reaction to his decision or a really soft tackle. The way they targeted Jodi Jones made him play with more purpose. He looked like a handful in the second half. Richard Brindley played superbly in the middle of the back three, while David McGoldrick and Dan Crowley were also immense.

• Like 3

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Days Won:  5

The game was quite enjoyable. Those two goals by Grimsby did appear to pose a challenge, but I thought Notts responded effectively and put in the effort to equalize. The team worked diligently to secure the victory. Last season, Macaulay Langstaff's attempt before either team scored would likely have been successful, unlike this year where it seems luck hasn't been on our side so far.

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,719
  • Days Won:  27

The result for me is the main thing, I wished we could be more positive in our attack in the first half. Scoring always seems to give Notts a boost and then our confidence comes from that, but whenever we attack the KOP, Notts just seem to control the game and it almost becomes routine. I really felt like we always stood a chance of winning, we just needed that quality and it's largely down to Jodi Jones that we did pick up the points.

I find comments about Arron Nemane to be very misleading, he wasn't wasting time. He literally had no good options to throw the ball, Grimsby made it a point to close down any options, and our players were way too static in this department. Aidan Stone should have been warned, but I think his drink of water leading to the yellow card was just the referee being trigger-happy with his cards.

On 14/08/2023 at 08:30, Fan of Big Tone said:

Does anyone else get frustrated by our corners? There was more than one occasion when we had a corner, we took it short and the all ended up back with Stone who booted it and we lost possession.

Yes, the backward passing needs to be stamped out. Just hit the corners in, I don't see why we always insist on taking them short.

• Like 1

• Chris unfeatured this topic

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,128
  • Days Won:  2

I don't believe I've ever witnessed the KOP being so upbeat and vociferous in my lifetime. It was an absolute delight to observe Notts in action, rallying to turn the game around with the entire crowd in the stands and the players on the field working collectively to secure those three points. Grimsby proved to be a formidable team and presented challenges, and while we did contribute to the difficulties at times, our performance in the second 45 minutes was outstanding.

• Like 2

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,456
  • Days Won:  15

I didn't have the opportunity to comment on this, but I found the victory to be exceptional. Considerable effort was invested in overcoming the two setbacks, and the entire squad contributed to transforming what could have been a potential defeat or draw into a win. The goals displayed a high level of quality, and they were all executed very well. The finishing from Grimsby's players was also outstanding. Their second goal was a beautifully executed move!

• Like 2