Anglo-Italian Cup Memories.

Robbie

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,441
  • Days Won:  164
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

The Anglo-Italian Cup was a competition played intermittently between English and Italian clubs  between1970 and 1996.

In total Italian clubs won 15 and English clubs 6, Notts County being one of the only 6 English clubs to win it.

The competition proved lucrative for Notts County, reaching two finals and winning in the 1994/95 season.

Incidentally, Notts were the only English winners when the competition was held on four consecutive years in the 1990s

Sadly the tournament was discontinued after the 1995/96 season.

Edited by Robbie__64
Capital letter
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

My grandfather made sure that myself and my brother each went to the finals. I remember them quite well even though I was pretty young. In the earlier days of PON, I started discussions on social media to gauge if anyone else thought it should come back. I believe there's some form of campaign/appeal which was active that tried to bring it back to the attention of football officials.

I know it seemed very mixed from the responses back then, with more fans hoping to see the Anglo-Scottish Cup's return instead.

Personally, I would much prefer the Anglo-Italian Cup, and I am admittedly biased because of my fond memories of the competition. I had never heard of the Anglo-Scottish Cup before I had asked. With all respect to Scottish football, there are very few teams or places I would like to visit or see Notts play. Whereas Italy would allow Notts fans to reconnect with the @Italian Magpies amongst other wonderful locations and people.

Were we the only English team to win the revamped 90s version before it was discontinued?

I believe I recall Spurs had won the previous version, though I should brush this part of my memory up.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Supporter+
40 minutes ago, Chris said:

My grandfather made sure that myself and my brother each went to the finals. I remember them quite well even though I was pretty young. In the earlier days of PON, I started discussions on social media to gage if anyone else thought it should come back. I believe there's some form of campaign/appeal which was active that tried to bring it back to the attention of football officials.

I know it seemed very mixed from the responses back then, with more fans hoping to see the Anglo-Scottish Cup's return instead.

Personally, I would much prefer the Anglo-Italian Cup, and I am admittedly biased because of my fond memories of the competition. I had never heard of the Anglo-Scottish Cup before I had asked. With all respect to Scottish football, there are very few teams or places I would like to visit or see Notts play. Whereas Italy would allow Notts fans to reconnect with the @Italian Magpies amongst other wonderful locations and people.

Were we the only English team to win the revamped 90s version before it was discontinued?

I believe I recall Spurs had won the previous version, though I should brush this part of my memory up.

Yes.

Notts were the only English team to win when it was revamped in the 1990s.

Notts were in two finals out of the four that were contested at that time.

I do believe it would be a good idea to bring it back for tier two sides down to tier 4 in both Countries. There is much more money in the game now & it would generate much needed finance for lower tier sides.

• Like 6

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  874
  • Days Won:  1

I understand. The Anglo-Italian Cup did provide a nice opportunity for a short break. While Scotland might not have the same allure, it would be good to see the cup return, as long as the fixtures don’t cause too much disruption.

• Like 6

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  171
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know much about it, my parents have talked about it and I have seen it mentioned before. I don't know much else aside from that, what division do Italian teams enter? Serie B and C?

• Like 5

Supporter+

Yes, JohnTheBost ,in 1992, the Anglo-Italian Cup was re-established & revamped  for second-tier clubs.The Italian representatives were Serie B teams. 

Edited by Robbie__64
  • Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,725
  • Days Won:  27

It would bring some quality teams to the UK, while providing lower-tier players with their ‘European tour’. I believe it would benefit clubs, and players would gain experience playing against a different calibre and style of players. I only know about this from PON and what others have previously mentioned, but it seems like a fantastic idea.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

Those were the days, a genuine Wembley and Wembley way. I get mixed up about which final it was where we scored straight from a throw-in, only for it to be disallowed. Andy Legg was ahead of his time with those long throws.

• Like 3

Supporter+
14 minutes ago, OoooooTommy said:

Those were the days, a genuine Wembley and Wembley way. I get mixed up about which final it was where we scored straight from a throw-in, only for it to be disallowed. Andy Legg was ahead of his time with those long throws.

Yes it was in the final against Ascoli which we won 2:1. A massive long throw from Andy Legg in the first half. Tony Agana claimed a slight touch and ref saw it as a goal.

Andy could certainly throw it long. Caused loads of problems for Ascoli in this match.

Edited by Robbie__64
  • Like 2

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,766
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

I had memorable away trips to Brescia and Ascoli

Paul Devlin's equaliser at Ascoli is as clear in my mind as if it was yesterday. Turning his man and volleying a bullet  in to the top right hand corner from 25 yards

I also remember lunchtime drinks in the piazza in Ascoli with Derek Pavis and John Mountney.. talking about the madness of the Brescia final, when we needed a goal, Mick Walker took off McSwegan for Agana!

• Like 2

Supporter+

Yes Piethagoram, I think the best team lost when we played Brescia in our first Anglo-Italian final at Wembley.

McSwegan should have buried that chance in the 1st half, the handball by their player that should have been a pen & Charlie Palmer's effort that was blocked on their line in the dying seconds of the match from another long throw from Andy Legg. 

Then of course there was Steve Cherry's unfortunate mistake that led to their winning goal.

Edited by Robbie__64
  • Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

before my time too. 😂

i have watched videos on youtube and i remember the notts county film that the old media team put out that mentioned it.

i do like reading about peoples experiences and memories of games tho, as it tells you so much more about the clubs history. i would welcome it back.

• Like 1