European Cup Final. Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt. 1960

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

A trip down memory lane to watch highlights of one of the best, if not the best, football matches ever, the European Cup Final played at Hampden Park in 1960 in front of a crowd of 135,000. Di Stefano scoring 3 goals and Puskas 4 shown in all their glory. A masterclass of Football nearly 64 years ago. Enjoy.

• Like 1

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm not knocking older football, but it was a totally different game back then. The 3rd goal, with the keeper spilling the ball, shows how quick you have to be to pounce on a chance. Some other points here would be good to see again in modern football.

Players wouldn't get this much space though in a competitive game today.

• Like 2

Supporter+

I take your point @Chris but I would back that Real Madrid side to beat most of today's top sides in Europe. Of course, there are slightly different rules in place today, such as, we play with a different  type of ball now, new rules on challenging the goalie, handball rules and of course VAR, but that was a special team and this win at Hampden was their fifth European Cup win in a row. And the competition was for champions only, not including the also-rans, as it is today.

Incidentally, the type of plastic ball we use today, where it is more easy to bend, might have given those players of yesteryear another dimension to their play.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

i get the ball was different but the players from way back then would need to live the lifestyles of modern players, otherwise no matter how good they were it would be very one sided. football has evolved from these days and much of the success now, is owned to the players of the past. this is a great nostalgic clip, i wished fans were as supportive as back then now, because too many fans dwell on mistakes for far too long.

• Like 1

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

I watched the game with one of my mates and his dad on their telly.Incredible game.I always remember  'The galloping major'

• Like 1

Supporter+

Yes @super_ram 

Ferenc Puskas, one of the greatest Footballers of all time, and we had another great of all time in that Real Madrid side too, Alfredo Di Stefano.

Lots may disagree but I think that Madrid side could compete and beat all of the top sides today on their day