The Best strike force in the League?

Robbie

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

What a fantastic season it has been for our Notts County strike force. We can safely say that we have the best in the League.

We have seen goals from every angle, whether we pass through the middle, go down the flanks or go long, our strike force has been so deadly.

What can you say about Macaulay Langstaff. Record goal scorer last season and likely to be the league's top scorer this season.

Jodi Jones who seems to get better and better each match he plays, with a record assist total in the top 5 leagues, it has been a phenomenal season for him.

Dan Crowley where everything  good seems to come through his creativity in midfield .

David McGoldrick, who came back to his boyhood club, but hasn't disappointed, forming a great partnership with Macaulay.

Aaron Nemane who is dangerous on the right and has seemed to get even better under Stuart Maynard 

Alassana Jatta, who came to Notts  in January and is now a regular in the team, partnering Macaulay, and gives Notts a new dimension up front.

A whopping 70 goals & 47 assists have come from this strike force this season, a phenomenal achievement and Notts still have 3 matches to go.

And we have Cedwyn Scott just waiting in the wings to contribute to that strike force next season.

Let's hope that we can keep this strike force together for next season but even if we lose Macaulay and Jodi we will still have a very potent strike force next season.

• Like 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,314
  • Days Won:  17

Makes you wonder where  Notts would have ended the season if they hadn't leaked so many goals Robbie. In fact if the Magpie defence had cut out a percentage of the poor goals they gave away then Notts would probably be looking at another Play off campaign at the very least. But they Didn't and Notts aren't in the playoffs. At least the Magpies weren't involved in a Relegation Battle this season so we can be grateful for small mercies.

The Attack as been a Major Force in this League and I believe will continue to be so. Even if Notts Loose Macca (which seems more than likely) it would seem that the Magpies still have a Goal threat in AJ and Didzy but a lot will depend on Cedwyn Scott and how he adapts in League 2 after his injury. He does seems confident in his own abilities and if he finds the back of the Net regularly in the opening games his confidence will soar in the New Campaign then the loss of Macca wont hit Notts to badly. Goals from the likes of Dan Crowley Sam Austin and other attacking midfielders adding goals the Magpies shouldn't be to far off keeping up their Scoring Rate.

Cedwyn will probably be used in the Macca Role next season and if he can stay healthy 15-20 goals shouldn't be out of his reach. I expect AJ to be top scorer with 20+ goals A dozen or so from Didzy with Dan Crowley weighing in with 12-15 and 15+ goals from other members of the Team and Notts will be a threat to the Rest of League 2 teams. I believe the Magpies Attack isn't the problem but as it as been for the last few seasons it's the Defence where Montague and his team need to work on. A keeper who can dominate and command his area  Young Brookes should be given his chance either as first choice or back up (farming him out on loan season after season wont help him) and two maybe three proper defenders who aren't afraid to tackle and put their bodies on the Line. And perhaps the most important position on the Pitch a Captain and True Team Leader who Inspires and gets the Best out of his Team Mates.

Edited by Wheelbarrow repair man
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Supporter+

I agree @Wheelbarrow repair man

I wonder if Stuart will give Scott a start in one of these last three games, maybe the last game to see how he performs in match play by putting him on together with Jatta and rest Langstaff. Maybe try out Randall too for a game.

Shame he can't recall Tiernan Brooks back for the last game too. Rochdale are safe in the middle of the table.

I think that Scott is out of contract in the summer so a decision will have to be made there 

In fact, the powers that be at Notts have lots of decisions to make that will affect the future of several players in the close season, Rawlinson, Chicksen, Brindley, Baldwin, Bostock, Cameron, Colkett & Morias..

I'm leaning toward keeping Cameron, Chicksen, Bostock and Brindley.

Then there's the futures of the big three. Will they stay or not?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,314
  • Days Won:  17

Well Robbie

To be Honest out all the current Notts players you have named I would only keep Cedwyn Scott and maybe at a pinch John Bostock the Rest I'd Let Go they are Not League 2 Standard. Cedwyn is out of contract (Someone did point that out on PON) Notts need to offer him a New Contract because (in my opinion) he'll hopefully take over from Macca when he leaves. I also think if it wasn't for his injury he and Macca would have been the Top two strikers in the League this Season. And I'm confident he and AJ will form a Good Partnership. Realistically the only reason I'd keep Bostock is because it all depends on Matt Palmer's comeback from injury and how long it takes Matt to become fully match fit. Because Robertson has made the midfield position his own and I'll be interested to see how plays along side a fully fit Palmer.

I must say that I'm in full agreement with the two Topics penned by ARLukomski regarding the Fact Notts need to be Brutal (perhaps not his exact word) and more or less need to Rebuild completely during the Off Season, in one comment I gave a list of Players I believe should be retained and those that in opinion should be let Go and nothing I've seen has made me change my mind. We need players who come in with a good amount of EFL Experience if the Magpies are going to be contenders for the playoffs or Automatic Promotion at the End of Next Season.

Of the Big Three Macca, Jodi and Dan Crowley, I think the one Notts have the Best Chance of holding on to is Dan Crowley, not that he's not a Top Player within this League but he hasn't generated the same type of headlines, like Macca and Jodi which could be to Notts advantage, because Dan may well come under the Radar of other Clubs.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I agree with most of what you say and yes Notts need to be brutal.

We should offer Cedwyn and Bostock a one year contract and I agree with you why Bostock should be retained.

I'm just concerned that if we release all our defenders except Macari that would mean us needing at least four coming in and if Jodi goes Notts will need a left wing back, that why I'd keep Chicksen for another year.

Cameron has played better during the last 3 matches and Brindley can play across the back line. So that would mean Notts just having to recruit two centre backs for the defensive squad 

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

We're always good for goals, we have been for a few seasons now. I've seen Notts teams where you wonder where a goal is coming from, so enjoy it while it lasts!

I'm glad Langstaff has proven himself at this level too. To be honest I was expecting a little more from McGoldrick, especially given how well he did last season. He's been dropped into the Rodders role and it's an awkward fit for him. I'd like to see us get Scott under contract for next season, I think he has what it takes at this level and our faith will be repaid.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  36

I don’t think goals will be a problem, even if we lose Macca and JJ. It may even give us the chance to sign some proper wingbacks, rather than converted wingers.

Brindley isn’t good enough to be kept on, his positioning is awful, not physically big enough and never gets tight to his man. It should be a case of thank you for your years of service but we need better.  Defender wise, Cameron has another year as well as Chicksen so they will be kept on with Macari. Love Rawlo, but he is too old, too slow and not good enough, got to offload. Mahovo will also be here I think, so that’s four, bring in another four as first choice and we’re good to go.

Keeper situation is what worries me most, as we’ve got to try and offload Sam and Stone. That is not going to be easy and makes me wonder if they are trying to force Stone’s hand by making him 3rd choice.

Supporter+

We could be losing Macca and Jodi in the summer, I don't want them to go, and Notts need to offer Jodi a good 2 year extension on his contract.

But if they both decide that they want to play in a higher league, Jodi winning the league 2 player of the year award and him and Macca being included in the league 2 team of the season will have helped to increase both their values even more.

So it's a win win for Notts no matter what they both decide.