The Premier League.

Robbie

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I used to love watching live top grade English football on the TV. I also used to listen to commentary on Radio 5 live too.

But now I don't have any inclination to watch or listen to matches in the modern Premier league at all.

I just find it boring and predictable, with the same teams vying for the major trophies season after season.

Can we really call it a Premier league when there are actually three leagues within it. There is the top six, the middle eight, & the bottom six.

Of course we have some competitiveness within each of those leagues when those teams are playing each within those mini leagues.

Unfortunately, there is such a massive difference between the top six & the bottom six in money terms, which equates to buying power, that it is just like an old first division team playing a third division team back in the old days.

The vast majority of the time, a team that has been promoted, is big odds to go straight down again. You only have to look at this year's Premier League to see the promoted clubs propping up the rest.

The days of a side getting promoted then winning the Premier League will never be repeated because each year the disparity between the top six and the rest of the football pyramid gets bigger & bigger.

I don't like the direction our  beautiful game is going where a small number of clubs will always share the big trophies.

Something needs to change otherwise Football will not be anywhere near what the founding teams like Notts County wanted the Football League to be.

• Like 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,314
  • Days Won:  17

True @Robbie so True the Premier League is a joke, but then again isn't every top Football League the same all over Europe? Scotland it's Rangers or Celtic. Spain Real Madrid or Barcelona Germany Bayern Munich ( Bayer Leverkusen won this year but expect Munich to be back next) It's the same in Italy Turkey etc With one or two teams and on the odd occasion more teams fighting it out for that Countries Major Trophies. And as you have said in the Past a European Super League will Emerge it's only way to make things different and less Predicable. But then again once the Top six leave the Premiership, the remaining teams with the big budgets will take over from Manchester City Liverpool Arsenal etc etc. Teams such as Newcastle and Tottenham.

Somebody needs to Step in Grab Football by it's neck shake it and make it an even playing field for Every Club. Can't see it Happening Though.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Unfortunately you are absolutely right and the women's game is going the same way too.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Leicester has six times the budget of Coventry, but Leicester's budget is no where close to the budgets of the top six in the Premier League.

Supporter+

The financial cap should be smaller. 

This new proposal will not reduce the difference between the haves and have nots to any significant degree 

Supporter+

This is now getting ridiculous. They ban FA Cup replays because the big clubs say they have too many fixtures, now the big Clubs want an extra league match played in the USA to make even more money.

Supporter+

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  36

I don’t watch any premier league games anymore and I couldn’t even tell you who is currently top, that is how little interest I now have in it. 
Football started going wrong back in the early 80s when the football league gave in to some clubs threats to breakaway unless they got to keep all home receipts. That just meant that the big clubs got a whole lot bigger and the gap started to widen. Then a few years later they broke away anyway and formed the premier league and widened the gap even more. Then along comes the ever expanding Champions League and that makes the gap insurmountable.

They won’t be content until they’re all in a European super league with no relegation or promotion, practically having their cake and eating it

• Like 2