• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,311
  • Days Won:  17

Well this is interesting. An Article appeared on the BBC Football Website regarding Snus and typically of the BBC they didn't allow Fans a HYS section on it. So here in a nut shell is the article.

Snus is a tobacco substance which is used by players (in both the Male and Female) game) it comes in small packets like Tea Bags, which a player places it under the tongue and nicotine is slowly released into the Blood Stream, according to players it increases Mental Readiness and helps them relax and manage stress. The thing is it's addictive, it increase the risk of Oesophagus and Pancreatic Cancer and an increase in Heart Disease and mouth lesions.

Now the Best Bit. Snus is ILLEGAL to be Sold  in the UK, But NOT Against the Law. Well which is it? Surely if it's Illegal in the UK It Should Be Against The Law. Players have stated they purchase Snus from certain shops while others buy it on line. Why aren't these shops closed down? Why aren't these on line outlets also shut down? Truly the mind Boggles. Over 50% of players using this  drug (because that's what it is) want to Quit and what do the  Higher Ups in the FA do? The Usual ignore it and hope it goes away. It is the opinion of this writer, that it should be Banned and all players should be helped to kick the habit by the Footballing Authorities.

I would hope  any Notts Players who have become addicted to Snus would approach the Club and ask for help, in fact hopefully any Notts player with a problem with addiction, be it Snus (or any other Drug) Gambling or Alcohol will be helped, which I am sure they would. I would like to hear other Magpie Fans view on the Subject.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Until now I’ve never heard of snus but apparently it’s similar to snuff but it’s not snorted up the nose.

When I was younger I used to take snuff up the nose to help me stop smoking, it was perfectly legal and available easily from tobacconists, the old chaps in the printers I worked for took snuff so I started taking it but it is very addictive like smoking, luckily I was able to kick both habits.

I don’t know why Snus is illegal if it’s snuff based, it doesn’t make sense, I hope the players who use it can get help, an addiction to anything is not good.

• Like 3

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,400
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Thanks for posting about Snus @Wheelbarrow repair man

I had never heard of this and had no idea that a big percentage of top professional players are taking it.

Surely if it is being used as a supplement it should be banned & the FA and EFL should make it clear that it's use in the game will not be tolerated. 

Why is it legal to use but illegal to buy or sell in the UK? That just doesn't make any sense. Why do they make laws with loop holes?

Footballers are role models for young people and if they get wind of this youngsters are likely to take up the habit.

Here is an article on Snus in Football from Sky news.

https://news.sky.com/story/one-in-five-professional-footballers-using-snus-or-tobacco-free-nicotine-pouches-says-study-13144487

• Like 2

@Robbie

I would think that until something serious happens to a Player (Male or Female) such has collapsing during a game or a player developing a heart condition or cancer which can be linked to Snus, the Powers that be will ignore the problem ( much like linking dementia to heading one of the Old Leather footballs). 

Looking deeper into the subject over the past few seasons Players have collapsed during a game, could the use of Snus be part of the reason for their problem? This is of course if it can be proved the player as used the drug, on a regular basis. In fact would Medical Staff even look for a link between, Snus and the players condition?  

You are completely correct regarding Footballers being a Role Model to Young Fans. If memory serves  former Forest and Leeds player Duncan McKenzie  confessed to smoking a packet of 20 cigarettes a day and the Sun Newspaper at the time was up in arms about it and how McKenzie was setting a very bad example for  youngsters. But looking at his addiction did smoking his packet  cigarettes, give him the same buzz as Snus does to modern day players?

• Like 2

Supporter+

In the Sky news article @Wheelbarrow repair man a football club coach described one single SNUS pouch ss equivalent to smoking 4 cigarettes at once.

In the sky article it mentions that players taking it have ignored club bans, so it looks like individual clubs have tried to ban it's use but without success.

If it is not illegal to take, I suppose it will be hard to ban, but surely they could ban it's use in the confines of the workplace, just like cigarettes are. 

And what about the junior section of clubs. What are the clubs doing to prevent it's use by academy and junior players?

It appears by all accounts that SNUS usage is going to be a growing problem in football.

• Like 2

@Robbie

I've read the Sky report and it's says more or less what the BBC article said. It would appear that Snus should be Banned outright by the FA and any player should run the risk of also being Banned for using it. 50% players using it want to stop so an outright Ban can only be the way Forward, you'd think wouldn't you? Those players affected should then be given all the necessary  Help in combating their Addiction.

• Like 2

Supporter+

Agree @Wheelbarrow repair man

Snus should be banned for a variety of reasons. 

1. To protect junior players full stop.

2. To protect senior players from the harmful & long term effects.

3. To stop the use of Cnus from spreading throughout sport in general 

4. To stop the use spreading to the general population any more than it has.

So I believe it should be banned full stop by the government, or at the very least, to ban all sports persons from using it.

• Like 2