Is There A Danger?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

Is There A Danger of the National England Football  Team becoming a less Potent Force, within World Football? As the influx of Foreign players and Coaches in the Premier League seems to get larger with each passing season, how soon will it be before it's starts having an effect on the England Team? Because it seems that there are less and less English Players coming through the Ranks of Footballing Academies in the Premier League. From which all England players are chosen.

The Fault lies purely at the feet of the F.A. due to the fact they allow far to many Foreign business people take over the running of a Team ,who instead of encouraging Home Grown Talent, will go out and pay millions upon millions of pounds on players, mainly from Overseas, While English talent is left to go to waste. If this trend continues it will have an effect on future England Teams, who's manager may find himself in the Position of having to look at players from the Championship and perhaps even League 1. 

The Exception to the rule at the moment anyway seems to be Liverpool. Who used several of their Academy players in their first team against Chelsea in the Final of the League Cup. However with the retirement of Jurgen Klopp, will Liverpool tend to go the way most Premier League clubs do and buy their talent instead of picking players from their thriving Academy?

What Is The Answer? This problem as already been touched upon by other members on the PON Site and that is Only a certain amount of Foreign players will be allowed in a Teams Squad and only a set number can turn out each week in the Starting XI, the remainder should be made up of English Players and every Club should be encouraged to produce players from within the Ranks of their Academies. Ignore bringing on English Talent, and eventually there is a chance of England becoming A Second Class Footballing Nation.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,916
  • Days Won:  162

no, i think its only a good thing that the best players are attracted to playing in england. good home-grown players will thrive on this but clubs need to continue to give them a chance. there was a point where a lot of premier league teams did not have many breakthrough stars that were english but this has really turned around. we have plenty coming through and whilst we are doing well on the world stages, this will naturally help more talent to come through.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,489
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Excellent article @Wheelbarrow repair man 

It's already having an effect on the England team.

We've seen the British style of play in our league structure disappearing before our eyes during the last 25 years 

We've discussed the advent of the continental style of play into our game, and I for one would like to see a move back to the British style.

The big influence of foreign coaches and players has seen the takeover of the continental style, which needs to be reversed in my opinion.

We won the World Cup by employing our own style of play and if it could work then, it could work now.

As you know I would like to have a cap on foreign players in the Premier League so that home players get much more game time in our top league.

I know that some will say that the League would be devalued by having a cap, but I disagree.

Lots of home players are stuck in the lower leagues because there is a more stringent cap on foreign players there, but the standard of play in the lower leagues is good.

We won most of our European Cups UEFA Cups & Cup winners Cups by playing the British style, so mixing up each style could be successful for England.

Academies are teaching young players how to play the continental short passing game, nowadays, so I don't think there will ever be a cap introduced & unfortunately the British style will disappear completely over time.

• Like 1

Unfortunately @Robbie  you speak the truth and even here at Notts we are witnessing the decline of the English/British way of playing. The Tippy Tappy style of Football which was successful for the Magpies in the National League and for the first six months of last season seems here to stay. Perhaps the only way it would be gotten rid of, is if Notts endured a season long Relegation Battle and in the worse case were actually Relegated back to the National League. Otherwise we Fans are going to be stuck watching this Mind Numbing Boring Chuckle Brother's From Me To You Type Of Football.

As you also state there are English Players stuck in the Lower Leagues, who if they were members of a Premier League Team would be playing for England on a Regular Basis. Prime Example Macca what sort of Headlines would he be getting if his scoring records of the Last Three seasons (2 with Notts 1 with Gateshead) were done for a top Premier League Team.? He be on the same level as Harry Kane and playing along side him in the England Team. Then again Knowing  Southgate he probably wouldn't.

Another Interesting point Top English players are now plying their trade in Europe. Jude Bellingham at Real Madrid, Harry Kane at Bayern Munich and Jordon Sancho must be kicking himself, by leaving Dortmund for Manchester United, it would seem his life as been hell at Old Trafford. Once he returned to Dortmund on loan, his Footballing Career began to  be back on the Up.

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  282
  • Days Won:  1

Good read, but I don't think there's much to worry about. England will adapt to any style. The game will always prevail. There are more young English players in the Premier League now than a few years ago.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man and don't forget the loan system where the vast majority of loanees being loaned out by PL clubs are home grown academy players looking for playing experience at a lower league club.

Like I've said before, I hope Notts mix it up with each style just to keep our opponents guessing. Alassana Jatta looks like he will excel with route one and direct play. 

If he is going to be a regular Notts have to play to his strengths, & Notts have been successful when they have gone route one, but we haven't seen it enough as far as I'm concerned.

I will be intrigued on how Notts start this new season.

• Like 1

That's whole point @liampie will English up and coming talent be given the chance to pit their skills against good Foreign players in the Premiership ? Because for every Haaland Salah and Son there is a bunch of Mediocre Foreigners playing for teams that are stopping young Talented English players getting into their Club's Starting XI. Eventually this will have an Effect on the English National  Side.

It seems a lot of English Talent is going to Europe Now, as European Clubs recognize their worth where Premier League Clubs Do Not. How long will it be before we see Jack Grealish in a Spanish  Italian or German team's shirt?  How much more English talent will move abroad because they don't Get A Fair Crack Of The Whip in England's Premier League? However it seems if an English player moves abroad unless he continually makes the Headlines e.g. Bellingham and Kane they seem to be forgotten by England. And yet if they had been given a chance to play regularly by an English top team they very well could end up playing on a regular basis for their Country.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Grealish is suffering because he isn't getting regular games, looks like he needs another loan period at Notts so long as Man City pay 99% of his wages.

Well we can only dream.😀

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

@OoooooTommy there are more young English players in the Premier League now than a few years ago. Which is all well and Good. But I ask again, Will that English Talent get the chance to play regularly for their team or be continually loaned out, because their place in their Club's Squad is taken by a Overseas player? And with the vast Majority of Premier League Clubs being coached by Foreign Coaches, it would seem they have a Preference for Foreign Players over English Players.

And That Is Wrong and Doesn't Benefit the England Team.

Edited by Wheelbarrow repair man
  • Like 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Another important point as I see it.

Have you noticed the rich clubs buy players from their rivals then finish up loaning them out again.

This seems to happen to home players the most.

So they had regular games at their old club, then struggle to get any games at their new bigger club, unless they are loaned out.

• Like 1

Yes @Robbie I do notice, Prime Example Jordan Sancho, Manchester United paid £73 million for him, increased wages No Doubt and he fell out with Ten Hag won't apologies gets left out of the United Squad. Goes back to Dortmund on loan who want to re-sign him but can't because despite United being prepared to take a loss, they're asking price is still to much for Dortmund, who if they did manage to scrape together the money to buy Sancho, would he be prepared to take a considerable drop in money? Probably Not so he'll be banded about by his agent to other clubs, and all the time it takes him to find another Club, the more his Football Suffers.  And he'll end up playing an odd season at one club, before moving on to another a Football Nomad for the rest of his career. 

• Like 1

Supporter+

You've hit it right on the head about the loan system @Wheelbarrow repair man and Sancho for me is a sad example of it.

Not sure how long Sancho's contract is but if he is stuck in a long one he will be stuck in limbo for a long time.

And England are going to suffer too, but his form might pick up again now he's back at Dortmund.

Your point about having to choose some players from the Championship  and even league 2 is an important point too.

There were some really good players in the Championship like Keinan Dewsbury-Hall, who plays for Leicester, now in the PL,  a central midfielder, who could be worth a look by Southgate.

• Like 1

Trouble is as you say @Robbie, If a player doesn't play in the Top Six Clubs a Great Deal of the Time Southgate will over look a player. He's always had his favourites and that on occasion as Cost England.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,916
  • Days Won:  162

@Wheelbarrow repair man the only concern  i have is losing talented english youngsters to teams like germany. we have more going overseas which brings something different to the team and plenty of very good players coming through premier league teams. championship and league one wise, clubs are looking to by english talent. teams like liverpool though do overlook them and allow their own good prospects to go which is disappointing.

it just gives another team the chance to pick them up, we are producing some of the very best players but internationally we are not always the best.

• Like 2

Supporter+

I also think that there could be a time when owners of the richest clubs buy some clubs in the lower leagues and use them as feeder clubs to allow younger players to get regular game time.

I've read that in English football  the operation of an external feeder team is prohibited, and so the agreements are more informal, and usually between local teams.

"Teams may have a feeder club for a number of reasons, including the ability to loan out inexperienced youngsters, to allow young, foreign players to gain a work permit, or for business purposes, such as merchandising".

So teams like Man City, Man Utd, Spurs & other English clubs have informal agreements with foreign clubs to be able to conduct this type of business. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_feeder_teams_in_football#:~:text=In English football the operation,and usually between local teams.

Looks like the number of feeder clubs is much more wide spread than I realised.

How long before the FA make it legal in the UK to have large clubs "married" to smaller clubs?