New League Points System

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  17

With lots of things changing in the Game and New Ideas coming to the Fore. I thought I'll throw in my Two Pence Worth.

Currently if a team wins a Game they get 3 points, and 1 point for a Draw. How about this.

WIN 3 POINTS

Score Draw 2 POINTS

No Score Draw  1 Point

Over All Aggregate Victory Over two Matches ( Notts 2 Opponents 0. Opponents 1 Notts 1 AGG Notts 3 Opponents 1) Notts extra League Point.

THOUGHTS ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  153
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Very good ideas @Wheelbarrow repair man

I'll throw in some ideas myself 

3 points for a win.

1 bonus point for scoring 3 goals or more.

If a side wins 4:3 or 5:4 the winner gets 4 points, the loser gets 1 point.

1 point each for a 0:0, 1:1 or 2:2 draw. 2 point each for 3:3 draw or more

Also penalty shootout: if a match finishes as a draw. 1 bonus point for the winner of the penalty shootout after a draw after 90 mins.

So if it's 0:0,1:1 or 2:2 winner of PS gets 2 points, loser 1

If the match ends 3:3 winner gets 3 points, loser gets 2 points.

This would encourage sides to score goals and get the chance to get extra points if the match ends in a draw 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,102
  • Days Won:  2

The current system should be maintained, with no points awarded for a loss and one point for a draw, irrespective of the circumstances. Implementing a new point system like this could potentially spoil the essence of football.

• Like 6

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,069
  • Days Won:  2

Sorry, but there are certain aspects of football that should remain untouched. Awarding two points for a draw based on goals seems akin to giving a participation medal just for taking part.

• Like 4

Supporter+
32 minutes ago, KingMaynard said:

The current system should be maintained, with no points awarded for a loss and one point for a draw, irrespective of the circumstances. Implementing a new point system like this could potentially spoil the essence of football.

22 minutes ago, NottsTastic said:

Sorry, but there are certain aspects of football that should remain untouched. Awarding two points for a draw based on goals seems akin to giving a participation medal just for taking part.

@Wheelbarrow repair manIt's just a bit of fun guys. Of course it will never happen.😀

• Like 4

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  54

Yeah, very interesting, I will add to your ideas @Wheelbarrow repair man

I think you’d need to up a win to 4 points, if you wanted to award 2 points for a score draw. A 1 point gap between a score draw and win doesn’t feel fair to me, a win needs to be properly rewarded. And in your system a score draw and a win on penalty shootout gets you 3 points too! Feels like you're over-rewarding drawing.

Also @Robbie part of me thinks if you’re going to add bonus points for scoring would it then makes sense to reward good defending too? Add bonus point for a clean sheet?

• Like 6

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  17

@Robbie

That's All Rather Confusing Really. Before your Second Post I assumed you were having a Bit Of Laugh. 

@KingMaynard and @NottsTastic

My intension was giving Teams who draw a match  be it 1-1 3-3 or even 5-5. More reward than a Boring 0-0 draw and perhaps encourage teams to go out and Score. Maybe the Extra Point for an Aggregate Victory was a little on the Nose. But I Still Stand By My Idea Of 2 Points for a Score Draw.

I can't Remember if there was much Debate about changing 2 points for a Win to 3 Points for a Win ?

And also remember before Penalties were introduced in European Matches, if two sides were level on Aggregate those matches were decided on the Toss of a Coin.

• Like 4

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Fun fact.

If the points system had been as I suggested with the number of goals of three or more scored in games, Notts would probably have made the playoffs with the extra points awarded.

• Like 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  485
  • Days Won:  1

To add a bit of excitement, one could consider eliminating points for draws, thus making winning games a necessity. However, it’s unlikely that the current point system could undergo such a change. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to see the outcome if points were awarded solely for victories.

• Like 4

Supporter+
8 hours ago, JIMBO said:

To add a bit of excitement, one could consider eliminating points for draws, thus making winning games a necessity. However, it’s unlikely that the current point system could undergo such a change. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to see the outcome if points were awarded solely for victories.

I think your suggestion might have some merit 

It would certainly cut out the negativity of playing for a draw, & would certainly change the mindset of some Managers including a certain Gareth Southgate.

• Like 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I would be in the camp of wishing nothing like this would happen, because it would mess with the way scores have been handled for decades.

Yet, by drawing, earning no points - theoretically would mean managers and players would push themselves more to win. It could have an impact that makes games more exciting because teams will want those points. 😛 

• Like 3

Supporter+

Good point @Chris regarding nil points for a draw.

No more shutting up shop to play for a draw. Would certainly make a difference to the World Cup and Euro finals, & Champions league. 

The organisers may as well go for just pure knockout once again. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

i think 0-0 could equal no points, where as anything higher could be rewarded with a point because it shows that the teams did not settle for a goalless draw.

then again giving no points for draws would mean teams had to attack.

i dont think any of these would help the underdog teams that might have a great one off season due to winning and drawing games though.

• Like 1