• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Who remembers the good old Palais where I met the lovely Mrs. T. 52 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  153
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

That place was our go to place every Friday night for quite a while.

Met my first wife & mother of my three children there 49.5 years ago. 

There was a live group playing on the top floor at the time "You ain't seen nothing yet"

Then there was the disco on the bottom floor. It was called Bali Hai

Girls dancing around their handbags.Avoided those who asking for a brandy & babycham.

Pint of Lager 50 p a pint. That was expensive then

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Supporter+

@robbie the resident group when I regularly went was called “Red Sun” and yes I remember the downstairs disco with the revolving dance floor and the balcony above the main dance floor where you could sit and watch the dancing below. Happy days.

• Like 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  17

Often heard of the Palais but Never Actually went there. I know quite a Few Guys who have Fond Memories of the Place. And a few Stories that would make your Teeth Curl. 

The main Story which is clean enough to repeat  here is. A chap I used to work with Nev he used to hang around with a Gang way back (1950,s) and in their Gang was a Lad called Big John, who was into all this Charles Atlas Bodybuilding Stuff. When he danced with a girl he'd pick her up Twirl her round in the Air and then catch her. Many a time I was told you'd see a girl John had danced with staggering around the Dance floor as if she was Drunk.

On one Occasion a member of the  Gang was on the Balcony and he shouted down to Big John. Hey Johnny Boy Catch me, Big John stood with his arms open as  if he would catch his mate, who launched himself off the Balcony, expecting Big John to catch him. But  Big John just spun round and Walked away. If that Story is True I don't know or if Nev was just pulling My Leg as it were, True or Not I found it Very Funny.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I can't tell if this is the building which is now @super_pie's college.

I found this article searching: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-68167056

Looking at Street View, it does look to be the same building Jake goes to now. I know it used to be a night club, though I have never been into that. I don't like the night life scene, I don't see the enjoyment of it.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  3,376
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I think you’re correct, @Chris. It appears that the main entrance is opposite what used to be Argos. I wasn’t aware of what the building used to be other than a nightclub.

It’s lovely to see some of the memories being shared.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

no way would i be one for dancing, i have two left feet and i dont like being watched but i do think its sad how some nice traditions have slowly died off. it sounds like a nice way to meet a partner, i am not sure you would get a long term relationship from someone clubbing. its all in the moment but a lot of these dance halls and other meeting points have died off or are slowly becoming quiet places.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Well blow me The Palais has new owners and is going to be refurbished and re-opened.

Read about it here:

Landmark dancing venue to reopen under new owners https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cqqlp1nwxe5o

• Like 3
  • Love 1

At least it's going to return to a More Understandable Name The Palais.

Pryzm What  Sort of Name Is Pryzm. What a Load of Cobblers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  153
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

It's great news that the Palais is reopening with it's original name.

Will they be holding a nostalgic oldies night, 65 plus only, to invite the old regulars?

Grab a granny night, excuse the pun.

• Haha 1

@Robbie

Not sure about an over 65's Night. You're bound to trip over somebody's Zimmer Frame. All the Dances would look the Same The Robot due to Arthritis. And the Drugs, what about the Drugs !! High Blood Pressure Tablets, Heart Tablets,  Pain Killers, Vicks Synex, Cough Syrup. Finding somebody's False Teeth in your glass of Vodka. And could you Imagine the Line of People waiting to use the Toilets? People telling the DJ to turn his Music down because it was to Damn Loud. The Para Medics on stand by in case some Old Guy doing the Twist going round and round and up and down, he goes down but can't  get back up again.

Then there's the Old Girlfriend you run into, the Pretty Slim young thing you knew all those years ago looks like she's been eaten by the Old Gal your talking to Now. The smell of Est De Lauder as been replaced by the Smell of Vick rub on and Ralgex. And all they want to talk about is their Grandkids. Then there's the Blokes all Reeking of Brut or Old Spice. not being able to get around the Dance floor like they used to, because their Walking Stick gets in the way. Their once Mane of thick hair is now Thinning and Grey. Perhaps the one saving Grace would be the Price of Beer the same Price on the Night as it was 45 years ago. Now that might be a good reason to turn up. I of course write this as an over 65 year old.😂

• Haha 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

On 25/07/2024 at 16:49, Fan of Big Tone said:

Well blow me The Palais has new owners and is going to be refurbished and re-opened.

Read about it here:

Landmark dancing venue to reopen under new owners https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cqqlp1nwxe5o

I noticed this on Facebook today, I could have sworn the building was Jake's college. 😂

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man I nearly choked on my coffee reading your post, hilarious. :rollonfloorlaughing:

On 26/07/2024 at 11:03, Robbie said:

Grab a granny night, excuse the pun.

@Robbie I've already got a granny, my wife. 😜

• Haha 2