Favourite Childrens Programmes

Chris

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,276
  • Days Won:  69

Settle down now, Tony.They were quite daring in their time ,weren't they. :sweat:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Settle down now, Tony.They were quite daring in their time ,weren't they. :sweat:

Yes quite raunchy at times.

Think it's time we got back to kids programmes now Tony. :rolleyes:

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

Is that get back to kids programs in your younger years or now? <_<:P

You're living up to your user name again K8 :angel:

You're living up to your user name again K8 :angel:

I was expecting that also super ram.

Smartypants. :biggrin:

Supporter+

I just found Bill and Ben on youtube on my phone and sat my 4 year old grandson down to watch it on the phone, he was engrossed just as I was at his age.

In fact I can remember the episode, Bill and Ben play with cabbages they find and start bouncing around on them like space hoppers but Bill loses his and then you get the old song "was it Bill or was it Ben" and you have to say which flowerpot man lost his cabbage. 4 year old George piped up straight away "it was Bill".

Even though it was in black and white and on a small phone screen he really enjoyed it, just goes to show that these programmes are timeless.

What was it about Bill And Ben that makes it so good? It was all very amateurish and as you've said, Tony ,in black and white and there wasn't really much of a story to them yet kids love it.( and us two as well)

I mentioned a couple of months ago  playing Laurel and Hardy for Jake and how he was splitting his sides with laughing. Another example of entertainment that is timeless. :thumbsup:

Supporter+

What was it about Bill And Ben that makes it so good? It was all very amateurish and as you've said, Tony ,in black and white and there wasn't really much of a story to them yet kids love it.( and us two as well)

I mentioned a couple of months ago  playing Laurel and Hardy for Jake and how he was splitting his sides with laughing. Another example of entertainment that is timeless. :thumbsup:

Yes, I'm sure there are a lot of old kids programmes and classic comedy that would still make kids laugh today, I think I'll try and find some Mr. Pastry for George tomorrow to see how he likes that. You can't beat good old slap stick.

I'd forgotten about Mr .Pastry Another hilarious performer from the 50's.

Do you remember a programme presented  by(I think) Bob Monkhouse featuring all the old silent movie stars.If you wanted slapstick then that was the programme to watch-Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton, Harry Langdon, Charlie Chaplin and of course The Keystone Cops.Wonderful! :thumbsup:

Supporter+

I'd forgotten about Mr .Pastry Another hilarious performer from the 50's.

Do you remember a programme presented  by(I think) Bob Monkhouse featuring all the old silent movie stars.If you wanted slapstick then that was the programme to watch-Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton, Harry Langdon, Charlie Chaplin and of course The Keystone Cops.Wonderful! :thumbsup:

If I am honest I can't remember that one Super Ram but then you are CONSIDERABLY older than me. :waving:

Going back to Mr. Pastry I guess the modern day equivalent would be Mr. Tumble, George loves him.

tonyhateleyIf I am honest I can't remember that one Super Ram but then you are CONSIDERABLY older than me. :waving:

I checked and found the Programme was called 'Mad Movies' and was on tv in 1966 when I was 19 and you, being CONSIDERABLY, can't remember?

Do you even remember the other small event of that year.Tut Tut. :shocked::thumbsup:

Supporter+

tonyhateley

I checked and found the Programme was called 'Mad Movies' and was on tv in 1966 when I was 19 and you, being CONSIDERABLY, can't remember?

Do you even remember the other small event of that year.Tut Tut. :shocked::thumbsup:

Ah, now you have named the programme I do remember it. I was actually 14 in that year and remember the "small event" well. my mum and Dad who weren't the slightest interested in football had considerately booked a holiday and we travelled to Southsea that day. We arrived at our guest house as the final was being played and the lady owner 'helpfully' kept popping in and telling us the score as we were unpacking.

I wanted to shout JUST LET ME WATCH IT!

Me and my mates went on holiday to Blackpool on THAT Saturday. We were due in Blackpool about 1.30 (having left Alfreton by Trent bus at 7.30 and endured a tour of half of Derbyshire picking passengers up) but were stuck in traffic outside Deepdale ,Preston at 1pm.The bus eventually pulled into the Blackpool bus park on Bloomfield Road(another football venue) at about 2.15 pm.We rushed along the seafront as best as we could with our suitcases,  to our boarding house which was on a road near The Tower..We arrived at 2.55 and went straight into the tv lounge,suitcases and all and just about settled  down as the match kicked off. There were 6 lads the same age as us already watching and unfortunately when they spoke to us we immediately realised they were Scottish. Needless to say there was a fair bit of banter with the Scots supporting Germany but it was all good humoured.

I don't remember much of the night,  after about 9pm,  but one thing that has stuck in my mind all these years is the number of people who were completely unaware of or indifferent to the fact that ENGLAND HAD WON THE WORLD CUP. :o

We put "Open all hours" on for Jake on netflix a couple of weeks ago and he was laughing his head off just as much. Its quite funny how kids like the older stuff just as much as we do. I can't say the same about most of their newer favourite programmes though.. apart from a few.

Some programmes are timeless, especially the ones with slapstick.

• 4 weeks later...

• Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

I used to like watching Rainbow with my kids when they were young. My favourite as a child was Pinky and Perky.

Archived