"The Perfect Football Chant"

liampie

From the names; ‘Notts’ County, never Nottingham County for example, to the chants, the rivalry Notts fans have with Forest provides an example of this.

While I agree that some chants are always unacceptable - those ridiculing characteristics individuals cannot choose; race, gender or sexual orientation for example - to completely remove chants would irrevocably alter and damage a valuable tradition, a tradition which also brings out more positive traits; camaraderie, loyalty, humour and the ability to face adversity.

The ‘wheelbarrow song’ is a perfect example of this and for me sums up all that is good about football chanting.

For those who haven’t heard it, to the tune of ‘Old Smoky’, it is simply;

“I had a wheelbarrow, the wheel fell off, I had a wheelbarrow, the wheel fell off, County, County, Countyâ€

Why then is that the perfect football chant?

First, its origins are disputed, rooted in folklore and the memories of famous comebacks at Shrewsbury Town or misfortune depending who you believe. 

Secondly, it’s simple and inclusive. It uses no divisive language or themes, but it brings a community together, finishing with a rousing rendition of “County, County, Countyâ€. 

Thirdly, it is self-deprecating; the inference being that as a club we are so unfortunate that even our wheelbarrow is broken. 

good read on the official site http://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/article/blog-why-the-wheelbarrow-song-is-the-perfect-football-chant-1960903.aspx

Ellie(Notts-joe's eldest daughter,my grand-daughter) sat on my knee for most of one of last season's games singing The wheelbarrow song endlessly.

Supporter+

My grandson George likes to sing it at home but he's too shy to do it at the match. It's great for kids as it's so easy to remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived