Why Football?

Cobby

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  627
  • Days Won:  11

Why is it that you follow football?  Not necessarily what got you started following it, but more why you continue to follow it

Is it the match-day/Saturday experience, is it watching the battle of athletes in the arena of football or is it just a case of having a team to root for?

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

There is nothing else like it... to give you the range of emotions and the rollercoaster...

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

Just the whole experience really. I don't want it to come across as a sob story, but my Dad took me to my first game in 2005 before sadly passing away that August, so I never got the chance to go with him again. But he'd done his duty in introducing me to the beautiful game, and I went with his mate as often as I could. I guess it gave me something to look forward to every week, I loved it.

When we moved to Weymouth, I missed seeing Notts a hell of a lot, hence I started watching Weymouth. When you follow a smaller club, you really do feel part of a family, and it's the same with Notts. I suffered badly with depression for years but football gave me that release, something to look forward to, something to enjoy. I still look forward to every game as much as I ever did. I try and get to as many games as I possibly can just to get out a bit. Most of my friends I've met through football and I really don't know what I'd do with myself if I didn't have football.

There's nothing else like it for me. Not just the rollercoaster of emotions you go through, but its feeling part of something, and that feeling of representing your hometown when you go away from home. Love the travelling too, visiting places you wouldn't otherwise go to. I love everything about it, and when the full time whistle blows and your team have come out on top, there's no feeling quite like it. The result used to determine my mood for the rest of the week, that's how bad I used to be. I'm not quite as bad as that anymore but I still head off to work with more of a spring in my step after a victory.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's a good question, one which you'll have to reserve for another 'Meet the Fans' @Cobby.

I think for me I got into football wanting to be better than my brother @william1984, I wasn't all that interested until he started dragging me about and although I would watch it on TV. I think it's the fact I loved to play that got me so involved within the sport. Why do I follow/support a club? Well I've said it many times, my Grandfather. I think anyone from Nottingham should support either Notts County or Mansfield. @jsrjay ;)

Even terrible games you have something of interest which happens, it's just thrilling and exciting.

• Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  1

Simple answer: I love it!!

Played as a kid, Sunday League and now I coach. Best part of it all is match day, whether on a corporate day at Old Trafford, freezing at the back of the Kop or standing in the rain in Duffield getting hammered 22-0 the feeling is the same for me, I Love It.

And all that surrounds it, pint in Hooters on the way to the MLSB. Pint in the local watching a Champions League game or flask of Coffee pitchside with the parents of my team.

So much more I could go on forever, travelling to a ground I've not been to before, waiting for the new seasons shirt to come out and on and on.

For me I love football at all levels, Grass Roots to the National team and long may it continue.

(it also helps the wife is a fan too)

Regards Allen. You Pies!

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

My dad(Notts-joe's grandad) took me to ML when I was very small.My husband(super_ram) and 2 sons are also football fanatics.How could I not become a football fan?

• Content Count:  80
  • Days Won:  0

All me mates used to watch it on a Sat. afternoon.

Why Notts? I used to try and get work at the cattle market on a Saturday morning unloading chickens at the auctioneers and if I made enough money I'd come to the match, either Notts or the crew over the river. When Mrs Anderson who was in charge of the junior supporters club found out she got me a job at the ground selling matchball tickets. Been a Notts fan ever since, thanx Mrs A. I still love yer after all these years.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,771
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

"Why do I watch football?" I've asked myself that many a time on a cold Tuesday night when Notts have lost.

I think my life wouldn't be quite so complete without Notts and football, it's a hobby, it's a habit, it's a passion, I just love everything about it.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

it started for as something to do and quickly became something i enjoyed, its addictive once you get involved.

• Content Count:  62
  • Days Won:  2

Played it since I was five. Came from a state where they think no sports can come from, Alaska. Walked onto a division 1 NCAA college as an attacking midfielder. Got told by the coach with the biggest win record ever in history who recruited and coached David Weir that I had the sweetest pass he'd ever seen but if I'd been 6 inches taller I would have easily been a pro. (No vertical, and one busted up ankle later) I still play as Much as 3-5 games a week. I miss the competitive part but will always been involved in all soccer. I love tradition and clubs that have survived through all and Notts is that club. Ups and downs. I will support it to the end. I honestly want to get into the football world on the business side of it all.

Archived