Teams You Have Soft Spots For

SteveMUP

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  207
  • Days Won:  1

I am strongly a United fan, I like football in general but that's it. I do not grow attached to other clubs, sure I like watching Liverpool, Arsenal and even Chelsea to a point.

Only soft spot I do have is for a League One team.

Who do you like?

Oh, I lie... West Brom!

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Arsenal, Ajax, Juventus.. Yeovil, Walsall (especially when Merson took over, sorry SadLad).. West Brom, QPR and several lower clubs.

There's many I respect but the above are teams I look out for.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,902
  • Days Won:  17

Derby County as my son in law, and a friend are supporters, so i always look to see how derby have gone.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Derby County as my son in law, and a friend are supporters, so i always look to see how derby have gone.

Ay up Magpiejue, I'm sure Super Ram on here is going to like you. :D

Ay up Magpiejue, I'm sure Super Ram on here is going to like you. :D

The derby connection is growing by the day, he will be very happy Tony!

• Content Count:  98
  • Days Won:  5

Man United and Torquay are th emain ones for me.

Joe- A big fan of Paul Merson myself fella and unlike many Saddlers I stuck by him during his spell as Walsall manager. By far the most talented player we have ever had turn out in our colours. I met him once at a function and spent about 15 mins chatting with him on our table. Brutally honest, wears his heart on his sleeve and very down to earth. Never ducked nor dived any personal questions about his vices and his women folk. Pleasure to meet The Magic Man.

Man United and Torquay are th emain ones for me.

Joe- A big fan of Paul Merson myself fella and unlike many Saddlers I stuck by him during his spell as Walsall manager. By far the most talented player we have ever had turn out in our colours. I met him once at a function and spent about 15 mins chatting with him on our table. Brutally honest, wears his heart on his sleeve and very down to earth. Never ducked nor dived any personal questions about his vices and his women folk. Pleasure to meet The Magic Man.

Yay!! I'm glad because I really liked him as a player. I have his signature somewhere! Arsenal sent me a team photo one time I wrote to them, yes it's already printed but they sold the same thing they sent me. The following year around my birthday they sent me Paul's and Dennis Bergkamp's as a present. These we're personally signed!! 

I wished I had the pleasure of meeting him, when he played as your player manager (if I recall correct) he seemed to do well, when he retired that's where I think he struggled.

He didn't have the same impact as he did as player/manager.

Thanks for sharing your memory and comment, I love hearing this like this! :D

• Content Count:  98
  • Days Won:  5

Well I met Merse a month after he had been sacked by Walsall at a question and answer session at Walsall Cricket Club. I was the first to ask a question along the lines of "How do you view your time at the club now you have left Walsall, Paul?."  His brutally honest answer was, "Well I enjoyed my debut against Albion and did okay  (he scored two wonder goals) but I was s*** after that!!"  he went into full detail about his time at Arsenal  when he used to go on booze benders with Adams and co which would last all weekend and he would get dropped off by taxi a couple of streets from Highbury on the Monday morning...without going home since the Saturday afternoon game!  He stressed that he only came from a poor family on a council estate in North London and had nothing going for him, except for the God-given talent to kick a football around. He was 35 yo when we signed him from Pompey and its the only ever time SKY Sports filmed a WFC player signing live on tv (lasted about 30 mins) and we sold about a thousand more season tickets and shirts on the back of this signing. He really raised the profile of our club. He was pushed into becoming player-manager at the end of that season when Colin Lee was sacked 5 games before the end of the season and we lost our Championship status.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,906
  • Days Won:  162

we share a lot in common with derby, players and all.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

Yes,great to hear all those who mentioned my team.

I think by now my affection for Notts must be obvious and then of course there's my home town team,Alfreton Town,who I've followed since they reformed in 1969.WOW they've come a long way.

As far as any other teams go,well I tend to look out for teams who's fans have suffered or are the underdogs,like Coventry and Portsmouth.My opinions do change though as time passes.Fickle aren't I.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,902
  • Days Won:  17

Good to see they won on Friday night, Super Ram. Wish Notts would win by 3!

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

Cheers Magpiejue and Ben Davies scored one too. :hug: I'll have to come to another Notts match as they scored 4 last time I went.

Archived