Congratulations Martin Allen

Fan of Big Tone

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Martin Allen's Gillingham have gained promotion from League 2 and will be playing Notts next season, it will be great to see him back at the Lane and I'm sure he'll get a good reception.

I'm really pleased for him after he was (in my opinion) unfairly ousted from his position at Notts.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It will be interesting next season, though he's done very well this season and Nelson's been a good signing for them. Well Done Martin Allen! If the Gills do well next season I firmly believe it will be down to these two, I would laugh (seriously) if the hughsie effect takes over for Nelson too. Westcarr's another who's finding his feet, footballers performance much higher when it's enjoyable.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,509
  • Days Won:  9

Quality manager, his interviews always made me smile. I wasn't a big fan of Ince or Curle for these reasons, neither managed to put themselves across well. Martin Allen seemed to breathe the very breath of the club, so even when we lost you could expect him to know how to lift us. He has done well for them!

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  238
  • Days Won:  10

he was a very good manager. I met him...a really good man.. very funny. And he knows a lot about football.

Was shocking to see him leaving

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

One thing I liked about Martin Allen was the way he got the players to interact with the fans. At the end o their warming up routine they would always come and applaud the fans, I was in the kop then and the fans would really appreciate this.

He also had players who weren't involved sitting with fans at matches, one match he plucked a young fan from the crowd to be mascot. There was much more involvement in the community, hospital visits, Players turning up at kids birthday parties (imagine how that would make a young fan feel), school visits etc.

All these things help the fans feel an affinity/belonging to the club, Allen was a master at that and that's why he was so popular.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

I didn't understand why he was sacked, but that's football

One thing I liked about Martin Allen was the way he got the players to interact with the fans. At the end o their warming up routine they would always come and applaud the fans, I was in the kop then and the fans would really appreciate this.

He also had players who weren't involved sitting with fans at matches, one match he plucked a young fan from the crowd to be mascot. There was much more involvement in the community, hospital visits, Players turning up at kids birthday parties (imagine how that would make a young fan feel), school visits etc.

All these things help the fans feel an affinity/belonging to the club, Allen was a master at that and that's why he was so popular.

I believe they still do this, I know some handed out easter eggs thanks Rob Bristol and co. Not sure why, though I don't think it was brought to our attention, although I did see some pictures. I had back of my eye checked and two nurses was all in excitement and this doctor sternly asked what all the fuss was about. One of the nurses whispered that our lovely club were here giving out easter eggs.

The club really should sway back to us, although there's most likely a reason why. I just hope they see the difference things like this make :)

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

Many people would say Martin Allen was good at pulling cotton wool over our eyes in the sense that he got us on his side so that we wouldnt complain too much, but I disagree with that completely. He's always acted the same at every club he's been at, and has done well everywhere he's been.

I completely echo the comments of UpThePies & TonyHately above, he knew how to interact with fans and sadly we don't see enough of that these days.

I was watching the DVD of the Juventus match the other week, and it really took me back. There was such a good atmosphere about the club, such a positive vibe at that time. We were all pulling in the same direction; everyone backed the team and manager; no bickering etc. I long for those days to return to be honest.

I really don't think any other manager could have came in when he did and kept us up just by installing a new belief into the fans and players. If he felt players werent trying or playing to the best of their abilities he wouldnt be afraid to let them know, and he wouldnt let us lose a game without a real fight. Whenever we lost, that Hartlepool game aside, the opposition would know they had been in a game!

I'm probably going on a bit but I really do miss the Mad Dog. I've never been so angry at any managers sacking in the years I've been a County fan. My Mum still gets excited when he comes on the telly (think she fancies him :P ) but I have to say I still smile at his interviews. There's just something about him that grabs your attention, and makes you listen to his every word.

Really pleased for him and all the other ex Notts boys at Gillingham, they deserve it. Whats the odds on Notts v Gillingham being the opening day fixture next season then?

• Content Count:  12,906
  • Days Won:  162

i do, i passed him the ball one time as the ball boy would not move. i think we was losing and he wanted to counter attack, think we ended up winning 2-1. he gave me the ball after and asked who my fav player was. i just froze lol

@weymouthPIE Very likely, it will be a good tie though. Will be nice to see him back :)

i do, i passed him the ball one time as the ball boy would not move. i think we was losing and he wanted to counter attack, think we ended up winning 2-1. he gave me the ball after and asked who my fav player was. i just froze lol

Great story mate, I tend to freeze myself sometimes. You learn to move but I still make a fool of myself every now and then!!

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

Me and my mum went to Swindon Town in April 2011 when we were in the relegation scrap, think it was his 4th game in charge. I happened to have my head in a programme outside the game but my mum was like "did you see him?", "who, what?" I asked, turned out Mad Dog himself had walked past and said hello. So began my mums fantasy of Martin Allen haha.

I also remember going to Exeter City on a Tuesday night last season, 5 days after we'd played Juventus - and Martin was stood there inside the away end welcoming all the travelling fans. I still wish I'd gone and shook hands or asked for a photo to be honest.

Archived