Portsmouth (H)

Dripsey3

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

According to the bookies, Portsmouth are odds on favourites to win L2 this season and so far they haven't disappointed. They are 2nd in the table with 28 points (9 more than Notts). They have scored 22 goals (3 more than Notts) and conceded 12 (a massive 10 less than Notts). 

Portsmouth drew 0-0 at home to Mansfield in their last game. They didn't create many chances. Portsmouth actually have a better away record. They are unbeaten on the road in the league this season. 5 wins and 2 draws. That's impressive. 

Portsmouth have a very strong squad. They have quality in every position. Their danger man is Matt Tubbs. He has 5 goals so far this season. They also have real quality in Conor Chaplin & Gary Roberts. In fact there is a threat from every position on the pitch. 

Notts haven't beaten any of the sides above us in the table. Of the teams in the playoff places as of last Saturday, our record is won none, 1 draw & 4 defeats. That is shocking and needs to change if we are to have any chance of challenging for promotion. 

Portsmouth play good football. Notts can't allow them to play good football. They have to be knocked off their stride. We have to play for 90 minutes and not the usual 70 minutes. 

I don't see Notts getting anything out of this game. I don't believe we are tactically astute enough to get a result. I'll go for 2-1 to Pompey. Izzy with the goal. 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,727
  • Days Won:  23

Roberts is injured an Matt tubs and Chaplin ain't even gettin in the first 11 but only making the bench.

They have weak areas 1 Ben Davies at RB or LB is 34 Campbell should skin him inside out there not as great as everyone thinks.

For me if we play and put our chances away Pompey will be finished off by half time there gonna do what 99% of teams do here .

Sit back and try to hold on and Nick on the break if we defend it well they won't get nothing I think the defence is a lot better then it was against Plymouth.

If McLeod plays up top with a partner via stead via Spencer pick one and for the love of god play to lightning wingers Snidjers an Campbell.

Hopefully Milsom might get some game time Saturday
the way I see it if McLeod is in the mood and gets a chance or more hel take them.

He seems to score a lot more at home then away and the Pompey striker who's bein playin is Conor lavery

that donkey that was on loan at Chesterfield last year and he was crap

in fact for turret more Pompey have struggled to beat any team in the lower half Stevenage 1-1 Yeovil 0-0 only just be Newport 1-0 I believe.

So I don't think there gonna be anything special Plymouth weren't egxactly Brazil was they if we would of took a chance in that game we may of got a point .

If we defend like we have been we will be fine we will have 90%of the play like most of the time at home if we put a few early chances in you'll see how average teams really are.

As for me I'm going is 2-0 McLeod and Noble

Pompey are the sheff United of league 2 every year they think there goin up after 14 games then come Jan there 12th

Supporter+

I love your optimism before every game and if it played out like you think and we hoped, we'd be top of the league. Portsmouth will be one of the toughest sides we have to play this season. I don't agree that Pompey are average. If anything Notts are average, below average even when you look at the table. Yes Notts should have beat Accrington at home, we didn't. Yes we should have got something out of Plymouth at home, we didn't. That's the difference though, the teams at the top are actually grinding out wins and draws in almost every game. On paper Notts should be top 3 or 4 at this stage, and that might be the case at the end of the season, but right now Notts are an average side in an even league. The table doesn't lie.......

maybe they will but there not Brazil there beatable Plymouth were beatable Accrington were beatable it's not optimism .

It's just bein clinical we score first confidence rocks through the roof Pompey ain't beat many teams in the lower end of table so

Supporter+

You're missing the point. Beatable but not beaten. Notts haven't won the games they should have won. That's why we are where we are. Beating Pompey would send a message of intent, but I don't see it as a game we should win. Any positive result would be a bonus.

no it wouldn't tho would it for all you know we could beat Pompey 2-0 and lose to Yeovil away what would send out a message is a win against Pompey an then Northamphton.

That would be a 5 game unbeaten run in the form table at home we are 2nd away from home is were we have messed up now we have a settled defence.

oh it's not much of a indication 14 games in if it was 23games and we was 16th I'd say @Dripsey I agree with you but after 15games I don't .

You have you're opinion I have mine we just see things different Pompey are unbeaten away we have only lost 2 at home.

The way I see it is you're glass is half empty mine is half full come May aslong as were in top 6 that's all a care about

I don't think Portsmouth will think there just just gonna come here an steamroll it because no team has just steamed us I think they'll find it a lot harder then they think.

anyway my view let's just hope the lads win 3-0 and prove you dead wrong

Supporter+

You say every team is average so surely anything less than the title would be disappointing no? I look at it from a different perspective obviously. I can see the qualities of other sides. I don't think Notts are the best team in the division based on performances so far. Teams are above us on merit.

cause every team is average and yes we should be aiming for top spot simple reasons why we ain't in top half 1 we didn't buy a centre back .

2 we haven't had a settled back line 3 to much Chopin and changing leaving subs to late when the away team are gathering momentum

Every team do have good players but the way you go on is like every team is Argentina when in truth they ain't so what what Plymouth beat us .

Were they great Noo they just had a stand out striker in Rubén Reid so yea me and you have diffrent views that's our opinions end of day

Supporter+

But you are basing it on their performance against Notts only. Are Morecambe really 3 goals better than Notts? Nope, yet they beat us by 3 goals. Are Accrington as good as us? Nope. Are Dagenham as good as us? Not a chance. Plymouth have 32 points from 45. That's phenomenal. They are a quality side and there's no disgrace losing to them. Same goes for Portsmouth. Notts are still finding their feet and won't go up this season IMO but I do expect us to be in Plymouth's position next season and I'll settle for that.

But you are basing it on their performance against Notts only. Are Morecambe really 3 goals better than Notts? Nope, yet they beat us by 3 goals. Are Accrington as good as us? Nope. Are Dagenham as good as us? Not a chance. Plymouth have 32 points from 45. That's phenomenal. They are a quality side and there's no disgrace losing to them. Same goes for Portsmouth. Notts are still finding their feet and won't go up this season IMO but I do expect us to be in Plymouth's position next season and I'll settle for that.

If we get promotion this year anyway you have to buy me a pizza 😁🍕🍕

If we mess it up il day dripsey you was right next year is our year if not then we are screwed

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  227
  • Days Won:  1

Our recent record against Pompey is very good, and I expect us to win, 2 or 3 -1 ,and at 2-1 ish is a sound home bet, imo

Our recent record against Pompey is very good, and I expect us to win, 2 or 3 -1 ,and at 2-1 ish is a sound home bet, imo

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Even when Portsmouth had a strong League One side we did okay against them, however I do feel it will be a difficult game.

The cliché of who 'scores' first will make a difference here. Portsmouth will bring a good crowd with them, so I hope that Meadow Lane is absolutely buzzing! We could sneak this one, whatever the outcome Portsmouth will look to play football!

• Content Count:  2
  • Days Won:  0

Roberts is injured an Matt tubs and Chaplin ain't even gettin in the first 11 but only making the bench.

They have weak areas 1 Ben Davies at RB or LB is 34 Campbell should skin him inside out there not as great as everyone thinks.

For me if we play and put our chances away Pompey will be finished off by half time there gonna do what 99% of teams do here .

Sit back and try to hold on and Nick on the break if we defend it well they won't get nothing I think the defence is a lot better then it was against Plymouth.

If McLeod plays up top with a partner via stead via Spencer pick one and for the love of god play to lightning wingers Snidjers an Campbell.

Hopefully Milsom might get some game time Saturday
the way I see it if McLeod is in the mood and gets a chance or more hel take them.

He seems to score a lot more at home then away and the Pompey striker who's bein playin is Conor lavery

that donkey that was on loan at Chesterfield last year and he was crap

Good evening.
I've read the thread as a Pompey fan and would give you this info on us.
In Burgess, Clarke and Webster we have three capable ball playing centre backs. They have been great all season. The Left back Stevens likes to get forward and takes no prisoners by hook or crook defensively. The RB is Davies. He is actually a RM player converted to RB. He is 34 but his engine is great, is brain quick and supplies some great crosses. Incidentally he must've 4 or 5 MoM awards so far.
The two defensive midfielder are Doyle and Barton. Doyle has effectively covered the defended and broken up opponents attacks. He gets and gives a 5-10 yard pass. Barton picks passes out and will try to dictate balls into Both Roberts, Bennet and Evans. These three dovetail all over the turf. Bennet carries and attacks well but lacks the consistent final ball or goal. Roberts is the class, on his game he could win this for us. Evans never stops and comes up in dangerous positions.
I expect Tubbs to start. He's the best goal poacher in the league but because its a lone striker mode, it doesn't suit him and we do suffer there.
Slavery, McGurk, Chaplin could all be on the bench.
PC has the option to bring on all three seamlessly and they have often won games for us this season.
Our style of play is to pass pass pass. It can look great or it can be boring.
At Fratton' teams have come and just sat in their own half being negative to stifle and try and nick something. We have problems with this but I'm sure we will adapt sooner rather than later.away from home teams have had to attack us and it gives us the space to play football. Hence what is a very impressive season so far.
We have struggled against lower half sides because they play a negative stifling system. Teams that have so far played their own football and given us the space are the teams we have beaten. The scores have looked close but in fact we have won well. We ripped Plymouth a new backside but only won with two pens. Oxford held out for a draw with us down to 10. Luton and Rovers both try to play good football and attack which also resulted in good results for us.
2200 tickets sold. So the fans will have a sing.
As for you. All I know is that you have played well and poorly in almost equal measures.
I hope we bring the good out for both sides and have a great game.
Good luck for the rest of the season after tomorrow and your visit to Fratton'!

we have the second best home form in the league just a few points behind Plymouth away is where we lost the plot.

But have picked up a bit now Enda Stevens we know all about we had him on loan before Our defence has improved a lot.

We have Izale up top who sure you Pompey fans know about so you know hel be a threat we have pace in Adam Campbell and if Geanro gets a start he has pace to burn aswell.

Our RB is also a young full back but looks very comfortable and also bombs forward at will great pace good delivery I think ul be surprised as we keep possession well.

And wait til you see Stanley Aborah best player you will see in this league by a million miles the bloke has class .

Let's all hope Rob Milsom is fit to play to

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

If we get anything out of this game it will be a bonus for me. We might have the players to be doing much better than we are, but the fact is we have consistently beat the teams below us and consistently lost against those above us. Our record of one point in five games against the top seven Dripsey mentioned hardly inspires confidence. Added to that, the best way to get a result against Pompey is clearly to play like the away team - soak up pressure and hit them on the break. A look at our away record will give you an idea of how good we are at that. That said, we seem to have improved defensively since Sheehan returned so hope springs eternal!

We need to hit Pompey with pace and accurate quick passing, if we can move the ball around, they'll struggle to match it but I suspect the game will start off quite slowly.

Two decent sides, one in excellent form - which at this stage slightly worries me, as it should favour our opposition.

Yet, if we apply ourselves the right way - we can get something. I would be pleased with a point but if we play well, take any chances which present themselves to our players and we remain composed at the back. There is little reason why we wouldn't be able to win this! Though, I still feel it will be a case of who scores first wins.

Supporter+

No Roberts, Tubbs or Chaplin for Pompey. Advantage Notts before a ball all is even kicked....

Only, it's who scores 2nd and 3rd wins - not the first goal!!! ;)

2-1... Brilliant comeback but these last few minutes are making me nervous. I am proud of the squad!

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

What a great game of football. That was much higher standard of game than virtually any I saw last season, and no bookings for fouls in the whole match. I thought Pompey were superb in the first half and should have been ahead, but Notts got the reward for holding on in the first 45. Pompey's support brilliant as always.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Yes a brilliant game of football by two excellent footballing teams, a credit to the division.

I thought Notts played their hearts out and the celebration for Sheehans goal was excellent it showed the team spirit within the squad when they all came over to the bench to celebrate with the manager and subs. Fantastic.

2-1 and a 2 to 1 winner, 3 points and a £100 profit, great day, Coyp

Archived