Do you think Alan Smith is right?

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm asking not to be negative but to spark discussion, when I watched this on TV - I felt it was a great segment for the F.A Cup and the way all three players speak really impressed me.

Yet, even now I wonder about two things Alan Smith said.

AS: "The club we play for now, the history of it, is something we have to protect and I think, although some players don't know it, we are proud to play for Notts County, to say we have played for the oldest football league club, in the world is a big honour."

And,

AS "It'll probably a game a lot our lads, ourselves included, will remember for a long long time to come."

--

The first part is great to hear, I mean a player like Alan Smith saying something striking and speaking of honour - yet I find myself wondering why we would need to protect our history? Which players don't know that playing for us is an honour?

And, will they remember the game for the wrong reasons?

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,727
  • Days Won:  23

I know this answer 😊😊 the likes of Jenner Audel all these imports and I ain't bein funny it should be a honour there on decent wages no doubt.

I still think we're missing the passion we had under Derry tho that's not installed in these lot 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

If some of the players don't know that they are playing for the worlds oldest league club then it's time someone told them, they should be proud to play for us but they should also give 100% and play every game to the best of their ability no matter who they play for.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

14 hours ago, Notts26 said:

I know this answer 😊😊 the likes of Jenner Audel all these imports and I ain't bein funny it should be a honour there on decent wages no doubt.

I still think we're missing the passion we had under Derry tho that's not installed in these lot 

Of course it is, however it's a honour to play for any club - even at Non League level.

If a club 'feels' you are worthy of playing for them, people should represent them to the best of their ability. This is a part of the problem with modern football, wages clubs their judgement and some don't have to break a sweat to earn a good amount (I'm directly speaking about any Notts players).

You're absolutely right - I said at the start of the season, how I would gamble bringing players like Ben Davies, Alan Sheehan, Craig Westcarr back because they know what we are about and have experienced what it takes to progress. I honestly feel, if Ricardo Moniz had a little more of this and along with real leaders - some of his tactics which leave us questioning 'em may actually work.

54 minutes ago, tonyhateley said:

If some of the players don't know that they are playing for the worlds oldest league club then it's time someone told them, they should be proud to play for us but they should also give 100% and play every game to the best of their ability no matter who they play for.

Exactly, well said @tonyhateley.

Football isn't all business and money these days, it's about entertainment, value and fans.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,727
  • Days Won:  23

this could of gone two ways bringing in imports it could of gone either oh he's amazing or oh he isn't botherd so far it's oh he ain't botherd.

They don't seem to have the passion desire or the graft about them I always believe bringing in overseas players is risky so was moniz appointment.

I mean if we are still here next year which is very likely we need a manager who knows this league knows the good players in this division and buy some from this level.

I just think we're stuck now with a lot of imports who aren't up to this standard of battle strengh  physicality.

If it's a honour to play for the club show it kiss the badge when you score battle for the ball show some passion and fire cause I ain't seen it at all so far an it's now December 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

alan smith probably meant players who was here when he arrived, we did have a bad bunch who did not seem bothered and what lead to notts struggling with relegation. that and a manager who should not have been appointed!

i doubt they will remember the game, if they do they have problems.

Guest gtownjohnno

After ASs performance for 45 minutes in that shambles of a game it makes me wonder if he????????????????????????? ......

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

There's a difference between knowing that you're playing for the world's oldest professional club and appreciating it and knowing what makes the club special. I think it's a bit unfair to point the finger at the foreign players in this regard. Players from abroad probably hadn't heard of Notts and had to make more of an effort to learn about the club.

Archived