Mental Health

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Absolute Radio are promoting 'Mental Health Takeover Thursday' and have just aired two interesting discussions on the subject.

They've spoken to Clarke Carlisle and Rachel Bruno (Frank Bruno's Daughter).

Most people will have a concern close to their heart, for me it's depression. It's something I struggle with, sometimes it's fine but when I swing it doesn't matter - the low can be extreme. What I find is people are 'quick' to judge mental health sufferers, I have worked with people with brain injuries and I was scared that this would make me 'flip' but I enjoyed 2 years where I didn't even dare to feel 'depressed' and honestly, I enjoyed making their lives better.

I would spend my free weekends taking residents to Notts games, including a blind lady who hated football and was scared of being hit by a ball - yet she went with me.

Though I do find it sad when people judge you, plus when your trying to open up people dismiss you and that can be dangerous.

On the other hand you can pretend they understand when they don't.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

I suffer from the black dog also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

i find it sad that people are quick to brand people with depression.

whilst more caring people seem to get the illness, some are just ignorant and say silly things like cheer up. i think people who talk openly despite encountering issues are brave and should be supported.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

It's OK not to feel OK. Depression is the disease of our time. It's difficult of course but it's all about taking control so that depression doesn't control you. One day you'll beat it.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  310
  • Days Won:  0

Depression does need more champions.

Celebrities are quick to attach themselves to other illness (just my opinion), yet if you look at mental illness it has always been very much misunderstood. The days of drilling into someones brain is long gone but the same thought process is found within modern life.

Supporter+

Drugs play a part in treating depression, but they are not the complete solution. Putting a person in a drug stupor is not treatment. Medication & other treatments together are a far better answer. 

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

Depression is an illness that many people are totally ignorant and find it easy to be judgmental of, it is not until it affects someone close to you that the sheer scale of the illness really hits home.

Supporter+
3 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Depression is an illness that many people are totally ignorant and find it easy to be judgmental of, it is not until it affects someone close to you that the sheer scale of the illness really hits home.

Absolutely. My mother suffers from it and it's awful to see. Thankfully she's OK at the moment, it usually hits her during the winter.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  741
  • Days Won:  2

In my opinion taking medication is the worst thing that you can do.

I have relatives who are dependant on it which is the worst outcome possible as support groups and other help based ways are better.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,179
  • Days Won:  23

I think this is because people don't know anything about depression, I myself have no clue about mental health problems but I understand they are a fragile subject and can ruin peoples lives, but I don't feel we are educated enough on mental health, I myself can't remember learning about it at school and many people won't go out of their way to learn about it.

I am always interested to learn but I honestly have very little knowledge on mental illnesses, and for someone like me its very hard to imagine what someone that has depression feels like because I simply don't know the facts or how badly it can affect someome

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Sometimes it's like you have the world against your back, it's hard to explain - you can be perfect fine and enjoying the day, then for some unknown reason it flips. I tend to find the days that I really enjoy are the ones which make me struggle the most, I hate for them to end and I wonder how long it will be until I feel that happy again.

Nobody chooses to feel unhappy, it's just something which occurs.

I'm 100mg anti depressants and I only feel numb, they help to control my mood from swaying but not when I am extremely down. I generally hate taking medication (just in general), yet when I first took anti depressants they caused me to become very forgetful, confused and the effects really didn't make much of a difference until I changed and had my dose increased. Yet I still find them to be pretty pointless and I don't qualify for counselling any-more, though I have a friend who is fully trained and thankfully I can talk to them when I need to let off steam.

Also, people with depression can laugh and seem normal - the pain is inside. If you read text, it doesn't really portray emotion and unless your totally ignorant - these things should never be formed to judge someone with a mental illness.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

17 hours ago, ohstanleyaborah said:

I am always interested to learn but I honestly have very little knowledge on mental illnesses, and for someone like me its very hard to imagine what someone that has depression feels like because I simply don't know the facts or how badly it can affect someome

i guess it affects people differently really.

bipolar is very extreme but i think its one of the types which some people target. when i was at school there was a lad with it and he got picked on for suffering from it. more needs to be done to change peoples misconception and promote awareness. 

its probably not practical but i have always wondered why charities dont fight problems together, rather than all these different ones fighting for attention.

Archived