Footballing Philosophy

Piethagoram

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,773
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Firstly where credit is due, the set up away from home has all in all been a success.

However the set up at home is poles apart from Ricardo's. Jamie made great play that he has seen Notts prior to his appointment and also commented in his first days of the job, that the most difficult thing is scoring goals and from what he had seen, that didn't needed fixing.

I still cannot reconcile his thought process which allows the return of the immobile Smith at the expense of the central midfield berth for Noble?

The whole balance of the side founders on this when we play at home. There is no momentum in taking the game to the opposition.

Frustrating thoughts for a Monday

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

Surely seeing Smith in "action" once should be enough to conclude that he is finished at this level of football! It's like playing with ten men.

When you look at Swansea, they have risen through the leagues despite a high turnover of managers because they have had a set footballing philosophy and chosen managers to fit it. We, on the other hand, seem to have completely gone back to the drawing board once again. Unless what JF sold the board is quite different to what we're seeing on the pitch?

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,773
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

@DangerousSausage Absolutely correct as regards the return to the old failed ways of Derry, Hart, Thompson, and on and on.

It makes one wonder what "vision" was presented to the Board at this interview. Perhaps questions should have been asked of his playing style, as the squad as is, was set up for a more offensive play.

All I can suggest is there needs to be some serious head bashing for a more creative midfield. We all want Jamie to succeed, but he seriously needs a change in his thought process

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,995
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I believe he wanted us to have a little grit in midfield, as someone who can pass the ball around and calm down play - Alan Smith doesn't do a bad job when he keeps things simple and doesn't push himself. The problem for me is when he tries to take a lot on, we see him run with the ball (he'll lose it) or when it comes to passing, often the opposition player is quicker and can get a foot in. The frustrating thing for me is watching him chase shadows, by this I mean the times where he will just basically run into the other players (including our own) and just takes up space and energy.

He gives a 100% there's no denying that, it's all about ability now.

But yeah, I think if we had a little more game play about ourselves - Alan may have been able to stamp his mark on the game which is where I believe Jamie Fullarton saw him in terms of tactics. Sadly, when we go missing there's not much that can be done.

How many times against Orient did we see Curtis Thompson having to pick up the ball or clean up after him? Yet to be fair, I wouldn't single him out as the worst player on the pitch. That award goes to the daft player who jumps when the ball is head height, runs to complain to the referee, yet idly walks when a chance presents itself. Perhaps I have my head in the clouds like him though? :unsure::rolleyes:

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

I really hope Stanley's in for Tuesday 

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

Smith is Ok, if you need him to play for 45 minutes in a bruising battle with a physically strong opposition, but he is now all at sea when up against a mobile midfield, or one that does not give him any space. 

I like Aborah as a player, but for him to work in this type of side, we need a Bishop type of player as well, which we don't have. If I was a manager (which I'm not), arriving at a new club and seeing him as my most skilful player and a fans favourite, I would build a team around him and go and get a midfielder on loan to allow him to operate in an "effective" position, I would not ostracise him in favour of less skilful battlers.

Looking at a lot of teams we have played this season, there appears to be more of an emphasis on passing and less on the long ball game, which makes it daft that we are heading that way again!

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

Also bring in a more mobile striker and rest McLeod, who is just a passenger at the moment!

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

JF is learning on the job which is not ideal for him or the fans. He seems to have a system and sticks to it, but it is highly ineffective at home because the emphasis is on Notts to attack. Away sides realize very quickly that they can seize the initiative and dictate the play. On top of that JF is very slow to make changes, he should have a plan B but he doesn't seem to have one. JF has enough players to put together a more balanced system, one that allows players to express themselves a lot more. We won't score too many goals when the players are shackled by a poor system at Meadow Lane. JF needs to take a step back, get some advice from someone like Dougie Freedman or someone else he trusts and go from there. There is potential in JF, people might not agree, but I think there is. He just needs to be more open to other ideas. 

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,995
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Many fans felt Moniz was 'stubborn' but Fullarton gives the word a new meaning. I mean, why wait so long to make changes? Derry often used the cliche that a goal could change games but we need something to actually create that!!

Banton did alright, he seems nothing better than what we have already (in my opinion).

Passing the ball to him just remembered me of when we relied upon JCR to do the business.

Archived