Colin Slater on Notts radio

Tarkers

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  530
  • Days Won:  24

A telling comment from Uncle Colin on Notts Radio......."I bowled JF quite a few soft deliveries in my interviews.......assuming he would hit them, so as to appeal to the general public.....no, nothing......then I started to wonder about his team talks"......mmmmmmmm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03lc3w3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  173
  • Days Won:  2

I know the fans will talk about style etc and that takes time and possibly some more of your own players, however, in my opinion the media is one area where he will need to work on if he wants to get fans onside at a new club...if there is one

Yes, he's new to first team management , but you still need to take those opportunities to engage the fans

Let's be honest , some werent having him regardless but I'm sure if he watches them all back, he'll know he can use those opportunities a bit better in the future

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,773
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

@NewNottsFan His predecessor was always open, perhaps too open. Ricardo wasnt afraid to admit his own shortcomings and that of the team if the performances were not good enough. Jamie's post match analysis were never in line with what the supporters had just witnessed. This was a major failing as Supporters are not stupid and felt alienated by a perceived arrogant stance. He should have been more upfront about Stanley at the very beginning.  Continual use of buzz words like "effective" made him look like a management consultant, adrift from  the realities of the coal face. He should have walked after Saturday on his own and supporters would have been more forgiving. The fact that he waited for the inevitable sack is likely to put off potential new employers for even considering him. I am though truly sorry it ended as it did. The decision to change manager was still overdue even in a such small space in time.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  173
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Piethagoram said:

@NewNottsFan His predecessor was always open, perhaps too open. Ricardo wasnt afraid to admit his own shortcomings and that of the team if the performances were not good enough. Jamie's post match analysis were never in line with what the supporters had just witnessed. This was a major failing as Supporters are not stupid and felt alienated by a perceived arrogant stance. He should have been more upfront about Stanley at the very beginning.  Continual use of buzz words like "effective" made him look like a management consultant, adrift from  the realities of the coal face. He should have walked after Saturday on his own and supporters would have been more forgiving. The fact that he waited for the inevitable sack is likely to put off potential new employers for even considering him. I am though truly sorry it ended as it did. The decision to change manager was still overdue even in a such small space in time.

It was his first job @Piethagoram , I'm sure he felt that he needed to try and stay positive, particularly in the really early days after match 2 against Wimbledon . You saw him being more accepting and honest towards matches against Yeovil for example. The fans would never be forgiving of JF even if he walked ( in my opinion)

Its a results business at the end of the day and recent results havent been there. What I think Mark Cooper will now get is the patience that JF didnt , and I expect this will be regardless of results and , dare I say, performances. He himself said yesterday that 'it will take time'

Some fans are already saying they wont judge at all until next season, a luxury that JF didnt get for more than 2 weeks.

At the end of the day , regardless of opinions , JF is a young british manager who had a huge amount on his plate in his first job, more than some managers will ever experience in a career. I hope he can bounce back and prove to himself more than anyone else that he can operate in that role.

Notts have a new man at the helm who will get support and hopefully success over the short and medium term.

Team selection will be interesting on Friday night ..thats for sure !!!! :thumbsup:

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

Very interesting comment.

In most cases a newly appointed manager will be taking over a team that has struggled or underachieved and where morale and confidence is low. One of the key jobs for a new manager is therefore to build a feel-good factor around the place and restore confidence. Part of this is actively appealing to the fans and trying to get them feeling positive and excited again to try and lift the burden off the players a little. This should be clear to any new manager, whether he is new or young shouldn't matter.

Martin Allen clearly attached a lot of importance to this, and Mark Cooper is already following suit. It was particularly important in Jamie Fullarton's case as there was such a lot of scepticism surrounding his appointment. Instead, he treated the media as an inconvenience and fobbed the fans off with management-speak, which might have got Colin off his back quickly following a game, but didn't do anything to ease the pressure.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

Also a lot of people didn't want the previous manager sacked as they liked his style of football. JF made many mistakes, as outlined above, but he was dealt an awful hand by the club IMO.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,995
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

He also said 'I felt it would look better on Jamie's CV if he had resigned and not been sacked'.

Adding 'I asked him why he didn't resign and he said I am not a quitter'. (something along these lines anywho, I've slept since) :lol:

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

He was the wrong man at the wrong time. When the fans and club needed a British manager with experience of managing in the lower leagues, we got an under 21's coach. JF never had a chance and in alienating the clubs player of the season (so far) in his first week, he was always going to have an uphill struggle. He had to hit the ground running and be truthful and honest about what had happened on the pitch, but he tried to mask the problems by concentrating on 10 and 20 minutes spells where we weren't so bad.

Cooper on the other hand, came across confidently in his interview and the one thing I liked was when he said we will go to Portsmouth and attack, which was surely a bit of a dig at what had gone before.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,773
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

On 3/22/2016 at 10:35, NewNottsFan said:

It was his first job @Piethagoram , I'm sure he felt that he needed to try and stay positive, particularly in the really early days after match 2 against Wimbledon . You saw him being more accepting and honest towards matches against Yeovil for example. The fans would never be forgiving of JF even if he walked ( in my opinion)

Its a results business at the end of the day and recent results havent been there. What I think Mark Cooper will now get is the patience that JF didnt , and I expect this will be regardless of results and , dare I say, performances. He himself said yesterday that 'it will take time'

Some fans are already saying they wont judge at all until next season, a luxury that JF didnt get for more than 2 weeks.

At the end of the day , regardless of opinions , JF is a young british manager who had a huge amount on his plate in his first job, more than some managers will ever experience in a career. I hope he can bounce back and prove to himself more than anyone else that he can operate in that role.

Notts have a new man at the helm who will get support and hopefully success over the short and medium term.

Team selection will be interesting on Friday night ..thats for sure !!!! :thumbsup:

Always respectful of your opinions... Perhaps, if one could turn the clock back, Ricardo's team just needed tweaking from a defensive point of view. There wasn't anything seriously wrong with the midfield and attack. Despite it being his first proper managerial posting, he didnt need to then go to ditch Ricardo's legacy in total and instigate a hoof ball mentality.. As a player, he had experience of playing in France at the top level, so why oh why, does he then instigate a long hoof ball philosophy. I certainly would have been more than happy to have Jamie continuing Ricardo's legacy but my support ended, really on Jamie's brand of football. Maybe Jamie can rebuild in the lower leagues of Scotland or England. I am sorry it didn't work out for him here

Archived