Match Discussion Game 40: The Cobblers (A)

ivansneck

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

10 minutes ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Disagree. Don't think Hewitt has learnt a thing. He doesn't complete the very basics of defending. These methods of defending, such as tracking your man or getting goal-side, are taught to 5 year olds. Hewitt has been using his pace to get him out of these situations, and it's just not good enough. 

Some people just can't defend, it's a mentality thing, how many times will Hewitt have to be told how to defend before he can complete it? 

Could the same be applied to a more senior 'Blair Adams'?

He's repeatedly beaten by his man whilst wearing a Notts shirt, I've seen highlights from the Stags and he seemed a different player. The point I have been trying to make, support and players around you massively help. He's young and fairly inexperienced, for the first part of the season when he featured - he nailed his shirt. A more consistent based defence will make a massive difference.

For me, it's not about his mentality but the pressure on his shoulders.

It's the same pressure which makes Atkinson look like a sitting duck at times or a headless chicken when he's on the ball (I admit <-- that is fairly harsh but it's as I see it).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,766
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

@notts-joe I despair. I agree with @Super_Danny_Allsopp Hewitt isn't learning. I use to criticise Dumbuya for his defending, especially that non challenge at Gillingham that led to their equaliser last season. Hewitt takes it on to another level.

Audel's recent performances puts Blair into the shadows. Blair can go to Mansfield at the season's end

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,507
  • Days Won:  9

Both right backs require work on their game, neither is perfect far from it.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

I've said it before on here that I don't rate Hewitt or Atkinson, because as defenders they are both clueless. Hewitt may be OK in a wingback role ( wasn't he played as one at Colchester whose fans raved over him?), but not in a flat back four.

Didn't Cooperman say that the basics of defending are head it and kick it? I've seen little of that from both of them.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  173
  • Days Won:  2

17 hours ago, Fozzy said:

I've said it before on here that I don't rate Hewitt or Atkinson, because as defenders they are both clueless. Hewitt may be OK in a wingback role ( wasn't he played as one at Colchester whose fans raved over him?), but not in a flat back four.

Didn't Cooperman say that the basics of defending are head it and kick it? I've seen little of that from both of them.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Fozzy , I think MC's post match 'head the ball' comments were aimed mainly at Hewitt so he may have blotted his copybook with the manager early doors.

I think its a weak spot for Notts and I'm not convinced either of the current contenders are good enough just now to really make the position theirs and give the fans some confidence in them

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  124
  • Days Won:  3

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 16:10, Riverleeno said:

Watching the Northampton penalty it looks like Northampton players ran into the penalty area before the ball was kicked, for me it should have been disallowed.

If he cannot get the basics right, should he be standing at this level.  

When you consider that Stead had to wait for some time whilst the referee warned Notts players not to encroach, but he never said anything before Northampton took theirs, and as you say there were at least 4 in the area, there is no excuse for getting the penalty [which should never have been given] retaken. 

It's just a poor referee giving way to the home crowd.  

Archived