Working with promising youngsters

Chris

There was a time when Notts looked to be forging connections with teams that wanted to get their own youngsters some football league experience, I recall when we signed Connor Clifford and although he didn't do a great deal (I don't believe he was pushed as much as he could have been).

I just finished reading a post by @Piethagoram and it got me thinking.

Notts seems to do well with upcoming youngsters who have the right attitude when it comes getting experience.

Callum McGregor, Jack Grealish and now Aaron Collins.

I can only think getting youngsters who have a considerable amount of potential but are getting lost with their respective clubs, could be a major benefit for us - I felt the same when we seemed to be working with out neighbours but some of those players didn't seem to have the right attitude. Yet surely, this would be a good thing for own players that coming through the academy?

I'm not suggesting we should forget about our own but the odd youngster in on loan, mixed with our own and experienced players could be a way forward for Notts.

I really don't get why we don't try to forge a relationship with Leicester City and other clubs who have promising talent. Walsall, Rotherham, Hartlepool and even Swindon have done well within this area when it comes to 'good' young loans.

@notts-joe The loan system has been altered this system, EFL clubs can only loan players to the leagues below. There are no short 1 or 3 month loan deals allowed. So what does this mean, youngsters at the academies , U21, U23 teams of the top clubs are effectively trapped until the January transfer window reopens. How is that good for them getting real match day competitive action?

As regards Notts, the crucial point is our withdrawing from the Final Third development League...how on earth are our youngsters going to get match action to develop? The "three year gap" to establishing themselves as a full first teamer here, never seems available. If they are not in the team by 18, they seem to be released... managers tend to go with "old heads". However, pleased that JS has given Richards his chance. I am a big Wildin fan, so pray he gets a real chance too

1 hour ago, Piethagoram said:

@notts-joe The loan system has been altered this system, EFL clubs can only loan players to the leagues below. There are no short 1 or 3 month loan deals allowed. So what does this mean, youngsters at the academies , U21, U23 teams of the top clubs are effectively trapped until the January transfer window reopens. How is that good for them getting real match day competitive action?

its a good thing there are no short term loans, notts struggled the year we got relegated because the club only took on month loans or slightly longer.

most of which did not play.

notts should look at getting good youngsters in from the big boys but they should have some experience really, i do not see us pushing our own talent. its something the club just does not seem to do.

@liampie It's identifying them is the real problem. You have got to be certain of their quality otherwise we end up with the likes of Santos for half a season...though he was given a new Derby contract?

The problem now is we are still top heavy in the squad with Hewitt, Burke, Snijders, Atkinson on the effective non playing list. As budgets get more important, there is even less money down the pyramid to take these players on loan

On 9/26/2016 at 16:22, Piethagoram said:

@liampie It's identifying them is the real problem. You have got to be certain of their quality otherwise we end up with the likes of Santos for half a season...though he was given a new Derby contract?

The problem now is we are still top heavy in the squad with Hewitt, Burke, Snijders, Atkinson on the effective non playing list. As budgets get more important, there is even less money down the pyramid to take these players on loan

santos was not that bad, i wonder if he could have played more a role if he was able to establish himself. dont forget that season was a woeful one for signing players that we barely gave a chance.

Archived