Checkatrade Trophy

DangerousSausage

Yesterday was a dark day for us all. The dream is over. We will not lift the Checkatrade Trophy. I had to wash my hair last night, but am curious nonetheless - how did the players we called into the team do?

Elsewhere, all of 302 spectators saw Middlesbrough play Shrewsbury, two thirds of matches failed to attract 1000, Chelsea U23 won a 34-attempt penalty shootout, one of the 368-strong crowd at Newport had to step in and act as fourth official (Neil Warnock was also there) and Bristol Rovers subbed their keeper after two minutes to get round selection rules. Time to eject the U23 teams and turn it into a straight knockout competition or, preferably, knock it on the head altogether.

For the first time in history, I am delighted that Notts lost.  I bet Checkatrade are really regretting putting their name to this disastrous competition, as all the publicity has been negative.  The 'B' team (which started as U23, now listed everywhere as U21) initiative has been a disaster.  Fans from the top two divisions aren't interested in it, fans from the bottom two divisions despise it.  My only hope now is that the final is contested between two U21 teams in front of a tiny crowd.  That should hand the EFL Checkabetrayed Trophy the death sentence it so richly deserves.

Good riddance to a rotten competition that nobody has ever really taken seriously in the past and has now plunged the depths of acceptance. This is surely the final season of the trophy as lower league teams simply cannot afford the cost of taking part anymore, especially with matchday squad sizes that are now involved.

Stick to the league and the two major cups, there is no need for any more.

Archived