Guy Branston on his time at Notts County

Joe Jones

Guy Branston has discussed his time at Notts in an interview with the Derbyshire Times.

Now the head of recruitment and development at Chesterfield, he described his time at Meadow Lane as "a learning curve".

He came under a fair bit of criticism during his time at Meadow Lane, but he said he wasn’t the man responsible for actually signing players, and even had some kind words of support for the club...

“I didn’t bring players in, I provided information for managers to bring players in,” he said.

“Fans perceive people as different from what happens behind the scenes.

“I provided information for managers and the football club brings in the players.

“It’s a fantastic football club, I’m so happy with the situation they are in at the moment.”

Thoughts on him and what he's had to say?

@TheFostarr94 I was surprised Stead signed so quickly, presumably the money we offered helped with the decision. The rumour mill last summer was Stead was Scotland bound? Was this to reduce the wage bill? We will never know. Notts presumably cannot match what the Americans may offer and shouldnt stand in his way, if he wished to try his luck over the pond.

I'd agree with that.

This is another conversation I have had with various people, cough* cough* @TheFostarr94. If he decides to leave I would wish Jon all the very best and I would certainly have some good memories of his time here. Yet I would hope he would weigh up the decision, as for me I don't think it would be the best idea - especially to up sticks with his family. At his age, I could understand the thought process but I think it would be limited (more so than Luke Rodgers).

If he leaves us, he's best finding a club where he can see out his career in a meaningful way but that's just my opinion.

Archived