Could Notts County actually mount a late playoff tillt?

Joe Jones

Four wins on the trot for Notts County, a 13-point gap between themselves and 23rd-placed Newport County (who are themselves doing well in all fairness, having won their last two), 10 points behind the top seven with 15 points yet to play for...

I previously thought it would be too far-fetched to even think of a playoff tilt as much as a fortnight ago, but given how well Notts are playing, a little inkling in the back of my head is saying "well, stranger things have happened in football" (Leicester winning the title much)...

Granted, the following five fixtures are quite tricky. Crewe are below us in the table but it's an away game, then just three days later, a home game with Portsmouth, who are hoping to seal automatic promotion, then Luton (both away and tricky as they're harbouring outside hopes of third place), then a home game with Blackpool, who themselves are hoping to make the playoffs, and finally a resurgent Newport who may or may not be banking on a win for FL survival.

So not the best round of fixtures - the only team we would be eliminating in terms of hopeful playoff contenders is Blackpool, and they're all quite difficult, so I'm not going to get my hopes up too much - I'd be happy with a top-half finish, which is incredible considering the previous objective, from about 2-3 months ago, was "battle bravely against what appears to be certain relegation".

But what is football without a bit of hope and drama? I'm certainly going to be enjoying the next few weeks - it's nice to have a little positive anxiety/drama as a Notts fan for once!

It would be very surreal.

I mean we've gone from the almost relegated to the side that is winning back to back. However, it's unlikely we will maintain the form enough to pinch a play-off spot - it would piss Mansfield fans off (which I'd love to see). I just don't feel its very likely at all.

One defeat or draw would hinder the ambitious target, whilst it's pressure we simply don't require at this stage.

It would be fantastic if we could, especially if it meant gaining promotion to League One after all this turmoil. Yet I still want to see stability and a steady progression, if we challenge next season then great but this campaign I just hope we finish as high as possible.

It bodes well for next season, no matter where we finish.  But to answer your question, I have a sneaky feeling that we'Lloyd perhaps miss out on the last day of the season.  

But exciting times are ahead!!

That would be amazing , but a massive ask in my opinion , had the huge turn around started a month earlier you never know , i would have put a few quid on a late surge then , but it does give enormous encouragement for next season and a good go at it , the fact this has even got a thread about it shows how far the club has come , well done to all concerned , coyp 

Archived