Could Shaun Derry have succeeded at Notts County with more resources?

Joe Jones

Shaun Derry is returning to Notts County this weekend with his Cambridge United side, and at PON we wanted your opinion on the following:

Could Derry have been more of a success if he had the resources and support that Kevin Nolan has at present with Alan Hardy at the helm of the club?

Let's get your thoughts.

Anybody in any job needs the appropriate tools to work with so as to have a good chance of success , but even then and especially in football there is still no guarantee of it , I'm not at all confident that things would have been any different to how they did work out , one thing I would say is he would have had a better chance under AH than under RT .

3 hours ago, Who r ya?? You Pies!! said:

Anybody in any job needs the appropriate tools to work with so as to have a good chance of success , but even then and especially in football there is still no guarantee of it , I'm not at all confident that things would have been any different to how they did work out , one thing I would say is he would have had a better chance under AH than under RT .

Spot on

6 hours ago, Red Poppy said:

He had the resources but he wasted them on poor choices, as it seemed his attitude was `let's try HIM - or HIM - orrr - what about HIM...`

We had to rely on loans heavily, I'm not sure I personally buy into the 'we gave Shaun Derry resources' - as I know personally that he wasn't keen on using the loan market. The issue with that was the clubs decided the length of the loans (to my knowledge) and that came back to haunt him, as by the stage QPR or whoever said we could extend we didn't have the funds.

There's a different between the class of loans we had in the first part, to the ones we got when we ultimately struggled.

It was a very difficult period, even staff had issues at this point I'm told.

Archived