The Dome

Fan of Big Tone

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Is anyone watching The Dome on Channel 5, it's about a American town that gets covered in an impenetrable dome and the occupants are trapped inside.

It's an adaptation from a Steven King novel, I wasn't sure when it started but I'm quite enjoying it now.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

No but you've caught my attention, I will look this up.

I'm a big fan of Steven King (as a person) but as a book writer, I think he's pretty big headed but once upon a time all the best stories was written by him. I love his spooky tales!!

• Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

no... more information for those of us using a mobile?

It's okay, I'm watching the first season on CatchUp.

It reminds me of Jericho which I really enjoyed, in fact I watched it before going on holiday back-to-back, not last year but the one before that. This isn't quite up to that standard in my opinion, it's a little edgy in the sense that they've got too much going on for me and I find it a little distracting. As a drama, it's quite good but nothing out of this world.

Tony - I just watched the episode where they nuke/bomb the dome. Obviously it failed, though I found it very hard to believe people would respond like they made it seem.

Super will comment below saying "It's only tv" but realistic is a vital aspect in my opinion to entertainment.. LOL

Supporter+

I've thought it gets better the longer it goes on, I wasn't sure at first in fact we nearly ditched it after two episodes but stayed with it and now we really look forward to the next episode.

In some ways it is very realistic I think, I can imagine people reacting the way they are in the programme, the survival of the fittest and every man for himself sort of attitude.

I disagree with you Tony, It's very sensationalised and american. I couldn't see half the stuff happening in the real world, which would be hard for anyone who hasn't seen it because it's about being trapped inside a dome.

I'd say very few things are handled realistically.

Before you read the spoiler (it will spoil it for you) - secondly I trying to debate, I certainly am not attacking Tony's opinion.

I'm actually enjoying it and thank him for bringing it to my attention. Though, I find certain aspects could have been handled better - The show summed up to me is basically a laggy band being repeatedly pulled but it doesn't quite snap. There's elements which are very enjoyable, though someone who's into this genre and having read the book, I feel disappointed. It's also quite below the bar - I mentioned it's like Jericho, for me that was very well put together (apart from the ending) but it was gripping and very realistic. Now some things you ignore! Such as how the hell a done magically finds it way into position without it being noticed sooner, yes it's invisible but are you telling me nothing was in the air until after? and the only signs where slight ground movement of a light earthquake? Yet it seems to have been dropped and goes beneath ground very far?

Read my spoiler - If I rambled above, don't! I ramble more if you do... ;)

Episode 2 Theirs a fire set up by a Vicar who's into drug taking/dealing, he's trying to cover up the evidence which is hidden inside a police chiefs house. He decides the best way to dispose of the evidence is to light it up, then throw it into a bin near curtains? Flames magically spark across the room and land on the top right corner of the exit door, so with the fire quickly spreading up the curtains/window... He's gets trapped, however anyone would still try the door since the flames where at the top and the police officer (female) who saved him went through what appeared to be far worse flames.

A police officer loses his marbles and accidentally kills his colleague, who should be trained to handle situations. Okay fair enough he loses the plot, though he gets arrested - attacks the female officer (now chief), locks her up.. Throws the keys to the wall and goes for a run in the woods. Where he's hunted down and ends up shooting someone else.

The following episode the citizens come down with something, it sends panic to the hospital. A diabetic psychiatrist decides to take over, magically knowing how to handle the situation and even bosses more superior trained people about. Yet once she's took control, she's got no idea what's going on or what to do.. Yet still decides to give everyone antibiotics.

They hideout after learning about a nuke/bomb being directed at a point of the dome, they hide out the underground *thing I can't recall*. All rather calm, they play a silly song after. Two youngsters openly sit watching the nuke strike the dome (would never happen), especially considering they only just met. You'd have thought the girl would want to be with her mums.

Following episode the diabetic psychiatrist/miracle doctor, suddenly turns after not having her insulin (yet she could have had a supply after her wife/girl friend tried to take the hospitals supply) *I must say by this point she's a character which really annoys me* Anyways, she starts feeling 'hot' in a car, decides to get out. Just for good measure she decides to walk into the middle of the street, just as an oncoming truck is heading towards her. The truck narrowly misses her but in the process it manages to go the distance to hit and knock the main part of the towns water supply (not actually knock it down) just the middle part which handles the water. Her daughter then decides to go rob other diabetics?!?! How selfish - What happened to the hospitals supply? You'd have thought a simple... "Oh my mum needs insulin, she's the mad - annoying women who saved everyone's lives the other day.. You know the psychiatrist/come miracle doctor?".

Due to the crash - The towns supply of water is lost. Sending the community into panic! Jesus... A nukes going to kill them (possibly or so they think) but yet a simple loss of water sends everyone into looting killers and anti-social morons. This is despite the only towns councilor striking a deal with a farmer to use his lake in exchange for propane (which he's been building up in order to make money from drugs with his vicar buddy). Yet this isn't enough - everyone goes up arms because they're out of water..

Oh and this is the point where I mention the councilors son (who's got many lose screws) - magically becomes an officer of the law, despite keeping his former girl friend in his father air-raid shelter. Which where I imagine would have been the most logical place for the councilor to go himself, since all he cares about his himself. He's also a killer (the councilor) - The girl's released upon the councilor learning about the nuke I mentioned earlier, she decides to go running home? not to the police?!?! but things settle, she goes to her mum? who's an owner of a grease bar (used to be Sabrina's aunt)... Which at this moment two water feared freaks decided to raid the business of her food/meat, in the process they killer by a baseball bat - which the mother uses first very poorly.

The last episode I watched... The councilor killed the mum of this hidden character who turns out to be the worlds most scariest female gangster/mobster. Nothing compared to Stephanie St. Clair (aka Queenie <-- Brilliant movie on Netflix about her) or Griselda Blanco (former scary lady, who was very, very wanted and was under house arrest! despite being wanted but far, far powerful).

OOooo.. I didn't even mention the guy who opened the show by burying some guys body and he was whilst in the "help" process knocking off the dead guys wife. He's now on the run because the Councilor framed him and the female cop can't make 2+2 add up.

Supporter+

Have you read the book then Joe? If so I'm not surprised you are disappointed with the tv series, the book is always better than TV or film in my opinion because you always compare the story and characters to the images you have in your head.

I think that the scenes of the anarchy that takes place when food and water become scarce is pretty close to what would happen, as I said it would be every man for himself, with evil, greedy people trampling over weaker members of society to make sure they get what they want.

As regards a dome appearing from nowhere with no apparent warning, yes that is unbelievable obviously because we have no experience of something like that but it is a fantasy story that's the whole point, it's like science fiction I don't really expect that part to be believable to be honest,

I'll read the book when the series finishes and see how it compares, I'm sure the producers of the programme have changed parts of the story.

I've not read your spoiler because I'm not sure if you are ahead of what I have seen and I don't want it spoiling.

The thing with books it's all about imagination and how you read them, I find the book to far more enjoyable and believable. I could perhaps blame the director or the acting, which at times is a little too much.

When I watch something - I generally pass some things.

The dome for me isn't a problem - Yet the TV Show hang onto the gory bits and there's parts which leave questions about it. I've actually finished watching this season, so it's likely that I will spoil it.

I don't doubt that order would be broke with the low supply of food or water, though when they believe they're going to die nothing. You'd expect this to send the community into panic, yet everyone's calmer than a cucumber.

The final two episodes I actually got a little gripped - though "Curtains" is very disappointing and they've gone with the old "Oh, we've done so much.. We lose out on audience if we don't do something'. It's a good show - It's just disappointing, It's one of them TV shows I probably would forget about when the new season comes out and never bother with again. Some people are different :)

Archived