Shaun Derry

Fan of Big Tone

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Shaun Derry is now the odds on favourite to come in as player manager with (according to Colin Slater on radio) an old head working alongside him as Director of Football.

I'm not sure about this appointment (if it happens) Shaun Derry is a very good player IMO but he has no experience as a manager, having said that everyone has to start somewhere don't they. Now if the "old head" were to be Neil Warnock, then I would be excited.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

Please God - no!

This talk of Derry is bewildering, utterly ridiculous candidate for manager. It has to be a joke, surely?

Supporter+

Apparently some bookies have stopped taking bets on Derry. :huh2:

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I know some people who's opinion I respect very much so, believe that Shaun Derry could still boss and play League One football. I do not - There's a problem with a player manager, if they enjoy success often it fails when they retire from playing. I don't believe Shaun Derry is the type to be able to step straight into management and I really think there's an issue when the manager plays along side an under-performing team.

We need a strong minded manager, someone who can take the existing squad - Breath fresh, creative ideas into their heads, choose tactics wisely and know how to punish sides.

The squad we have can do this, yet only with an experienced manager. A trainee is an experiment and one destined to fail in our current situation! :(

Supporter+

In his interview on the radio Mr. Rodwell would neither confirm nor deny that Derry would be the next manager but he did confirm that Neil Warnock would NOT be returning in any capacity,

He also said that further interviews would be taking place this week so it appears that Derry is not a done deal yet.

Everyone who I've spoken to or visa versa seem convinced. I am not, I have the feeling Notts haven't even reached a point where they're happy. I'm hopeful that they can convince and do whatever is in the boards power to convince Danny Wilson or someone with league experience. This is a decision which must be done rightly, they should be concerned that an error will only result in securing relegation or a hard to escape from situation.

Supporter+

Greg Abbot now being touted as linking with Derry to form a management team but opinion seems to differ as to who would be manager and who would be assistant.

I didn't know who he was but he is the recently sacked Carlisle manager. Perhaps he will bring Eddie back home if he gets the job. :thumbsup:

Another weird name to throw into the ring. I just hope that the Club are releasing the names of these ludicrous candidates so that we can all say, "well done, thank goodness for that" when they finally appoint Danny Wilson.

Kerr, Derry, Abbott, Barraclough, Stubbs - absolutely hopeless candidates, suicidal strategy if any of them are appointed as manager.

I could easily see Stubbs, Phelan or possibly even Derry as a coach for Wilson - but on their own they would be disappointing choices and doomed to fail IMO.

Greg Abbot? Really?

Right I'm going to find some rope now...................

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

Who will be next to be linked  with the managers job-Uncle Tom Cobley.?It seems that whoever gets the job will not meet with universal approval from Notts fans.Fair enough- this is a massive appointment and needs very careful consideration.One thing is certain,it doesn't matter who eventually gets the job the problems will still be the same and reputations count for nothing.Good luck Mr.Trew,Choose wisely.

An announcement is apparently expected in the next 48 hours.It looks like the fireworks could be around for a while longer.

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

We're doomed I tell ya, Doomed!

Bud Abbott, NOOO, has anybody not rung David Platt?

Supporter+

It's looking more like Derry and Abbott every day that passes the odds shorten and the bookies aren't very often wrong when the odds get that short.

There is also a rumour that Wilson has turned us down but it is only a rumour and probably best ignored till we know for sure.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  314
  • Days Won:  16

Speaking as an outsider, if it is to be Derry & Abbott, it may not be the nightmare partnership most Pies fans fear.

Derry has two assets that should endear him to the fans, passion & desire, whereas Abbott did a very good job at Carlisle, barring the last few months when the wheels fell off.

All i'm saying is if it is to be this duo, get behind them & at least give them a chance.

Supporter+

Speaking as an outsider, if it is to be Derry & Abbott, it may not be the nightmare partnership most Pies fans fear.

Derry has two assets that should endear him to the fans, passion & desire, whereas Abbott did a very good job at Carlisle, barring the last few months when the wheels fell off.

All i'm saying is if it is to be this duo, get behind them & at least give them a chance.

Hi Brad

I think I speak for most Notts fans when I say that we WILL get behind whoever is installed as manager, we desperately want the manager to succeed and Notts to climb out of the relegation zone.

I will give him at least two games. :lol:

Me too, no problem getting behind them. They would get my 100% backing.

The pair together appears to be a better option than either of them on their own tbh. Wouldn't be my personal choice - I can see potential issues re: authority/decision making - if the ex player is senior to his fomer coach, who happens to be the one with the managerial experience!

Hardly a "dream team" and not names to inspire or convince absent fans that they have the "build it and they will come" magic touch.

Hi Brad,

The problem I have with that, having lived up here (just outside Carlisle) for the last 3 and a half years, is that:

The crowds have fallen here by approx. 1500 -2000 during his reign

The standard of football, has been poor.

His transfer decision making hasn't been great.

There have been rumours (unsubstantiated at this point) of some bullying within the club (not sure if this was Abbot)

The club has not progressed in his 5 year tenure.

Of course we will get behind them, we have no real choice, unless we stay away, which in my opinion is futile, although that is a matter of personal prerogative.

As has been mentioned, the issue is, what if we haven't won the lottery, but rather bought ourselves a void scratch card...

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  89

It can go either way.

Either it will be a fantastic appointment, they will lead us to safety in League One and then push on and challenge for promotion in the years to come.

OR

We could get relegated and he/they will be sacked by the end of the season.

I'm not inspired by anyone that has been linked with us to be honest. All managers without a job aren't going to be fantastic, represented by the fact that they aren't working and could be considering working for a bottom of the table League One side. Not exactly an attractive proposition are we?

I don't think Derry/Abbott combination would be my choice, but I don't know the ins-and-out of the situation, that only those making the decision will know.

The most uncomfortable thing is that Jim Rodwell is making the decision of who we employ. He has got it so wrong so many times already. I can't believe he leaves so many sacked managers in his wake, but no-one has bothered to question his role in hiring them. He is not a like-able character by all accounts, I am confused why the Trews continue to trust someone that A: Isn't liked and B: Is useless at his job. 

He's our man! I will support him like anyone else.

It can go four ways Ben.

1) He could do fantastic (as you say)
2) He could get the results required to avoid relegation
3) He might not - resulting in relegation and his dismissal
4) He might not - resulting in relegation and him keeping his job

I'd rather not think about this, I need to remain as upbeat as possible. I wish him well!

Supporter+

Good luck to the new managerial pair Derry and Abbott I will be 100% them.

Has Abbott been appointed?

I've only heard about Derry - who, if he is on his own, would not be my choice at the moment. I'll willingly back him but I remain distinctly apprehensive and concerned. Doesn't stop me supporting him & hoping for the best but....... Let's see where we are at the beginning of January and take it from there, eh?

Hmmmm, cautious optimism required then!

Good luck to them then, they'll need it.

At the beginning of this season most fans on this site were predicting a top 10 finish, at the very least, for Notts.Somehow the wheelbarrow has not only lost its wheel but become completely bogged down.If the new management team can instil some confidence in the players,restore some shape and direction to the performances and above all give you Notts fans something to cheer about then the season is far from over.A good cup run would help starting on Saturday.Winning,like losing,. can become a habit.Good luck to Shaun,you need it.

Obviously, I echo all of the support for the new team. I desperately want them to succeed, we need them to succeed.

I just cannot help feeling that it will not turn out for the best. Oh god I hope I am wrong and will never be happier to eat humble pie.

Onwards and upwards eh, once more into the breach dear chaps.

COYP

Archived