The Club Captain...

PTID1862

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Ok, so IMO the club captain needs to be all of these things, not just one or two:

The managers ambassador and voice on the pitch.

A model professional who others can look up to and aspire to be like.

Have an excellent disciplinary record.

Ability to lead, be that by example or by voice.

Somebody who the fans can feel a connection with.

Having said that, I think we change the captaincy as our current captain does not have anywhere near all of these.

I would replace him with Alan Sheehan, who has a far better disciplinary record. Is our longest serving first team member, is able to lead by example, certainly somebody that the others could look up to, the only thing I haven't noticed in him is how vocal he is.

But Dean Leacock is currently letting down the team, the fans and himself. I say remove the captaincy and pass it to somebody more deserving of wearing it.

Thoughts?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  467
  • Days Won:  5

I agree it's time to change the Captain because Leacock doesn't lead the team the way Bishop did. However I don't think Sheehan is the right man for the job. He wanted out of the club at the end of last season and would have gone if the right offer came along! I think we need to bring someone in with that role in mind!!

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

I agree it's time to change the Captain because Leacock doesn't lead the team the way Bishop did. However I don't think Sheehan is the right man for the job. He wanted out of the club at the end of last season and would have gone if the right offer came along! I think we need to bring someone in with that role in mind!!

I most certainly wasn't aware of that, how did I manage to miss it.  If true then yes some of the driftwood can be cut loose and we should recruit somebody suitable to lead this wonderful club of ours.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

We are now beginning to realise just how much we are missing Neil Bishop, he got a lot of stick from fans but in my opinion he was a great captain and when we lost you could see how much it hurt in his face as he left the field. He always gave his all.

If only there was some way to get Derry on the field, I'm sure this would make a huge difference.

• Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

I think Derry has enough on his plate managing without having to take responsibility on the pitch to be honest. As a novice in a hugely difficult situation I suspect his efforts are better concentrated on the off field aspects rather than trying to be a hero on the pitch as well.

As for the captain, the loss of Bishop was enormous in many respects, notably the captaincy. Sheehan is quite a good shout IMO. He has been one of the better and most consistent performers and his attitude appears to have been spot on. He looks fitter and sharper this season too.

The only other internal candidate is Liddle but his form has been iffy and I'm not actually certain that he is a good "talker" on the field.

We have a sorry bunch, most of whom would not be missed if we never seethem again plus a few keen but raw youngsters. It is a gloomy prospect & I don't envy the management team the job of motivating and organising this mob. We are getting worse, that is the most disturbing aspect for my money.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,480
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

It's sad that there are no obvious candidates for the captaincy role. Bart maybe? I still chuckle when I see Bish playing for Blackpool as there was a section of our support that thought he wasn't up to League 1 level any longer.

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm not a fan of keepers being captains personally, I've seen enough fail or become big headed from it. It's common that they forget their real duties which is keeping aware of threats and actual keeping, Bart perhaps would handle it better but that said we have other players who might be able to handle the role. I was never happy with Deano being our captain, he swears a lot in games and although this as been toned down. He just never fitted it for me, I would replace him.

Alan Sheehan could do well.

Teams used to have 'role models', 'leaders', 'captains', 'free kick takers', 'battlers', 'defenders', 'goal scorers' and 'providers'.

Archived