Welcome Northants Pie

Chris

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Hello @Northants Pie

Welcome to Pride of Nottingham, thanks for taking the time to join us. I really hope you find our site to be useful and interest, as I look forward to seeing you around the site.

Why not consider telling us a little about yourself?

See you around... YP!

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

Hello one & all Magpie fans, I first became a magpie fan in 1983 when courtesy of my dad he brought me to watch the game against West Brom, (his mate was playing for Notts at the time hence why we went otherwise he would have probably tried to get me to support Forest), we lost the game 3-1 at Meadow Lane (that will come as no surprise!! ha ha) but ever since i have been hooked.

I live in Corby, Northamptonshire hence the Northants Pie name.

Looking forward to chatting / discussing all things Notts with like minded Notts fans.

COYP!!!!

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

Glad you chose Notts and not the unmentionables! Welcome Northants Pie. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

yeah ditto what super said!

im glad to see another new member on site, welcome to pon. thanks for sharing a little about yourself, see you around the site. :)

• Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Hello one & all Magpie fans, I first became a magpie fan in 1983 when courtesy of my dad he brought me to watch the game against West Brom, (his mate was playing for Notts at the time hence why we went otherwise he would have probably tried to get me to support Forest), we lost the game 3-1 at Meadow Lane (that will come as no surprise!! ha ha) but ever since i have been hooked.

I live in Corby, Northamptonshire hence the Northants Pie name.

Looking forward to chatting / discussing all things Notts with like minded Notts fans.

COYP!!!!

Hi @Northants Pie

Welcome to our friendly community, glad to see you on here and posting.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Welcome Northants Pie, Hope you enjoy PoN as much as I do. The crack is good, and the site is well run.

you should have let your father take you to see the flower arrangers, I did, it was hilarious. Watching grown men cry, including me father. Just cos Andy Gray (him of the will you tuck me in fame) scored for wolves at Wembley in t' league cup final.

I swore from that day on that I wouldn't be supporting them. The rest as they say....

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

Wecome from me,Northants Pie.

Welcome Northants Pie, Hope you enjoy PoN as much as I do. The crack is good, and the site is well run.

you should have let your father take you to see the flower arrangers, I did, it was hilarious. Watching grown men cry, including me father. Just cos Andy Gray (him of the will you tuck me in fame) scored for wolves at Wembley in t' league cup final.

I swore from that day on that I wouldn't be supporting them. The rest as they say....

I have been a couple of times with the old man but he has never been that over excitable, probably more to do with working in the game and seeing more games than I could ever dream about, 

The only forest spiel I am enlightened with is about some of their ex players and the plaudits they received (Wally Ardren et al), having said that though he does regale me with some cracking stories about some of our ex players through his own memories and his fathers (he was a Forest fan also) who always said that the best player he ever saw was Hughie Gallagher, apparently he was so exceptionally talented that he could do anything with the ball,  he even ran past three players in one game keeping the ball up in the air with just his head. (For those that don't understand how good that was, that was done in an era when the shoulder barge was more of an illegal high rugby tackle!!)

But the sad truth that played out with Hughie was that he liked his drink just as much as his football, he regularly had to be dragged from the pub within 30 mins of kick off but once his magical feet touched the grass he came alive.

My Grandad told to me Hughie Gallagher was one of the best players he ever saw.Gallagher signed for The Rams in the early 1930's(before my time in case @tonyhateley reads this)and Derby paid off his debts as part of the transfer deal. He scored within 6 minutes of making his Rams debut and once scored 5 goals against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park.Sadly his personal life was less than perfect.

Supporter+

Gallagher signed for The Rams in the early 1930's(before my time in case @tonyhateley reads this)

We've only got your word for that Mr. Ram, of course I read it I read and scrutinise every word you say in case I can find the slightest excuse to take the rise. :devil:

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Now then Tony, would that be the Sherwood Rise?

Supporter+

Now then Tony, would that be the Sherwood Rise?

:rollonfloorlaughing:

get (or take) a rise out of

informal provoke an angry or irritated response from (someone), especially by teasing.

We've only got your word for that Mr. Ram, of course I read it I read and scrutinise every word you say in case I can find the slightest excuse to take the rise. :devil:

You have a lesson to learn here Mr.Hateley.When Granny and myself were offline a week or so ago you  excelled yourself on the prediction league but as soon as we returned you went back to your usual miserable form.I suggest to you that you concentrate your efforts more on predicting rather than trying  to 'take the rise'.Your comments are 'water off a duck's(Rams) back' anyway. :thumbsup:

My Grandad told to me Hughie Gallagher was one of the best players he ever saw.Gallagher signed for The Rams in the early 1930's(before my time in case @tonyhateley reads this)and Derby paid off his debts as part of the transfer deal. He scored within 6 minutes of making his Rams debut and once scored 5 goals against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park.Sadly his personal life was less than perfect.

Rammer ( :lol: sorry just had to type that!! ) click on the link below it's a really interesting look into the life of Hughie Gallacher

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/hughies-son-opens-heart-dads-1677634

For those of you who have neither heard of Hughie Gallacher or know anything about the man the article in the link below is possibly the most comprehensive you will ever read.

Enjoy

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/a-hero-who-died-of-shame-1124187.html?printService=print

Thanks Northants.Very sad

Super Ram i e-mailed those links to my dad and this was his response....

That's excellent.   My dad said that Hughie was the best centre forward he ever saw and undoubtedly one of the best natural players ever. He was at Wembley in 1928 when the Wembley Wizards beat England 5-1.......my dad said Scotland just took the piss when they reached 5 goals.

When Hughie played for Chelsea they played Forest (then in the old Div 2) in the Cup at Stamford Bridge and Forest had played superbly to draw 2-2. with Forest's centre half Tommy Graham playing a blinder against Hughie. The following Tuesday afternoon the game was replayed at the City Ground.  As the teams changed ends before kickoff Hughie said to Tommy Graham   "For God's sake are they playing you again". Dad said the only goal of the game came when Hughie sent all the Forest defence one way whilst he went the other and scored.

There are load of tales in Nottingham about him when he played for Notts in his later years...........I'll tell you about them sometime.

By the way the Wembley Wizards forward line had an average height of 5'7".Just shows if you have infinite skill height doesn't matter. The tallest player was the Chelsea right winger Alec Jackson. Alex James from Arsenal played inside right and I think a lad called McMullan played either inside left or outside left. Alex James was only 5'4" !!

Archived