Crawley attendance

Fan of Big Tone

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

The attendance for the Crawley game was less than 4,000 which is very poor considering our recent success in the league, I know it was a horrible day weather wise but even so….

I thought the cheaper ticket price might tempt more out, are people getting tired of the FA Cup?

• Like 4

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

There's little obligation for fans to attend cup games, especially when we previously pulled out of the qualifying stages previously in order to focus on the league. Crawley were never going to come to Meadow Lane in big numbers. Yet, 4,000 isn't that bad.

I imagine I wasn't the only season ticket holder who didn't attend, and it's not about money but having a day off from football.

Most people would consider the league to be far more important.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,298
  • Days Won:  69

11 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

The attendance for the Crawley game was less than 4,000 which is very poor considering our recent success in the league, I know it was a horrible day weather wise but even so….

I thought the cheaper ticket price might tempt more out, are people getting tired of the FA Cup?

I think it's a combination of reasons why some FA cup attendances are on the low side.Cost ,weather and opposition  being 3 reasons and also the fact some fans see promotion as being much more important.If Notts manage to progress beyond the next round I think you'll see an upturn in attendance and interest.

• Like 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

It's a bit disappointing to be honest, but with a less than exciting draw and our intense home schedule of late many saw it as an opportunity to have a weekend off. 

• Like 2

@DangerousSausage I'm not saying this because I didn't go, but I don't blame people for choosing not to attend the opening round. The football season is a long period of time and, for those with families, the dedication which comes to league games - does bring the temptation to do something different when additional costs come up. I think if we are to be fair, comparing this to the FA Trophy it's not that bad.

Our recent form and injuries may have been a contributing factor, but even with such high attendances in the league we need to remember that our actual fanbase is only so large.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

I think that's fair enough @Chris, especially when you've got to prioritise. On top of that, drawing a team from the same division that'll you'll play in a few weeks anyway is a bit meh in my opinion. At least non-League teams can have a bit of curiosity value.

25 minutes ago, Chris said:

I think if we are to be fair, comparing this to the FA Trophy it's not that bad

Going off on a slight tangent here, but the FA Trophy is a cracking competition for all but the half dozen teams looking to win promotion to the League. It was just never meant for us. It's definitely much better than the stupid Pizza Trophy in which you're forced to play your first team in three pointless group games. 

• Like 3

• Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Those who didn’t attend missed a cracking game but I understand that finances of people with a limited budget and or families probably plays a huge part in any decision to attend. Personally I always find the FA Cup and exciting fixture to attend and at £10 for an old fogey it was great value.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  4
  • Days Won:  0

Personally didn’t attend as it was the 5th home game that month. A lot of money spent and nice to have an evening in with the wife (so she said)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

£10 isn't a bad price for a game, so I doubt anyone avoided it due to the cost but more as they could spend the day doing something a bit more viable.

@Callumpie Haha!! 😂

You know you enjoyed not seeing 5 goals being scored, in the blistering cold and non-stop rain.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

i get the comments about disappointment but i do think it sounds about right.

crawley is not a glamourous tie and only local teams could probably draw more. i think we have to be realistic, i bet it was mostly season ticket holders who attended and fans who regularly watch no matter. those casuals who float around because of where we have been and where we might be heading probably decided to sit it out for whatever reason.  i think betweem 4-5k is about right for actual fan base.

dont forget many fans are bringing mates to league games too, there is little reason for them to come to a starting cup game.

• Like 2

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  17

I think the weather probably put a lot of people off. Mum and I were there. Was a good game. COYP

• Like 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  0

I find it disappointing. The club must have anticipated that attracting more than 4k to the opening round tie, especially against Crawley Town, would be a challenge. Some fans were pessimistic about our chances of winning. The low turnout can be attributed to several factors, but most importantly, it probably represents 70-80% of our current real fan base. After a promotion, there’s usually a surge in attendance for home league games as fans are hopeful that the club can replicate its success. That’s an event most wouldn’t want to miss, whereas many people aren’t interested in the early rounds of the cup until a bigger club is drawn.

• Like 1