Holocaust Memorial Day

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

We must never forget the Holocaust. We must ensure that the young generation, and future generations are told about the holocaust, so that it will never ever happen again

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

I spent a couple of days after Christmas translating transcripts from a Holocaust survivor, a Hungarian woman who survived because she told the guards she was 16 and therefore able to work. They worked her almost to death and left her behind at Auschwitz because she was on the verge of death. Later in life she moved to Frankfurt, where she still lives today. It was harrowing to write.

Politicians had spent years "othering" Jews, systematically taking away their rights and removing them from society. In the end her former neighbours and friends turned on her.

Reality check: there is NO reason why this couldn't happen today. All around us we can see how easy it is to turn people against each other. In Germany the AfD is flying high in the polls at over 30% in some states, and I think they'll take control of their first state government before the years are out. This is a party that sent representatives to a meeting of right-wing extremists and discussed plans to deport migrants who in their eyes "wouldn't integrate" (even those with German citizenship) along with political opponents.

Most people who support that party don't believe they are fascists. They think "fascist" is an insult to be thrown at people they don't like. That is why remembrance isn't bowing your head and being sad, it's about educating people politically so they understand why it could happen again!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Supporter+

At this sad anniversary of an absolutely abhorrent chapter in World history, we should be remembering all thise victims that died, & we should be leaving politics out of this. We had two regimes, in WW2, one from the  far left and one from the far right, that started as a far left party, committing terrible crimes of humanity. And we have seen since WW2 terrible genocide orchestrated by the left wing Pol Pot in Cambodia, then we have the Tutsi genocide in Rwanda, that was ethnic between .one tribe against the other.

Sadly we see anti-Semitism rearing it's ugly head again in this Country. That's why remembering and educating is important and must continue.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

the holocaust is such an horrific even, millions of innocent lives lost.

its unthinkable that a nation could cause so much damage, tearing families apart and ruling by such horrible fear. its a dark chapter in the history of humans. a reminder of the depths to which hatred can sink. the scale of the atrocities, the systematic extermination of people based on their race, religion and political beliefs is unimageable. the faces i have seen of the innocent are haunting and very saddening, especially the faces of young children.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Supporter+
1 hour ago, liampie said:

the holocaust is such an horrific even, millions of innocent lives lost.

its unthinkable that a nation could cause so much damage, tearing families apart and ruling by such horrible fear. its a dark chapter in the history of humans. a reminder of the depths to which hatred can sink. the scale of the atrocities, the systematic extermination of people based on their race, religion and political beliefs is unimaginable. the faces i have seen of the innocent are haunting and very saddening, especially the faces of young children.

We'll put. My sentiments too..

• Like 2

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It is haunting when you see the footage of how German soldiers separate families, what is worse is when you learn about Klaus Barbie and Reinhard Heydrich. I hate how their names live on for the crimes they committed, when little is known about those lives that were taken. It's such a saddening event in human history, and personally I find it hard to forgive such actions.

Any germans involved in the war, I could never see as decent.

I know someone will say to me, but they had no choice and that it would have been the same for them. Yet, they're all directly involved with the worst aspects of humanity and once they are gone. Maybe, then things can be settled. Yet, whilst some have managed to flee and live perfectly normal lives - my sentiments remain the same.

I wished more was done to honour those taken by such horrific circumstances.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Chris I agree with what you have said.

There is a X account called  Auschwitz Memorial (@Auschwitzmuseum) that gives faces and names to the victims. The account posts each day with information about victims of the holocaust.

Not to their credit, but the fact that the Germans kept maticulous records, it is known who the victims are and where and when they were murdered.

• Love 1

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

12 minutes ago, Robbie said:

Not to their credit, but the fact that the Germans kept maticulous records, it is known who the victims are and where and when they were murdered.

At least they didn't rob them of this right.

I will look into the Twitter account you mentioned Robbie. I have seen YouTube videos where they talk about victims and their backgrounds, some including having found existing family members. I wished I remembered what the channel was called. I don't usually sub to channels but it's moments like this when you regret it.