Stuart Maynard picks his first Notts Team

Robbie

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Only one change by Stuart Maynard, Jaden Warner on the bench.

• Like 6

Supporter+

Notts 1 Barrow 1 at half time.

Haven't seen a significant change in Notts's shape, there have been an attempt to cover a little more, but the Barrow goal was down to a couple of individual errors again.

A marvelous assist from Jodi again for Nemane to finish at the far post for our equaliser. 

Will we see changes for Notts in the 2nd half?

• Like 4

Supporter+

Full time 

Notts 1 Barrow 1

I'll take that Result. Barrow are a good well drilled side and very physical. They've had some excellent results against the top teams in this league. 

I didn't see much difference, if any, in the shape, Notts were working hard but the first 15 minutes we could have been 0:2 down, but we did improve and we keep scoring, Jodi starring again with a dangerous cross, something he's been doing week after week, and Aaron, what can you say about him, finishes it off, him scoring 5 goals in 5 games, gives us another dimension.

Mansfield lost again today, we play Mansfield at Field Mill next. I'm more confident now that we can get a result at their place, a draw would be a good result again.

Onward and upwards with Stuart's black & white army.

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

i would have given jaden warner the start over richard brindley. at times brindley did very well going forward, but he made some defensive errors which were a little difficult to overlook. a better could have punished us. i wonder if we could use brindley as a wingback or defensive midfielder if we needed? his time here is looking uncertain otherwise because i do prefer a proper centre back there.

he did well in the middle for a time but i dont think hes defensively consistent enough to warrant the start.

• Like 5

Supporter+

@liampie Brindley as a substitute wing back could be an option.

I'll be very surprised if Jaden doesn't start against Mansfield.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

I do think our defence is unfairly targeted by our fans though. I thought their goal took a couple of deflections which fell very nicely for them, on another day it would have fallen for us and the threat would have gone.  I thought we looked a lot tighter in defence, especially in the second half.  A bit more pace at the back would help, and I think we will see Warner at Mansfield. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

@Ohh Tommy Johnson at the time it slowed down for me, it looked like they were very lucky to be in the right place - just as the ball came across. I don't think Aidan Stone could have done much about it. Defensively, I do think we should have been a bit more alert, but it was a good move by Barrow. If this was against Barrow, they would have had more structure to deal with the threat. We don't seem to get tight and organised at the back.

We can't say it wasn't good play from Barrow, but it is one of those unfortunate things where we were simply caught off guard. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Chris said:

@Ohh Tommy Johnson at the time it slowed down for me, it looked like they were very lucky to be in the right place - just as the ball came across. I don't think Aidan Stone could have done much about it. Defensively, I do think we should have been a bit more alert, but it was a good move by Barrow. If this was against Barrow, they would have had more structure to deal with the threat. We don't seem to get tight and organised at the back.

We can't say it wasn't good play from Barrow, but it is one of those unfortunate things where we were simply caught off guard. 

That's fair, but I would also say, they don't score that in the second half. We were noticeably tighter in the second half.  

• Like 4

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Absolutely, @Ohh Tommy Johnson.

There was a difference in the first half; it's just how Barrow came flying out at us that made things difficult to begin with. Once we calmed down, defensively we were a lot better. I think Aidan Stone deserve a lot of credit for us taking a point, they could have easily scored more than one with the chances they had - despite the better defending.

Aden Baldwin I thought was very good, @super_pie said he would have been his Man of the Match.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Chris said:

Absolutely, @Ohh Tommy Johnson.

There was a difference in the first half; it's just how Barrow came flying out at us that made things difficult to begin with. Once we calmed down, defensively we were a lot better. I think Aidan Stone deserve a lot of credit for us taking a point, they could have easily scored more than one with the chances they had - despite the better defending.

Aden Baldwin I thought was very good, @super_pie said he would have been his Man of the Match.

He would have been close for m too.  The trouble with the MoM award is it tends to go to the one that catches the eye.  It is undeniable that this was Jones, but without Baldwin there would have been at least one more goal against.  A header cleared a shot in the first half.  We were directly behind the shot and no way was Stone getting to it. He made several other telling blocks and tackles.  On the other hand Jones seemed to open them up at will, and was our main creative outlet, so I can see why he was given it.

Despite the criticism I thought Robertson ad Bostock also tightened up the defence after Maynard made that teak at half time.  They weren't perfect, but it was good to see the change working.  I was fully expecting a drop off after the break which has happened a lot in the past few months, but this time we had a positive response.  From that point of view I would say Maynard had a good first game and had a positive influence. I suspect in previous weeks we would have lost that.

There has also been a lot said about showboating and trying to be too clever (not so much here).  I didn't see it that way.  There may have been an element of trying to show the new head coach what they could do, but I got the feeling that these flicks etc were for players that weren't where they expected them to be.  Maybe this is due to a change in the system which hasn't bedded in yet. There were a couple where I could see what Didzy (in particular) was trying to do, and if they had come off would have put Jones, Macca or Crowley through - they were just a second behind, ahead or going a different direction.  The same to Bostock, he seemed to slow things down a lot, but it seemed to me that his first intention wasn't on, so he took another touch and played it safe.

I don't go to enough games to know how we 'normally' play, but I felt we did OK and should feel pretty positive about the future under Maynard. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  0

Notts showed significant improvement in their defence. Expecting rapid changes is unrealistic as it’s challenging for a new manager like Stuart Maynard to completely transform the team instantly. In my view, Maynard’s approach is commendable. I don’t foresee any of the loaned players joining the team soon. It seems Maynard prefers to rely on the players who are permanently at the club. His squad selection made a lot of sense, although I was hoping to see Jaden Warner start. I believe we will, but it might take a few games into Maynard’s tenure.

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,786
  • Days Won:  27

There was a lot of curiosity about who Stuart Maynard would pick, but I can see why he started with Aidan Stone and Richard Brindley. The rest of the players are automatic choices for our team, and no one on the bench has shown they should be starting based on their form in games. I watched our new loan goalkeeper warm up, and he seemed very capable during shooting practice. I believe Jaden Warner could strengthen the defence, but he might have to wait his turn.

• Like 1