Don't Dismiss Non-League Talent

Chris

Don't dismiss non-league talent, says Notts County loan ace Kwesi Appiah.

5761148-large.jpg

From the bottom to the top: Having started out at non-league Maidstone United in 2007, just three years later Chris Smalling had signed for Manchester United. He's now an England regular.

ANYBODY who listened to Gordon Strachan's sarcastic assessment of non-league players last weekend was merely further proof about the stigma attached to them.

"They come in all shapes and sizes," was the Scotland manager's dismissive judgment as fans of Conference clubs went into a meltdown on a variety of social media platforms.

To write off non-league players as not fit for purpose seems a little bizarre given how Chris Smalling has become an England international having started out at Maidstone.

Kwesi Appiah is also proof that players can be found in the world of semi-professional football having joined Crystal Palace from Margate.

He too is of the belief that there are many gems waiting to be undiscovered outside of the 92 club.

"There are a lot of players in non-league who could easily make the step up into the Football League," he said.

"I spent three months on loan at Cambridge in the Conference and it just opened my eyes even more.

"I remember thinking 'wow' there are some serious players in this league.

"At some point I am sure they will get the opportunity and they just have to keep on doing what they are doing."

Even at the age of 23, Appiah has already enjoyed quite a nomadic career.

Full Article; Here.

Appiah seems a very confident young striker, he could have more of an impact if we could create him a clear chance. With a goal is confidence could be encouraging, however isn't is loan deal nearly half way through now? It was an emergency month loan, I wonder if Derry will try to extend or allow him to go back.

Certainly we need a striker.

This is another reason why we need a reserve team playing week in, week out football at a competitive level. The so called development squad, with a game occasionally isn't the best format for an up and coming player to show his wares.

Non-league is the place to keep an eye on, if and its a big if at Notts, they are given the opportunities to shine.

Appiah sounds like a confident lad, which is a good thing. What he needs now is a good few runs out to show what he can do given a chance. The point being give them a chance.

Feel a bit strange saying this now and may be ridiculed for saying it, but has Mac made a big impact since he came back? Could we have carried on without him? Great player, dont get me wrong, but the formation he needs does tend to play to him and nobody else. Maybe an old fashioned 442 would help Notts at the mo with 2 out and out forwards trying to impose themselves from the front, not running from the middle.

This is another reason why we need a reserve team playing week in, week out football at a competitive level. The so called development squad, with a game occasionally isn't the best format for an up and coming player to show his wares.

Non-league is the place to keep an eye on, if and its a big if at Notts, they are given the opportunities to shine.

Appiah sounds like a confident lad, which is a good thing. What he needs now is a good few runs out to show what he can do given a chance. The point being give them a chance.

Feel a bit strange saying this now and may be ridiculed for saying it, but has Mac made a big impact since he came back? Could we have carried on without him? Great player, dont get me wrong, but the formation he needs does tend to play to him and nobody else. Maybe an old fashioned 442 would help Notts at the mo with 2 out and out forwards trying to impose themselves from the front, not running from the middle.

not really, apart from his free kick. its nice to have him back but some fans focus more on goals and assists rather than how they do. some of the fans my age on social pages make me sick, they just rip into players for not being good enough.

he might not have featured much but he could very well be.

the non league is only poor because coaches, teams, surrounded by weak players but some do stand out.

not really, apart from his free kick. its nice to have him back but some fans focus more on goals and assists rather than how they do. some of the fans my age on social pages make me sick, they just rip into players for not being good enough.

he might not have featured much but he could very well be.

the non league is only poor because coaches, teams, surrounded by weak players but some do stand out.

and the players that do stand out we need to be recognised as a club who is forward thinking enough to give them a fair crack of the whip. Like hopefully Appiah who has moved onto bigger and better things.

and the players that do stand out we need to be recognised as a club who is forward thinking enough to give them a fair crack of the whip. Like hopefully Appiah who has moved onto bigger and better things.

we need to do it with our own youngsters, tempest as been forgotten but he could do a job for us. i think if we gave him a job that matched his current abilities it would help him to learn more.

yet hes an attacking type of player rather defensive.

i think we need to learn to get the best out of players, the non league is a great area to look. do you agree @super_ram nigel clough did this right?

we need to do it with our own youngsters, tempest as been forgotten but he could do a job for us. i think if we gave him a job that matched his current abilities it would help him to learn more.

yet hes an attacking type of player rather defensive.

i think we need to learn to get the best out of players, the non league is a great area to look. do you agree @super_ram nigel clough did this right?

Yes @liampie,Nigel took a gamble with quite a few non league and lower league players.I think if a manager sees some ability in a player it's worth that gamble.See if the ability can be nurtured further.If they aren't up to playing at a higher level the player can be released,but  if they do blossom it saves a lot in transfer money and player and club benefit.

Yes @liampie,Nigel took a gamble with quite a few non league and lower league players.I think if a manager sees some ability in a player it's worth that gamble.See if the ability can be nurtured further.If they aren't up to playing at a higher level the player can be released,but  if they do blossom it saves a lot in transfer money and player and club benefit.

i guess we need to buy in players who are available on a free and try getting some from the non league, we just don't seem to sign different types. fotheringham is defensive, so is boucaud. :(

Archived