Match Discussion: PSF - The Pilgrims (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,270
  • Days Won:  80

PSF - The Pilgrims (A)

Team: Boston United

Date: 30/07/2024

Where: Boston Community Stadium

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,459
  • Days Won:  164
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

It goes without saying that Stuart Maynard needs to start with what he thinks will be his strongest side that will begin the League 2 campaign against Tranmere. I hope Matt Palmer can get some valuable match minutes against Boston.

I would like to see the striking partnership of Scott and Jatta continue. Jatta already has 3 goals to his name in the preseason games. I believe his name should be first on the play list against Tranmere.

Hope young Reynolds is featured in the side once again. Young Jack Hinchy should also start tonight too.

I think it is important that Notts give an impressive performance against Boston. They have to aim for a clean sheet, with a few goals scored too.

• Like 6

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

A strong performance and a favourable outcome would certainly be pleasing. However, I recognise that the primary focus of the pre-season is on improving fitness. A victory over Boston might not hold much significance, but it could alleviate some concerns about our readiness or perceived underperformance. It’s not really feasible to assess form until the season commences, and even then, patience is required.

• Like 5

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  874
  • Days Won:  1

The start of the season is fast approaching. Some players who we believe should be in the starting eleven are showing promising form. If we can build on this and establish a structure from the final pre-season friendlies, it will be a positive sign going into the opening matches.

• Like 4

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I like the look of Boston's new stadium, I have been meaning to go when we have played them but it's just not worked out.

It should be a good friendly, as the pitch tends to be decent and Boston shouldn't throw to much into the friendly. I think both teams will get a good amount of time on the ball, so it would be good to see us defensively cope with their attacking play.

• Like 3

Supporter+

This is how Notts line up for the first half tonight.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Supporter+

DIDZY!

Boston 0 Notts 1.

• Like 3

Supporter+

DIDZY'S goal separates the sides at half time.

Boston 0 Notts 1

• Like 2

Supporter+

• Sad 1

Supporter+

• Sad 1

Supporter+

This is not good.

• Sad 1

Supporter+

Full time

Boston 2 Notts 1

Ten man Boston beat Notts.

Not good at all.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,770
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Another unacceptable goal keeping blunder from Slocombe...

Good winning goal from Boston but forma footballing team like Notts, we should have been making the extra man count.

Tranmere scout sat just in front of me, went away happy

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Let the scout go back to Tranmere happy, because until we play neither team will truly know what to expect. I have only seen the score, but it seems like we played David McGoldrick as a striker. I'm hoping this won't be the answer for the season, as he might have scored today, but we need energy up top.

I've read a lot of gloomy comments, I don't see much validation in them.

We could have properly afforded to go into the game with a more established side, one that would look like our first team. It's a bit disappointing we didn't because I do believe form going into the last run of friendlies before the new season is underway is important. I dread to watch the highlights, judging by @Piethagoram's comment about Sam Slocombe.

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Days Won:  17

Really what an awful Performance. For a Team that's strengthened defensively with the hope for Pushing for Promotion to League 1 and they can't even beat a Non League side. Just What The Hell Is Maynard Up To? Does He Enjoy Putting Himself Under Pressure? Heaven Help Notts on this Performance against Peterborough they'll Rip the Magpies Apart. And don't go on about it's a Friendly and it doesn't count. That's as Maybe But Winning any kind of Match Breeds Confidence through out the Squad. And if the Magpies get a Thumping at Peterborough Well it won't belong Before in some quarters before the Knives are being Sharpened Ready For Maynard.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Supporter+

That's 7 goals conceded in the last 3 matches. That's over two goals a game 

That's what we were conceding last season.

Again, some will say that it's only preseason games & they really don't mean anything, but Notts have bought players in that are supposed to be better than the ones they've let go.

And we are still leaking goals like a sieve.

Notts have to play their strongest side against Peterborough otherwise I dread to see what the final score may be.

Surely, Maynard must know by now what is starting eleven will be against Tranmere.

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,726
  • Days Won:  27

Let’s be realistic, the starting 11 played is unlikely to match Stuart Maynard’s selection for the season. Jacob Bedeau is probably the only defender who will make it to the team sheet. It’s doubtful that Adam Chicksen and Kellan Gordon would start over Jodi Jones or Aaron Nemane. Moreover, Nick Tsaroulla is expected to feature more than Chicksen.

From a defensive standpoint, the selection seems weak. However, I’m not overly concerned. I do hope that Scott Robertson and Curtis Edwards demonstrated some synergy on the field.

Relying on Sam Austin, Ryley Reynolds, and David McGoldrick to spearhead our attack does seem a bit harsh. While I’m pleased that Reynolds did, there’s a noticeable lack of quality around him.

The changes made around the 60-minute mark seemed quite disjointed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

I’m not overly concerned, but I do believe we need to concentrate more on our first team in the match against Peterborough. From what I’ve heard, the game could have ended in a draw, which might have been a fairer outcome. However, we shouldn’t place too much importance on friendly matches.

It’s worth noting that some supporters are already criticising Stuart Maynard again, hinting that he might be the first manager to lose his job this season.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  30
  • Days Won:  0

I am a bit loss for words. I know these are only pre season games but I really thought we would look al ot stronger defensively and we would have had more consistent results through the pre season, and by this stage, we would have been winning at least the last two games against York and Boston. Currently feeling a little unsure about the season ahead. Hopefully it is just down to the changes and taking a little time to gel as a unit. 

• Like 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Days Won:  17

Preseason Friendlies are to build up a Players fitness, time for New Players to get settled into their New Environment  and for the Head Coach to get an idea of the players he'll start in his First XI  once the League Season Starts and by Winning Games to Install Confidence and a Positive Attitude.

Leaking Goals was a Major Problem last season and new Defenders have been brought in to Stop the Rot. And yet 7 goals conceded in the Last 3 Matches  alone Is A Major Concern. So perhaps the Fault doesn't lie with the Defence more of the way Notts play. I don't know how many more times Fans are going to have to say this, until Richard Montague and Stuart Maynard Realize it.

THE NOTTS TIPPY TAPPY FOOTBALL "MODEL" DOES NOT WORK.

I would say a Majority of Players Don't like it as it goes against the way they normally play  and New Players are struggling to Adapt. Stuart Maynard does Not have very good Man Management skills. However left to his own devices he May be able to Find a Winning Formula. But I think there is to much  Interference  from other  Quarters that Stops him doing his Job Properly.

And for Fans not overly concerned with the Preseason Results, if memory serves, the Preseason before Notts were Promoted back into the EFL, the Magpies Didn't lose a Match. Therefore Winning becomes a Habit and a Team will carry that Winning Attitude Into The New Season.

• Like 1

Supporter+

I really don't accept this excuse that it doesn't matter because it's a preseason friendly.

If Notts want to get promoted, the whole squad should be strong enough, so that when a player comes on, he can either perform as well as the person he has replaced, or is capable of adding more to the team and being capable of changing a game if necessary.

Maynard is using the whole of his squad in games, and the whole Notts County squad should be much better than what Boston can put out.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case at all. And the fact that Boston were reduced to ten men and still won is a massive cause for concern in my opinion.

Even the trialists should be better, but they are clearly not.

Seven goals conceded in three games, two games against  inferior opposition, is absolutely terrible.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  367
  • Days Won:  1

My mate was very impressed by the very young Boston sub who came on and scored the very well taken winning goal Does anyone know any more information about him?? 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

In the many years I’ve been watching Notts I can remember times when they won lots of pre season matches and had a poor season, I also remember then losing lots of pre season and having a great season.

The thing is we won’t know how the team is doing until at least 10 games into the season by that time we should have some idea of how the season will pan out, a promotion battle, relegation fight or mid table mediocrity. Whatever happens we’ll still be here either moaning or happily discussing how well we’ve done. :biggrin:

@gtownjohnno https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemi_Aderoju

Stand out performances from Sam Osborne (perhaps Notts should have looked at him 😉)

A Mr Nasty performance from :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Hazel

Always secret wish Jordan Richards does enough to warrant a return to Notts... always neat but never quite outstanding when compared to his father Pedro. 

Kellan Gordon looked useful down the right, Robertson was superb in aggression and on the ball

Slocombe remains a BIG liability. Why couldnt we have let Slocombe go to Gateshead instead of Tiernan?

• Like 1