R.I.P Tom Finney

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Sir Tom Finney: Former Preston and England winger dies at 91

<!--url{0}--> Former Preston and England winger Sir Tom Finney has died at the age of 91.

Finney made more than 400 league appearances for Preston North End between 1946 and 1960 and won 76 caps for England.
Preston's favourite son
Sir Tom Finney
Paul Fletcher BBC Sport

"Preston has lost its favourite son, a man who gave Prestonians pride in the place they come from. It was as though a little of the esteem and respect in which Finney was held rubbed off on all of them.

"My dad always insisted that he knew him. Everyone of his generation did and so I took his words lightly. One day I was walking through the centre of town with my old man when I noticed Finney walking towards us. He looked up as our paths crossed and, with what I am sure to this day was a hint of recognition, looked my dad square in the face and wished him good morning.

"Sir Tom, you will be missed."

Read Paul Fletcher's tribute

He scored 30 goals for England, placing him joint sixth on the all-time list with Alan Shearer and Nat Lofthouse.

A Preston statement said: "Sir Tom was the greatest player to ever play for Preston North End and one of the all time greats for England."

Preston are due to play Leyton Orient in League One on Saturday at Deepdale.

The statement added: "Preston North End have been informed of the extremely sad news of the passing of Sir Tom Finney.

"The thoughts of everyone at the club, and those connected with it, are with his family at this time."

The Football Association tweeted: "The FA is saddened to hear of the passing of Sir Tom Finney, one of England's all-time greatest players."

Manchester United manager David Moyes knew Finney well during his time playing for, and then managing Preston between 1993 and 2002, owning a framed picture of Finney at his home.

Speaking before Finney's death, Moyes said: "Sir Tom was a great help in the early stages of my management career.

"He had an incredible passion for the game and someone I have great admiration for. There is no doubt he is one of the greatest players but to me he is also a great man."
Play media

Sir Tom Finney: a look back at a remarkable life

BBC chief football correspondent Mike Ingham told BBC Radio 5 live: "He was a slight figure but incredibly brave. Former Liverpool manager Bill Shankly considered him to be the greatest player to ever play the game.

"That's all you need to know."

Born in Preston, Finney was named footballer of the year in 1953-54 and 1956-57 and was twice a runner-up in the league with his local club, as well as playing in the 1954 FA Cup final defeat to West Brom.

He was linked with a move to Italian side Palermo in 1952, but Preston chairman Nat Buck quashed the deal, saying: "If tha' doesn't play for us, tha' doesn't play for anybody."
Twitter reaction

MOTD presenter Gary Lineker: "Sir Tom Finney has left us. One of the greatest players this country has ever seen, and a true gentleman"
MOTD pundit and former Preston winger Kevin Kilbane: "I'm proud to say I grew up on the same street as Sir Tom Finney. Very sad to hear of his passing."
Wolves: "Farewell to one of the game's greats. Rest in peace Sir Tom Finney. A true legend & former team mate and friend of our own Billy Wright."
Chelsea: "Chelsea FC is saddened to hear of the passing of Sir Tom Finney, one of England's all-time greats. Condolences to his family and friends."
West Ham: "Everyone at West Ham United has been deeply saddened by the passing of @pnefc and England great Sir Tom Finney."

In all he scored 187 league goals for North End and was also a qualified plumber in the family business. North End were relegated from the top flight in 1961, a year after Finney retired, and have not returned since.

He played at the 1954 and 1958 World Cup finals with England. Former England and Blackpool defender Jimmy Armfield calling him a "great footballer and a great man".

Speaking in 2012, England's record goalscorer Sir Bobby Charlton called Finney's contribution to football "immeasurable".

Charlton told BBC Sport: "I used to look at him and think, this is fantastic.

"Watching him, you knew full well that the full-backs had had it. He was just too good for them. Occasionally I had the pleasure to play with him and it was the greatest pleasure anyone could ever give me.

"He passed to me on my England debut and I had never been so proud.

"I have so many happy memories of watching him play. His contribution to football is immeasurable."

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

Very sad to hear this news.A TRUE legend and a really nice bloke-R.I.P The Preston Plumber.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

Never really knew the bloke. But he is upstairs in "The the league of fine Gentlemen".

Can see the game now. Tommy up front,  Tom on the wing, Sir Matt on the right. Albert in Goal. :D

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

Sad news! Another football legend gone. My thoughts go to his family and friends.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Very sad, a little before my time, I would have loved to see him play.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

Condolences to family,friends and fans.R.I.P Tom Finney.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

sad to learn learn the news tommy finny  has passed away another legend leaves us memories that will last a life time never saw saw him play but i would have loved the chance to r i p tommy a true county legend 

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

sad to learn learn the news tommy finny has passed away another legend leaves us memories that will last a life time never saw saw him plaiy but i would have loved the chance to r i p tommy a true county legend

As far as I know Tom Finney never played for Notts, he spent his whole career at Preston, can you imagine a player doing that these days?

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  894
  • Days Won:  11

Never really knew the bloke. But he is upstairs in "The the league of fine Gentlemen".

Can see the game now. Tommy up front,  Tom on the wing, Sir Matt on the right. Albert in Goal. :D

And Sir Jimmy as Manager

• Content Count:  12,905
  • Days Won:  162

often i feel ignorant about not knowing players but he was a star! r.i.p tom finney

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

often i feel ignorant about not knowing players but he was a star! r.i.p tom finney

You can't be expected to know all the old players @liampie,you're far too young but in this day and age too many players are given the title  'superstar' Every club has it's own  'superstars' and to that team they are, but the true 'superstar is  a player who fans from every club appreciate.Not just for their footballing ability but for what they've put back into football,for their contribution to the teams they've represented and the entertainment they've provided.Tom Finney was,in todays terms,a true superstar.

Archived