Sam Allardyce slams modern-day ‘brainwashed’ football

Robbie

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,256
  • Days Won:  189
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Does Big Sam have it right when he slams modern-day ‘brainwashed’ football?

WWW.GBNEWS.COM

Legendary former Premier League manager Sam Allardyce has lambasted...

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,287
  • Days Won:  17

Of Course he's Right @Robbie. Modern Day Football is Brainwashed So is the FA and a Large Number of Fans. Who Can't get it into their Heads that their Attitude will bring about the Death Knell of the Game We follow, all that Will Happen is Big Sam will be slammed as a Dinosaur who Doesn't understand the "Modern Game" and Big Sam's probably Forgotten More About Football, the his Distractors will Ever Know.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Supporter+

You are absolutely right @Wheelbarrow repair man 

We've seen it at Notts, they've seen it at Southampton, trying to play the ball out from the back despite being in a dangerous situation.

Why can't they do the sensible thing by booting the ball upfield or just kicking the ball into touch, or pass it back to the goalie so he can clear the ball to safety.

I agree with Sam that direct football can be much more exciting than the slow slow build up that we see with modern football.

And going more direct can put opponents on the wrong foot because they possibly don't know how to deal with it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,910
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I must admit I find the slow build up from the back pretty boring, the continual passing around by the defenders and goalie, then when it goes forward into midfield someone passes it back again and it gets passed around by the defenders once more.

I’d much rather see exciting fast flowing football that gets you on the edge of your seat.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  8,968
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

No, Big Sam is a dinosaur. Brentford are very much a possession side too, except that they "mix it up" especially in the opening minutes.

I disagree with @Fan of Big Tone on his point...That type of football initially under Nolan got us relegated from the FL.

I am old school Howard Wilkinson " You have nothing to fear provided you have control of the ball". Possession is king ( except if it's Russell):rollonfloorlaughing:

• Love 1

Supporter+

Big Sam is a legend at Notts. His opinions & methods should be respected. For all said & done his methods got Notts promotion.

"Sam Allardyce, was known for his hard work, organization, & focus on training when he managed Notts County:

Training

Allardyce was known for his detailed training sessions, where he made sure players understood their roles & responsibilities. He also brought sport analytics to the club.

Set plays

Allardyce believed in the importance of set plays, and worked on them with the team every day.

Long ball tactics

Allardyce's teams were known for their long ball tactics, which some call a bad style of play but others call methodical & effective.

Player development

Allardyce was able to transform players, such as Davies, who became a focal point target man.  

Allardyce managed Notts County from January 1997 until October 1999. He led the club to promotion as champions of Division Three in the 1997–98 season".  

(Source Google)

Neil Warnock's direct style of play lead Notts to two promotions so it proves that the direct style of play can be successful.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Correct Me If I'm Wrong. But Wasn't Neal Ardley In Charge At the Lane When Notts Were Relegated To The National League And Not Kevin Nolan? This Boring Tippy Tappy Type of Football only had any Real Effect under Luke Williams, who made it Work Due To his Excellent Man Management Skills, but even at the End of his Tenure it was Starting to Unravel. Ian Burchnall had tried to implement something along Similar Lines, it got Notts into Playoffs but No Further. Burchnall Failed Miserably at Forest Green after leaving the Lane, with those Tactics.

Isn't also Strange that when Some Clubs are in Dire Need to Be Saved From  Relegation, They Turn To Managers Such Has Big Sam And Neil Warnock And More Times Than Not, The So Called Dinosaurs Save Them From Going Down, Playing Their Tactics. Strange That.

• Like 1

Supporter+
10 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

I’d much rather see exciting fast flowing football that gets you on the edge of your seat.

I’m surprised you disagree with the above statement @Piethagoram 

Supporter+

I would certainly like to see a return of the British style of play. I do regret the growing influence of the continental style.

I was never a fan of teams who always wanted to "walk ithe ball into the net" 

I think that a team that decides to use the direct style now could be very successful, because most teams won't know how to counter it effectively.

Wimbledon were famous for that style of play in the 80s & 90s along with their aggressiveness & physicality on the field of play.

• Like 1

@Robbie Allardyce, the man who walked out on Notts, keys under the door, when poached by Bolton... still rankles that Bolton were subsequently fined but no compensation to Notts!

• Love 1

Supporter+

I could name many managers who left Notts to go to bigger clubs, , even Jimmy Sirrel did it before he came back.

However, leaving a club to manage a bigger club & further a career, should never come as a surprise to anyone.

It certainly doesn't annoy me because that is just football. All the managers that have come & gone & left a great legacy, are legends as far as I'm concerned & should be treated as such.

Stuart Maynard may leave us to manage a bigger club, but if he gets this club promoted he will be a legend too 

Supporter+

It wasn’t the fact that Big Sam left the club @Robbie as you say lots of managers have but it was the way he did it like a thief in the night. Bolton should have gone about it the right way and approached Notts so that compensation could be agreed, Sam could have left honourably, he owed us that,  and most fans would have wished him well.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Supporter+

I will remember Big Sam with fondness for what he did for this club.

No one's perfect. People make mistakes, but even if they left the club in circumstances some didn't like. it's time to move on.

I was upset myself when he left, I'm upset when anyone leaves the  club. But we move on.

But all this about him leaving our club is just a distraction. Big Sam has made some very good remarks & many will listen, even if some won't.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  13,052
  • Days Won:  162

i think sam allardyce tends to be controversial for the sake of keeping his name relevant.

i agree with some points, but people have been critical of him as a manager and his playing style. i think he achieved much more when he managed bolton, but the club is still living with the cost of supporting that period. his football was not the most exciting either, so i find it a bit bitter from his perspective. football can be exciting playing the ball out from the back, you just have to play it correctly and not rely on passing back at the sake of going forward. i think it comes down to patience and balance, but as for big sams views i dont really care for them.

• Love 1

Supporter+

I don't think big Sam is being controversial. I think he is saying it as it is and unfortunately some people don't like that approach but many do.

It just comes down to opinion in the end. If big Sam wanted to start a debate he has certainly done that.

Debate is a good thing. I accept that many like the 3-4-2-1 system that Notts generally employ in matches.

I love it when Notts are on their game & passing quickly through the lines, instead of times when they are tippy tapping it across the defensive line then making errors.

I have a thread on the  3-4-2-1 system. Tuchel prefers the 4-2-3-1 style which is a little similar to the Notts system & style. 

• Like 1

Another Point Regarding the Departure of Big Sam from the Lane, was the Fact his Wife Wanted to Return to the North. Yes He Could Have Gone About Leaving The Lane In A Better Way , But We're All Human And All Make Mistakes, and If You Have A Happy Wife You'll Have A Happy Life, After All Big Sam wasn't Married To The Club.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I was upset when Big Sam left, I was upset when Neil left. I was upset when Luke left. But you get over it. I just remember what they did for the club before they left. That's all that matters as far as I'm concerned.

All three of them will always have my respect, & I'll listen with interest in what they have to say in important matters relating to football.

• Like 1

@Wheelbarrow repair man Utter tosh "Another Point Regarding the Departure of Big Sam from the Lane, was the Fact his Wife Wanted to Return to the North. " His wife continued to live in Bromley Cross near Bolton! 

Supporter+

Big Sam's the man.

Premier League teams need to copy Sam Allardyce’s blueprint for success instead of following Pep Guardiola’s lead

WWW.THESUN.CO.UK

THE greatest trick Pep Guardiola ever pulled was convincing the world you...

• Like 1