Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Pride of Nottingham (Notts County Community)

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why don’t we interview players when we lose?

Topic summary coming soon

A catch-up may appear when this topic reaches 10 replies or its estimated reading time qualifies. It has not been published yet.

Subscribers unlock the enhanced version while helping to support Pride of Nottingham and features like this.

Featured Replies

We only seem to interview a player after a game we have won. I can’t remember the last time we interviewed one when we lost. Other clubs do. Is it because they might reveal what was said in the dressing after the game?

They’re probably busy licking their wounds with their ears still ringing after a tongue lashing from Martin.

fanofbigtoneuserb.webp

Proud to be a Notts County Supporter for over 60 years.

Community Expert
Subscriber
Subscriber

It's because the club doesn't want to expose the players to negativity by making them respond after defeats; we sometimes avoid doing so for draws. I have complained reasonably about this in the past, and people just say they would rather the players do their talking on the pitch.

However, in my opinion, it is not good to treat professional players as if they cannot give good insights into what went wrong on the pitch.

I think there's a lot to be learned from defeats, and having the players able to reflect on key moments in the game. Not only does it give us fans something to explain the players’ side of how things went, but it also takes away that 'we're in this together' attitude and hides responsiblity from having to focus on press related interviews. If the club really believes in communication and transparency, then I think they can expect more fans to be mature enough to accept what players have to say after defeats.

For those fans who feel interviews are just fine after winning games, why? It sends the wrong message.

The club might instruct the manager to take accountability for defeats or poor performances, but surely one of the many managers we have had would see the benefit from allowing the players to speak after games don't go our way instead of hiding them from the media.

chris-sig.webp

A field where dreams become reality.

Not really worried either way as not sure they are going to say what we all saw on Saturday, that is, that Bradford we're the better team.

Not that much better but second half their L1 experience and knowhow told. We got a bit out muscled in the middle of the park. Be good to get Robertson back as an option.

Bit disappointed in Mustapha and Roberts but thought Smyth has improved a lot since the Leicester game. Quite liked Kanu too.

It's going to be a tough October and a tough season but I feel well have enough to survive.

The 2 week break may be just what we need to reset.

8 minutes ago, Mapperley Pie said:

Not really worried either way as not sure they are going to say what we all saw on Saturday, that is, that Bradford we're the better team.

I am not sure Bradford are the better team; they just had a good strike on goal. They barely troubled us with efforts, and James Belshaw could have sat in a deck chair for most of the first half.

As I left, I felt that neither team deserved anything from the game.

Had Notts attacked the game better, who knows? It was an underwhelming performance, but Bradford were just as poor themselves. Several previous teams would have put the game to rest well before them if we had played the exact same way. Midfield never got going; Luka Smyth still doesn't look match-fit.

chris-sig.webp

A field where dreams become reality.

I’m pretty sure it’s Radio Nottingham who do the interviews, surely they could request to talk to one of the players? I’d be interested to hear the players thoughts, a bit like Martin Partinson’s post match, they’d never give everything away but you get a different perspective because the players are the one’s playing. We, like Martin Paterson, are only watching.

And if it just went out live on the radio, no Notts social media involvement, you’d avoid the social media negativity.

I think it's hard to give a positive interview after a loss. It's hard enough for the Head Coach to give one. It's best to leave it to the Head Coach and just move on.

Proud to be a supporter for 58 years & counting of the oldest professional football club in the World. COYP

Matchday Correspondent
Subscriber
Subscriber
On 14/09/2026 at 17:44, menzinho said:

I’m pretty sure it’s Radio Nottingham who do the interviews, surely they could request to talk to one of the players? I’d be interested to hear the players thoughts, a bit like Martin Partinson’s post match, they’d never give everything away but you get a different perspective because the players are the one’s playing. We, like Martin Paterson, are only watching.

And if it just went out live on the radio, no Notts social media involvement, you’d avoid the social media negativity.

It would still be picked up, much like us discussing it in topics.

All it takes is a comment about what a player said, even if the club didn't post a video about it. I am 100% sure someone on X would scoop the comments as a means to generate content.

Negativity is best handled with openness; look at all this back-and-forth about Jodi. It could have been put to rest much sooner, and created more issues going round in circles, and who is to point the finger at as it being their fault. Losing such an appreciated player would always bring negativity, but outright honesty can squash the ongoing drama. Press interviews aren't on this scale, so I don't think any negative remarks would last that long if a player said something fans didn't agree with.

I have nothing but respect for BBC Radio Nottingham, but just like the Nottingham Post, they won't ask or push for them. Maybe if we were higher, but we have played second fiddle to Mansfield and they generate enough content from Forest to keep themselves busy.

15 hours ago, Robbie said:

I think it's hard to give a positive interview after a loss. It's hard enough for the Head Coach to give one. It's best to leave it to the Head Coach and just move on.

I don't think it should be about being positive, but rather about being aware and transparent.

The player's perspective is an interesting viewpoint, since they are on the field, and I wouldn't personally hold their account against them. Without fans pushing for the club to handle interviews regardless, nothing will change. Simply, we have to accept that interviews will only be conducted when we win, and anything else is down to the gaffer.

However, there is one exception to the 'defeat' stance, in that Sky Sports sometimes requests them, and it tends to be granted.

In a cup game, for example, it is nice to hear the reactions of our lads when they put on a brave showing. Such as the League Cup defeats to Liverpool in 2013 and Aston Villa in 2015.

If Sky can speak to the players after defeat, I think it shows that the concern for negativity is just pandering and an excuse to other professional players from giving the fans a different account. My thoughts might be different if I had a negative take on losing games, but I don't. They happen; we are not always going to be the best team.

chris-sig.webp

A field where dreams become reality.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.