Home advantage?

DangerousSausage

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

A letter in this month's WSC got me thinking.

Last month Football League Division One for 1982-83 was featured in the magazine. It was particularly noticeable that every single team but one won more games at home than they lost, including all three relegated clubs (Luton won 7 and lost 7). In last season's Premier League, on the other hand, 11 of the 20 teams failed to do this.

Likewise away, in 82-83, only one team (Liverpool, the champions) won more away than they lost. Every single other team lost 9 or more of their 21 away games. Last season, 7 Premier League teams won away from home more often than they lost, with another one (Southampton) winning and losing seven.

We recently broke our club record for games unbeaten away from home, and this season we still haven't lost on our travels. I don't remember this kind of thing happening in the past. Home advantage seems to be a lot less significant than it used to be. But why? Thoughts?

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,139
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Yes, nobody mentioned it not even me. Our away form is good, without it we'd be mid table, so that highlights how good its been.

We've always struggled somewhat at home.

I don't really know why but the rule doesn't apply to us. Anyone know when the last time bar Munto our home form was as solid as this years away form?

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,924
  • Days Won:  162

what year was it when arsenal broke the undefeated record?

i think meadow lane is a difficult ground to play at, if its silent it just seems strange.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,521
  • Days Won:  9

Quality teams get the home form spot on before the away form, our tactics suite on the road and not so much at home.

I agree Meadow Lane is a difficult ground to play at, it would be interesting to compare and see if how many sides have good records at home these days. No doubt all notts fans would like to see us winning there!

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,470
  • Days Won:  5

Good question, I cant answer it. Decline of the English game?

Its change a lot from the days where home form was your bred and butter.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

We had a really good home record under Mick Walker, but couldn't buy a win away. There were suggestions that home fans moving to the Kop would make a difference, but I doubt it has.

This is a trend throughout football though and isn't limited to Notts. In 83 we won over half of our home games, but then so did 13 other teams. Last season only 7 teams managed this.

Another thing is interesting. In 83 Liverpool won the league by a street, averaging just under two points per game, last season that wouldn't have even got them into the top 4. Meanwhile at the bottom you need far fewer points nowadays to stay up, even allowing for the four fewer games played. I think this is because the gap between the top clubs and the rest has increased to the extent that the top clubs can expect to win on their travels, too, whereas in the 80s Notts really did go into home games against Manchester United expecting to win.

I knew things had changed but I was surprised to see such a stark difference between then and now. Would be interesting to see if the trend is as strong in the lower divisions.

I notice a difference when we are playing and the Kop's vocal, also the club did that thing where they shown how the attendances helped the results. As a player does impact games when you can hear vocal support, the opposite is achieved when randoms 'supporters' shout none sense from the stands. If the Kop could be vocal throughout a game, I'm not sure it would help all the time but it would make the hard games more enjoyable.

Away games fans seem more vocal, mainly because we're all packed in together and everyone wants to have a good time.

Note to self, blame the grumpy people in the Pavis (everyone else does).

I'd suspect if we was in the Championship that would help home form, it would have the do or die effect. Then again, was it Millwall who had a very, very poor home record? I think that might have been mentioned when @Dan had trouble with so small little scot.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

I notice a difference when we are playing and the Kop's vocal, also the club did that thing where they shown how the attendances helped the results. As a player does impact games when you can hear vocal support, the opposite is achieved when randoms 'supporters' shout none sense from the stands. If the Kop could be vocal throughout a game, I'm not sure it would help all the time but it would make the hard games more enjoyable.

Away games fans seem more vocal, mainly because we're all packed in together and everyone wants to have a good time.

Note to self, blame the grumpy people in the Pavis (everyone else does).

I'd suspect if we was in the Championship that would help home form, it would have the do or die effect. Then again, was it Millwall who had a very, very poor home record? I think that might have been mentioned when @Dan had trouble with so small little scot.

Don't blame the grumpy people in the Pavis. We do huddle together, but that's more for warmth than anything else!

@hissingdwarf I'm kidding buddy, I do wished more would join in singing and two games this season I have actually heard chants coming from the stand but everyone seems to blame them. :P

Archived