Clarke Carlisle

Feral Fox

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Wish him all the best at Christmas. A solid player, but also an outstanding guy who stood up for his beliefs in his role as PFA chairman. Lets hope the injuries stay as non-life threatening.

Airlifted to Leeds instead of Nottingham though?

Clarke Carlisle in hospital after serious road accident

Former Professional Footballers' Association chairman Clarke Carlisle is in hospital after being involved in a serious road accident on Monday.

The ex-Burnley defender, 35, was airlifted to Leeds General Infirmary.

The cause of the accident is unknown, although the BBC understands his injuries are not life threatening.

Carlisle is an ambassador for equality campaign body Kick It Out, who tweeted: "The thoughts and prayers of everyone here are with Clarke and his family."

The tweet added: "Stay strong our dear friend - keep on fighting."

Police have appealed for witnesses to the collision, which happened on the A64 near the village of Bishopthorpe, at 07:30 GMT.

A police spokeswoman said: "The collision involved a male pedestrian and a lorry.

"The injured man has been airlifted to Leeds General Infirmary with serious injuries.

"The road was closed to allow the air ambulance to land and to allow collision investigators to examine the scene."

Part of the road was closed for a number of hours while investigations took place.

The Football Association tweeted: "The thoughts and prayers of all at the FA are with Clarke Carlisle and his family at this sad time."

Centre-back Carlisle made more than 500 appearances during a playing career spanning 16 years at nine clubs, including Leeds and QPR,

He retired from professional football in 2013 after his last club, Northampton, were beaten by Bradford in the League Two play-off final, before working as a TV pundit.

Carlisle, who left school with 10 Grade A GCSEs, has earned a reputation for his intelligence, appearing on Channel Four's Countdown and the BBC's Question Time.

And through his role with Kick It Out, Carlisle - who is married with three children - has become a vociferous campaigner for inclusion and equality in football.

Burnley FC tweeted: "The thoughts of all at Burnley Football Club are with Clarke Carlisle and his family.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,139
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I probably know who he is by face but name wise, I'm stumped.

None the less I wish him a quick recovery.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

Wishing Clarke Carlisle a speedy recovery

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,301
  • Days Won:  69

My thoughts are with the family and friends of Clarke Carlisle and other's who have someone in hospital at this special time of year.Wishing a speedy recovery to all.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

@notts-joe...one of the most articulate footballers of his age. Brains as well. Talks openly about his struggles with depression as well. Genuinely nice bloke respected by all. Give his book a go. Excellent read.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,139
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

@hissingdwarf - It's just hit me who he is.

He did a documentary on himself for the BBC, it spun another whereby he interviewed players like Lee Hendrie and Michael Johnson. I have a lot of respect for him, now I've seen his face thanks to the wonders of Twitter I feel somewhat daft for not remembering but then again, my memory is pretty dodgy. I hope he's okay, just read that he's stable so that's good.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,924
  • Days Won:  162

i still dont know who he is.

hope hes okay though, cant say i read about him anywhere at all.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Hopefully he will go on to make a full recovery.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

Carlisle is very good at what he does, both being a footballer and spreading awareness of certain things in football, for example depression. He comes across well and ensures his opinion is heard. Get well soon!

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

i still dont know who he is.

hope hes okay though, cant say i read about him anywhere at all.

I'm glad it's not just me @liampie, I've never heard of him either, nevertheless I wish him well.

Archived