Plain packaged cigarettes

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

The government are considering bringing in standard plain packaging for all cigarette brands.

This means that all cigarette packets will look the same and the brand name will be in very small type at the bottom of the pack.

They say that this will reduce deaths from smoking related diseases and stop children from starting the habit.

I don't smoke but I would be interested to hear what smokers think about it. Do you smoke? Will this make you think of stopping? Do you think it will stop kids starting the habit?

Discuss.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

I doubt it'll make a massive difference, but I suppose brands do play a role in glamourising cigarettes. Now advertising has been banned, this is the logical next step. I'm not a smoker though and never have been.

They still have brands in Turkey, but on TV they're not even allowed to show a cigarette or a packet of fags any more. When they show old films from the 70s, you often now see the protagnonists with blurred-out circles over their mouths where a cigarette used to be, which is actually counterproductive as it draws attention to it!

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  27
  • Days Won:  0

I smoke, this will not make me stop, if it helps to stop young kids from starting to smoke , then it will be a good thing.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It won't do anything.

People need more help in stopping, I personally think the cigarette manufactures should be taxed x amount and that used to encourage people who have health concerns or over a certain age to quit smoking via a £££ incentive. Some people need a little bit of help, whereas some can quit by themselves. I also think they should lift the age to 21 and any seen smoking below that should be fined.

I'm not a fan of smoking because of the damage it does, I have never smoked and I wouldn't start.

I wished @super_ram would quit, though he has no will power to do so.

Though blank packing will not stop serious smokers, just like the stupid images didn't.

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

it will help the companies making them save money on ink! thats all. i think its a tool politicians are using to make them look busy.

• Content Count:  80
  • Days Won:  0

When I go for some fags I just ask for 10 or 20 of the cheapest so blank packaging makes no difference. Anyway giving up smoking is easy I've done it 100's of times. (stolen from Mark Twain).

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Anyway giving up smoking is easy I've done it 100's of times. (stolen from Mark Twain).

Lol, my Dad always used to say that when I was little, I thought it was so clever, I never realised he pinched it from Mark Twain.

Hang on perhaps he was Mark Twain I never saw them both in the same room together. :joker:

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

when I started we used to buy them singularly from the bloke in the shop, no packaging involved. I have never bought a packet based on the packaging, I always smoked number 1 until they reached £5 a pack, then moved onto L&B, at the end I smoked the L&B blue (19 for 6.50, as opposed to 20 at nearly £8)

I saw the light so to speak when the dentist gave me a straight 50/50 choice. Eat tasty animals or smoke. I chose tasty animals, mmmmm steak. Smoke free since October the 4th 2014.

If I was young and stupid (again) the packaging wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

So, how can they really resolve this? By that I mean promote healthy living, quitting smoking, reducing young smokers taking the habit up?

Obviously white/blank packaging isn't going to work.

Archived