Moniz on way out.....

Fan of Big Tone

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

.....of Lisbon.

this is a sign I saw whilst on holiday pointing to a place called Moniz.

image.jpg

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Oh don't you start this LOL....

This is very much something I expect from @DangerousSausage and @Super_Danny_Allsopp but not you Tone!!

Supporter+

Not a very good picture actually I had to zoom in on my phone as it was across a four lane highway but it does say M. Moniz.

Supporter+

Found this on Wikipedia, apparently there are several places with the name Moniz around Lisbon, Martim Moniz was a Portuguese Knight.

Martim Moniz (died 1147) was a Portuguese knight of noble birth, and famous figure in the Siege of Lisbon in 1147.

According to the legend, Martim Moniz was a knight participating in the Christian invasion force, led by king Afonso I of Portugal, in the Siege of Lisbon, during the Reconquest. At one point in the siege of São Jorge Castle, he saw the Moors closing the castle doors. He led an attack on the doors, and sacrificed himself by lodging his own body in the doorway, preventing the defenders from fully closing the door.

This heroic act allowed time for his fellow soldiers to arrive and secure the door, leading to the eventual capture of the castle. Martim Moniz was killed in the incident. In his honor, the entrance was dubbed Porta de Martim Moniz (Gate of Martim Moniz).

There are currently several monuments and parks named after Martim Moniz in Lisbon. One of Lisbon's metro stations is named after him. The station features a stylized graphic depiction of the event on its walls.

One of his sons, Pedro Martins, Lord of the Tower of Vasconcelos, was the ancestor of the prominent Vasconcelos family.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

There are also many 'Moniz' players within football hailing from Portugal, when I first heard his name mentioned as a possible replacement for Shaun Derry - I'd never have guessed he was Dutch.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

You will have the wrath of Notts by posting this! Its not fair to lead people on.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

3 hours ago, tonyhateley said:

Not a very good picture actually I had to zoom in on my phone as it was across a four lane highway but it does say M. Moniz.

I was gonna say - what did you take this with - a gameboy? :lol:

Archived