Match Discussion: Game 38 - Pompey (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,727
  • Days Won:  23

cooper plays 532 wing backs Adams is out so milsom a left wing back would be decent.

So no wingers not that we have any cooper is a very good manager in my opinion but Pompey are very good at this level.

Yes we beat them at home but I felt we were very lucky they have some good players Marc mcnulty former sheff United striker Conor Chaplin mgurk former Burton winger chris Hollands Ben Davies.

I think they'll beat us 2-0 and that's just because in reality there a very good side I think cooper will make us more entertaining and better football in honesty I'd take a point.

If we can get all 3 amazing il take that hopefully cooper gets em playing and we win but in hindsight I can't see it just to the fact there a top side.

Next season when cooper rebuilds is where we will see the best side of him hope they prove me wrong and beat Pompey 2-0 

I'd like to see montel   get a shot young seems to score in reserves diffrent game I know but stead mcleod Murray aren't egxactly setting the world alight at the min

• Content Count:  530
  • Days Won:  24

Has anyone else got pre-match nerves?

I was up at 6am here....tingling.....I've not been this excited since Moniz was announced as our new manager.....COYP.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,179

Ohhhh Stanley Aborahhhh!

Smith at centre half, Audel was injured this morning

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Content Count:  530
  • Days Won:  24

The site has been down most of the afternoon?

Anyway, lost 4-0.....MC has his work cut out to raise morale for Monday!

• Like 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Ouch. MC has a lot of work ahead of him. York gained a point on us. As did Stevenage. Hartlepool gained 3 on us. We need a result on Monday.

• Like 2

I have came to the realisation that we just aren't good enough, stead and McLeod are meant to be proven strikers and we thought they would destroy league 2 but they just haven't performed, and the defence is just a shambles, I think MC has his work cut out for him

• Like 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  631
  • Days Won:  8

The team were good enough to beat Portsmouth at home, but listening to the match on the radio, and home games I have seen, the impression I get is that either through 'switching off' (which is bad) at set pieces, or a lack of effort (which is worse) to try and get into the game, individuals playing for Notts go missing. Too often Notts effectively only have 8 or 9 on the pitch.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

This is just a dreadful squad! Moniz assembled this pile of tripe on top of the assorted rubbish, like Hollis, Adams & Smith, who were already here.

A few of us recognised this was a bottom 3rd squad from the word go.

Best of luck Cooperman.

The goals in case you want to see just how shocking our defence was http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/10218188/portsmouth-4-0-notts-county

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,780
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

On the anniversary of my 49th year of my first Notts match, what can only be described as a defensive shambles, I have just witnessed. An ironic chant towards the end of the game, by Notts supporters "You're not very good, as you only scored 4"... and Portsmouth crowd chanting towards Izzy... "You're still effing useless, as we've known you here before"... Actually both those chants were precisely to the point, it is sad to say.

I have recently been banging on about giving Luther Wildin his chance at right back. Hewitt, exposed his defensive frailties for the umpteenth time this season and offered nothing in an offensive sense either. Smith had a good first half but again faded badly in the second, as his legs have had it. 

Hewiit's opposite number Ben Davies, formerly of this parish, gave an expert lesson in how to deliver a ball. Pompey's Kyle Bennet, who Notts tried to get from Donny back in September 2013, gave a lesson of good movement and perfect timing of runs.

Ratings

Loach 5 Suspect positioning for conceding the first but couldn't really do much with the others

Hewitt 2 No pride, no passion, no defensive positioning awareness...maybe even 2 is too generous ( how come he wasn't substituted?)

Milsom 5 Held up his side of the park reasonably well. No creative runs

Boyce 3 Still doubting his match fitness

Hollis 3 Didn't fit comfortably into the system, lack of footballing ability there for all to see

Smith 4.5 Good first half for his reading of the game, but heavy legged for the second. Players were just running through him in the end...lucky to avoid a straight red towards the end for bundling the guy over on half way

Thompson 5.5 Usual energy, put in a great cross which Stead contrived to miss with a powder puff header. Despite the effort, sheer lack of quality in terms of spotting an incisive pass

Noble 4 Unusual for an invisible performance..most un-Noble like.

Aborah 5  Pompey contrived to make his misjudged challenge worse than it actually was. Have watched the replay and their guy took the opportunity to fall over Stanley's outstretched leg. Nice ball skills, as one would expect...and was surprised he was pulled off. Maybe not yet match fit

Izzy 2 well, that's 150k down the swanny. The guys a fraud away from home. Half-hearted challenges for the ball, poor control when he gets the ball, chants of Portsmouth crowd spot on... 

Stead 3.5 How he didn't convert Curtis's cross after their keeper dropped the ball...even I could have scored that with some power in the old neck muscles. Lives on  past reputation a lot and really didn't trouble their defence at all

Not going to mark the Subs, too depressed. MC has a job on his hands and Brano needs to volunteer his resignation, for recommending players like Hewitt, who are not good enough.

Supporting Notts doesn't get any easier after 49 years. The pain of defeat still lingers

• Like 5

I'd drop the lot keep Loach maybe noble and stan and smith is play Wildin Sharpe agahstie and Edwards and smith at the back

Noble Stan and Macmillan another young lad  in middle up top I'd actually give montel Gibson a go and valencic

Its time the kids had a go they'd show more passion and pride and be eager to play they deffo can't do any worse.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

To be honest @Modern Fan 1862 👍, I was thinking exactly the same thing about Gibson, as he can't be any worse. McLeod has turned into a massive white elephant and might as well be ditched, to think we got rid of Jimmy in order to play him instead is criminal.

i also wouldn't associate most of these signings with Moniz, the majority of this mess can be firmly put at Guy Branston's recruitment door and the sooner he gets the boot the better.

MC has his work cut out and needs some inspiration from somewhere just to give them a little bit of confidence in order to compete.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

To be honest @Modern Fan 1862 👍, I was thinking exactly the same thing about Gibson, as he can't be any worse. McLeod has turned into a massive white elephant and might as well be ditched, to think we got rid of Jimmy in order to play him instead is criminal.

i also wouldn't associate most of these signings with Moniz, the majority of this mess can be firmly put at Guy Branston's recruitment door and the sooner he gets the boot the better.

MC has his work cut out and needs some inspiration from somewhere just to give them a little bit of confidence in order to compete.

for me Gibson is young hungry has pace about him is also give Macmillan a run Consdering Leicester and man Utd are looking at him see what he can do.

Wildin and Jordan agahstie a go to see what they can all do I'd like to see Sharpe giving ago at LWB to young bit of pace good games in reserves they'd probaly show more desire passion and grit 

• Like 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  631
  • Days Won:  8

Hewitts performance's seem to get worse. Hollis has had any number of chances but never looks confident and I don't think Notts will improve while he is in the back four. Smith can do a job for 45 minutes but no more. Despite the goal against Exeter McLeod seems to be a passenger, I'm not sure I'd bother picking him Monday.

Replacements..

Amevor. I haven't seem him play enough to judge, but don't think he could be worse than the current defenders.

Wildin.  I'll go with @Piethagoram 's Judgement.

I think MC needs to break the glass on the button marked emergency and recall Steady Eddie.

Murray to play alongside Stead, I don't think Murray has had a full match this season to prove his worth? I would start Valencic and/or Snijders.

Loach

Wildin Amevor/Audel Eddie Milsom

Valencic Aborah Noble Snijders

Murray

Stead

• Like 1

I think both above me are spot on, let's give youth a chance, we've got enough players so we might aswell play the fringe players (Genaro, amervor, valencic) and play 1 or 2 youngsters each game, to throw a lot in would be detrimental but to give one or two a chance would serve us well, I don't watch reserve matches but I've heard good things about the players mentioned above and Montel Gibson seems to be having a good season so why not give him a go with Murray or valencic up front ?

we have promising youngsters why would Leicester and man Utd be chasing jack Macmillan if they thought he has no potential if give him a run show us what he can do.

Also if he chips in or scores a few may bump his price tag if the intrestrest remains high also Jordan Aghastie Young big lad physical can't be worse then holis.

Swap Hewitt and seriously consider Wildin at RWB and Atkinson back up LWB play Sharpe young and seems to have abit of pace as Adams has been crap.

Middle 3 noble Stan Macmilan front 2 Murray And montel Gibson and valencic on bench.

Give these young lads a chance to show us some passion grit and heart cause the first 11 are beyond caring and are not good enough 

Infact even colby bishop up top has abit of height on him decent strengh for me stead is past it 34 next year offers nothing but a decent work rate.

Mcleod 33 next year lazy cares very little and I hoped he was going to be better then what he has been.

Holis is not a pro footballer simple 6ft3 and can't head a ball

Hewitt postional sense non egxistant pace lacks it both goals today Infact all 3 he did nothing to stop them goal no 1 Bennett skins him with zero effort and the centre back didn't close him then.

Goal no2 you clearly see bennetts run and were he is going to go and Hewitt should see it but he stops then allows a free run to benett.

Goal no ball comes in again Hewitt is marking mcnulty who isn't very big and he leaves him and it's a free header.

I don't rate him at all Boyce has looked unfit for a while I'm starting to doubt weather Curtis is actually going to improve lately he has been very poor.

Seriously I'd swap this team for the reserves with 4-5 young lads in it and tell them there is places up for grabs and it's a huge chance they'd bust there fingers for a chance 

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

59 minutes ago, Riverleeno said:

Loach

Wildin Amevor/Audel Eddie Milsom

Valencic Aborah Noble Snijders

Murray

Stead

This would probably suit me aswell, though I do worry Aborah-Noble combo could be a bit light-weight, but I don't see many other better options. 

only prob is cooper is going with 352 not 442 and Stan hasn't really suited the 442 at times.

we will use 352 with wingbacks the defence is the main problem as they struggle with a basic task of heading a ball