Terry Hawkridge move to Notts County "makes sense"

Joe Jones

There has been much speculation about the signing of Lincoln City winger Terry Hawkridge by Notts County.

"He's just a non-league player", some have said. "Why have they let him go? Can't be much good then", others have spat.

Newspaper Lincolnshire Live has explained how fans of the Imps were left equally baffled by the move, but they've deconstructed his reasoning for it.

"Taking a two-year deal on increased terms over a one-year isn't greedy, it's common sense. Football is his job and he must put himself and his family first.

"And he probably feels he'll get more first-team football with Notts next season having been in and out of the side this term.

"You could ask why anyone would want to leave Sincil Bank following such a momentous season, spearheaded by one of the most talked about management teams in the country.

"I and most City fans would argue that Lincoln have more going for them than the Magpies (sorry, what? -JJ), but then we're looking at the situation through red and white coloured spectacles.

"With a new chairman in Alan Hardy and a bright young manager in Kevin Nolan, Notts fans have reasons to be optimistic too following a chaotic spell which saw a revolving door of managers.

"Following a strong end to last season under Nolan, I would expect County to be battling for the play-offs next season, along with the Imps (hahaha -JJ)."

http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/why-terry-hawkridge-s-move-from-lincoln-city-to-notts-county-makes-sense/story-30340803-detail/story.html

Oh dear, just back from non-league and they're already giving it the big 'un. It would be a bit like us getting into League One and deciding we're a bigger club with more going for it than, say, Charlton.

Having said that I'm glad to see Lincoln back where they belong, it's a great away day. How cool would it be to see us, Lincoln and Mansfield all competing at the top of the table next season? That would add a bit extra spice. Provided we come out on top of course B)

I think the Imp fans are getting the bright idea that League 2 will be easy and probably think it because of their cup run. The days appear to be gone of the National league Champs getting promoted straight away and looking at the records, it appears that not since Fleetwood have a side that won the league, been promoted to League 1 (although playoff winners Brizzle Roverz have).

Lincoln finished the season with good crowds, but went a long time with 3-4 thousand gates and that may well return if they are not challenging after a couple of months. We are a bigger club without doubt and are now looking forwards, rather than in the past. The Imps fans believe that we are spending money that we don't have.

Opinions at this stage really count for nothing, they are just expressions - unless anyone can read into the future?

Lincoln fans I know and have spoken with said he's a decent team player, nothing special but always works hard. Meadow Lane is a great venue and our club will always be bigger than Lincoln City (with no disrespect intended). One good cup run and a successful promotion doesn't hide their own failure, however we can now focus on the new dawn. Fingers crossed Terry Hawkridge will be part of the glue that makes our squad push for promotion this upcoming season.

2 hours ago, Joe Jones said:

I and most City fans would argue that Lincoln have more going for them than the Magpies

:lol: most notts fans would say differently with their black and white tinted glasses.

think they may be in for a shock if they dont prepare themselves, this league is not easy.

Archived