PROFESSIONAL REFEREES?

Lozzle1

After today's shoddy Refereeing/linesman's decisions, together with the debacle I witnessed at Yeovil on Tuesday: I return home see that AH has called for 12 full-time Referees in League Two.

I'm guess I'm 'for' the idea, in principle. However, what if the 'chosen' one's turn out to be just like today's...or Tuesday's?

I tire - week-in, week-out - of witnessing things that continually go unpunished.

Shola was actually punched full in the face today...and although when he retaliated and was punished with a card; the player who punched him, wasn't sent off - as he should have been...simply because the ref...and linesman... both 'missed' Shola being violently assaulted! 

Even when opponents 'climb' our players backs; 'dig/nudge' them in the ribs; claim penalties that aren't or when opposing player's blatantly hit out, Referees and linesman appear to 'miss' it all.

I know KN's been ribbed for his continual 'moan' about Officials and it was even suggested today that he's (likely) bringing his grievances to the Dressing Room/Team. However, I don't know that he can 'pretend' these decisions aren't having a knock-on effect to the players in what are, mostly, extremely emotive matches and particularly when, so much depends on these Officials, 'getting it right'!

I don't think it's helpful, either, when people just say, "League Two officials are notoriously bad!

I'm not sure that 'full time Referees' are the answer or if it should simply be a case of the EFL ensuring their officials are 'good enough' to carry-out the job in the first place.

What does everyone else think?

I honestly feel the FA and Football League need to scout the lower leagues and fast track the good match officials which are stuck officiating the lower leagues/grass roots football.

The problem with the current way, is League Two is often officiated by officials who failed to make the grade higher - their training is given the odd Championship game which is easier to manage (in most cases). I just think it's poor throughout football, yet the best ref's cover the PL commonly and the rest are made up of people who really can't control games or take the pressure.

It's human error , football has always been the same , that doesn't mean improvement can't be made or looked at with the intension of helping offials and improving standards , some decisions even higher up the pyramid beggar belief , making officials professional I feel would help raise the bar and improve standards , and maybe reduce the human errors made , not looking for perfection but improvement .

I have to say that the standard of the officials yesterday was extremely poor, I don't think it can be labelled as human error.

All three men made so many mistakes, I would go as far as saying they are not competent to officiate league games. Referee's like yesterday ruin football games and the only fix is to ensure they move down to a level they can handle. Its a good paying job for the work, so they should be better!

Difficult one, it's hard to judge objectively when you are biased like most of us are.  I usually moan about the ref for 90 minutes at the game but by the time I'm driving home I realise they had a better view than I did so probably got most things right.  I suspect if you asked Colchester fans what they thought of yesterday's officials a majority would describe them as favouring us!  I thought they were generally poor, a lot of the decisions on simple things like throw-ins seemed guesswork with the ref and lino both waiting for the other to decide.  I do think however they got the penalties and bookings right, so didn't affect the result.

The question I ask is that are we looking at this through rose tinted spectacles, or have they always been bad? For as long as I can remember there have been chants of "Whose the {bleeper} in the black" and "The Referee's a {bleeper}", although my personal favourite chant was always "Whose your father referee?". I don't think it will ever change to be honest and it doesn't help with the constant tinkering with the rules of the game, which some people (including me) don't understand any more.

It isn't just Football that suffers with it, Tennis and Cricket has the same problems with umpires, but does at least have camera backup at the highest level so decisions can be challenged.

Might as well just let them get on with it as bad decisions will probably even themselves out over the season.

If referees and linesmen are fully professional, at least they can.... 

1) spend more time studying football so that they have a better understanding of in-game situations, and can interpret the laws more effectively

2) improve their levels of physical fitness through regular training (perhaps training with their local club, whose matches they don't ever officiate at?) 

3) be sacked / demoted if they repeatedly fall below the required standards !!  (But seriously....they could be put on (say) 24 month contracts). 

Also.....making refereeing a full time profession with a good salary would...in the longer term.....tempt more players to look into refereeing for when their playing days are over. Many young players already study for coaching badges, physiotherapy or other sports science qualifications......so why not refereeing ?  They could be fully qualified by their early 30s and have a ready-made career when they finish playing.  

Players having a better understanding of the game from a refereeing point of view would surely make life easier for both sides. 

Officials in other sports do get proper training and if they make mistakes their is a punishment.

Football in the UK seems totally different. If you make the top and do bad, they demote you but if you do back in the lower tiers they consider this to be the training. Honestly, I know several good young officials that are powerless when it comes to moving up the system. I also don't know why they would hire people older than most professional footballers to officiate games, some of them look kinda bulky or the total opposite very skinny.

Not many this season have managed to keep up with the game.

On 26/11/2017 at 12:34, Chris said:

I honestly feel the FA and Football League need to scout the lower leagues and fast track the good match officials which are stuck officiating the lower leagues/grass roots football.

The problem with the current way, is League Two is often officiated by officials who failed to make the grade higher - their training is given the odd Championship game which is easier to manage (in most cases). I just think it's poor throughout football, yet the best ref's cover the PL commonly and the rest are made up of people who really can't control games or take the pressure.

That's exactly what they do - fast track and scout!!

Of course L2 is officaited by referees who failed to 'make the grade'. Its teams consist of players 'who failed to make the grade'.

Nah, they hardly ever promote or demote someone out of the Football League.

No official is fast-tracked, it takes years for them to establish themselves and there's little monitoring. League Two is actually largely consistent of players starting out or making their own way up the footballing pyramid - few big games fall down and any youngsters from bigger clubs aren't exactly 'failed', they just need time to make the grade. Most footballers move up, and then later back down.

With officials its a lot more one sided.

Archived