Minutes applause/silence

Fan of Big Tone

Supporter+

I hope I don't offend anyone as this topic may be a bit controversial but here goes. Do we really have to have a minutes applause/silence every time anyone in football dies. For example Ray Wilkins died recently and at the Notts match there was a minutes applause, as far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong) he has no connection with the club whatsoever. I can understand paying respect when a former player, manager, chairman or director dies. Ray Wilkins was a great player and well loved in football and it's sad when anyone dies but where do we draw the line? There will be ex footballers dying all the time do we have a round of applause or minutes silence every time one of them dies?

Am I being insensitive? What are your views?

I think it has more value when it's someone who served the club, or if it's a fan.

I have no issue with it in my opinion, I think sometimes it's good to pay respect but there has been times I've questioned the decision to have one - mostly if it's related to someone outside of the game. I struggle to comprehend this, but otherwise generally it's up-to the individual if they get involved or not.

This said, sometimes people are very vocal and almost insisting in a bully like fashion that it's just wrong - this attitude is IMO.

I believe the applause were as respect, (primarily) for a former England Captain. 

From all accounts, I don't think I read one bad word about Mr Wilkins amongst a bucket-load of 'unsung' things he did for others.

Sad that he died so young.

R.I.P. Ray Wilkins

The other question is why we only have a minutes silence for some & not others?

For all Ray Wilkins was a great guy, will all clubs around the country hold a minutes applause when Ian Richardson dies?

I ask as he has done brilliant things for our club and more pertinently the public of Nottingham? How many people has he kept from very dark sometimes ultimate places through his work?

Supporter+
2 hours ago, Northants Pie said:

The other question is why we only have a minutes silence for some & not others?

For all Ray Wilkins was a great guy, will all clubs around the country hold a minutes applause when Ian Richardson dies?

I ask as he has done brilliant things for our club and more pertinently the public of Nottingham? How many people has he kept from very dark sometimes ultimate places through his work?

Why wait until Ian Richardson is dead, let’s make him a guest of honour and have a minutes applause to show our appreciation while he is still around. That in my opinion would be much better.

Hopefully Ian Richardson will be with us for a while yet ;)

I also believe it should be kept to people connected with the club - in that case it's a nice acknowledgement from the club, and a gesture towards family and friends who are in attendance. I suppose the idea is that we commemorate true legends of the game, but Ray Wilkins isn't in the same category as, say Bobby Charlton or Stanley Matthews. Instead of trying to decide who merits it and who doesn't, it would be easier just to keep it to people connected to the club. If I were a former player and coach at a Premier League club and died, I wouldn't care if clubs I had nothing to do with had their fans clap for a bit on my behalf.

Football is too mawkish by half nowadays. If it's not this it's the tacky poppies printed on football shirts for half of November (and the annual circus we get if a player doesn't want to wear one). If you want to pay your respects to a person unrelated to the club or those who fell in war, a football ground is not the place to do it in my view.

8 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Why wait until Ian Richardson is dead, let’s make him a guest of honour and have a minutes applause to show our appreciation while he is still around. That in my opinion would be much better.

Exactly, better to do it whilst they can still be here to receive our appreciation.

Maybe someone could suggest it to the club?

On 13/04/2018 at 15:44, Fan of Big Tone said:

Am I being insensitive? What are your views?

My view is that you are not being insensitive in the slightest Tone.  I think the club were wrong to arrange a tribute to Ray Wilkins (was it an EFL directive?) for the reason you state - he had no connection whatsoever with Notts County or Coventry City.  I half-heartedly joined in because I have nothing against Ray Wilkins.  He was a classy player and apparently a good bloke, but he had nothing to do with our club.   Your other very valid point is where do you draw the line?  If we're talking ex-England players do you draw the line at a certain number of caps?  Would Gary Lineker get it and John Barnes not, or would it be the other way round?  This sort of thing is done so often these days that the effect is diluted for the truly deserving cases.  The other thing that I absolutely hate is a minute's applause rather than a minute's silence.  I felt cheated when Jimmy Sirrel died and the decision was for applause.  There are few more meaningful and emotive occasions than a football ground in complete silence.  If that had happened after Jimmy's passing I'm pretty sure I would have shed a tear.  Instead we had the banal applause, which is what we hear at every game anyway.  We applauded a good tackle a few minutes later.   Keep it special and it means what it should.  Make it commonplace and it means very little.

Supporter+

That’s a good point @Elite_pie I wonder if it was a directive from the EFL. As you say the tributes happen too often and become diluted. I did stand and applaud because everyone else did but I wonder how many thought the same as we do.

Archived