Coventry City Vs Notts County

Chris

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

This game see's two sets of fans traveling to the ground, something I don't think people should even joke about. As if Notts lost Meadow Lane or couldn't play their, well it would quite saddening.

Coventry are shooting up the league, they're playing pretty good stuff and for a side who's notably had to adapt. I say good on them!

Franck Moussa - A player I would have Sheehan or Liddle man mark.

Notts could do with the win, I feel very optimistic about it and I think it will be a tight game. If Notts can throw themselves into blocking chances or quickly cut them out, I think there's no reason why we couldn't start a little run of wins which would be great for confidence and of course the new manager (whoever that may be).

Hartlepool (FA Cup) - Wolves - Shrewsbury

Possible 4 points from the latter two games and the Hartlepool game should see us progress, if we've learned from last season!

Thoughts?

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

I'll be there Sat - hoping for, but not expecting, a Notts win. Have to say, we will need to be more diligent & alert than we were against both Crewe & Oldham, Coventry will punish us for those clumsy, defensive lapses.

It does look like there is renewed vigour & energy about the side - whether that is due to

Hodge or just down to he loss of CK remains to be seen.

Would love to see Haber, if fit, starting up front and it is time to put Liddle in the defensive midfield role now that Smith is back and Holt looked ok at left back. I doubt we'll adopt that route, but it would be interesting to see Liddle, Boucaud, Thompson/Tempest & McGregor in midfield. Is Boucaud available?

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I would definitely start Boucaud if he is available, not sure why he didn't play on Tuesday but I thought we missed him, Haber and Haynes up front, Holt in defence (note the spelling NOT defense as I have seen on this board recently) did well so I would leave him in.

Coventry are going great guns after having a points deduction, this will be a really difficult match and to be honest I can't see us winning, a draw would be a good result though.

I hope we have a new manager installed by then.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743

Not too confident but who knows?

Boucaud is available - good news!

Four of us are going, sampling the corportate "horse brutality" - looks a good deal, seats on half way line, 3 course meal, h/t & f/t refreshments, car park pass. Looking forwards to a Notts win. COYP.

Maybe we'll have a new manager in place too - or at least waiting in the wings?

I was hoping we would see an announcement today, though Steve Hodge can hopefully encourage the players. I've seen many pictures from the game against Oldham, it seems I was watching him at the wrong times because in the pictures he doesn't remain in one position - I find this odd, as I was really watching what I thought to be closely, I see it's a case of I look away and he goes frantic. LOL

Pies4u going V.I.P tomorrow? Very nice ;)

I'm still very confident and I am glad to add - My son is willing to come tomorrow! I know why though and I hope he isn't put off from our next Home game. Fingers crossed!

2-1 Notts.

Supporter+

I hope you travelling fans enjoy the game and come back with 3 points, I will be listening to good old Uncle Colin whilst doing a bit of work.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  467
  • Days Won:  5

The first time I've left a game before the end. Third goal went in and out we walked. Terrible defending and on that display no chance of staying up!

• Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  89

I managed to stay to the final whistle - but to be honest it was a constant mental battle with myself to stop me from walking out also.

I'll try and break down the performance as much as I can:

1st half - Quite boring, in all honesty. No chances for either side, Notts doing the usual pass back and sideways, which was getting frustrating. Sheehan doing well. We had a few set pieces but made nothing of them.

Sending off - Couldn't really see it from the angle we were at. Didn't see any arguing from the Notts players so must assume it was a blatant sending off, in which case, they question must be, what was the need for that challenge? 

2nd Half - We came out looking like a team already defeated. What makes it more annoying is that all 3 of their goals, the 2nd and 3rd especially, we pretty much gave them. Players looked disinterested, defeated and lethargic. Pathetic. Heads dropped and players got stroppy. No leadership at all from Leacock, or the other experienced players. Horrible to watch.

In any other business, if you paid that kind of money to travel and to watch that performance, you would get your money back. It wouldn't have been as bad if the players gave a sh*t, they didn't. Some of them act like they are ******* Premier League players, with the ability to throw a paddy and not put in 100%. NEWS FLASH: You are playing in League 1, because you ain't good enough to be in a better league, even when giving 100%, so what gives you the opinion you can give less?! Also, you'll probably be in League Two next year! And the cheek for them to clap the Notts fans at the end - **** off!

Rant over.

A special mention must go to Jordan Holt, who was the only player who put a decent shift in. He ran, made some great challenges and earned his wages today without a doubt. In some places his positional awareness was at question, but that will come with experience. 

Need a manager in to give these idiots a kick up the arse!

• Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  89

Oh, I forgot one more point.

I'm not wanting to make a scape-goat of anyone as the problem we are facing is definitely a team issue as a whole, but Fotheringham in not good enough for this league, or probably even League Two.

His passing is just far too poor for a central midfielder. I  have a feeling that the rubbish pass that gave them the 2nd goal was him, but I'm not 100% so I will discount that. However, it was passes which were fairly simple which got on my nerves. 

For example, he was playing a ball from a deep position, probably 10-15m ahead for Graelish. Simple enough pass, he wasn't under any real pressure. However, the pass was;

A: Far too heavy
B: Inaccurate - Graelish had to stretch for it.
C: Height - No need to have any, and it did. Not a great amount, but with the above 2 points, made it worse.

Graelish lost the ball as his touch was wayward as the pass was far too hard to control, when there was no need.

This was repeated numerous times throughout the game. Additionally, he seems to want to try and act as a play-maker. No, Mark, no. His passes were awful throughout, he doesn't offer enough at all to be starting in our midfield. 

We played very flat, without direction and tactically we seemed flawed. I did however feel that we could sneak a goal in the second half! If we could have done that, I do honestly believe we could have gotten something from the game. Coventry was very bland and didn't seem up for up, very wasteful and if we was having a bad day - The same should be applied to them because they was shocking in the first half.

In the second half they came out brighter and scored a goal fairly quickly. Once they scored, everything clicked for them and they became a very attractive side to watch, although much to the hands of ourselves because we crumbled.

Annoying the midfield was non-exisitant, along with some truly woeful defending.

I have to say, it was an mistake to play Holt in the position he started in and although I would point out he was learning, acting as a makeshift left back and did some decent things. Sadly he was at fault for some of the play and didn't really command the area all that well, in fact I grew tired of seeing him fluff passing chances by losing his confidence. I feel this is harsh because he's young, though he reminded me of myself when I would be thrown into games so far out of my depth that nothing I could do or cope with, really this was a mistake by Hodge.

The ref was poor, they was very physical towards our players. Pushing, tackling and lashing out. None seemed to caught the refs attention despite being conducted in this his view, the worst was the foul on Greg Tempest. A very dangerous high kicking incident which the ref only parted with a card due to the fans (such as myself) chanting for a decision. It was clueless and comical how biased he was.

Notts played with a lack of passion - I firmly believe we need a strong minded manager, someone vocal and ticks boxes for working with youngsters, whilst having a good record.

Danny Wilson is the man most prefer, he's the man I've come to accept. I'd like him :)

What a disappointment! That was a shambolic display - not helped by having Liddle out of position at rb and the idiotic and useless Haynes sent off for a clumsy, unnecessary challenge that cost us any semblance of gaining a point.

Once we went behind that was it, total capitulation and I do wonder why Boucaud and Thompson didn't start.

Fotheringham was, I'm sad to say, absolutely appalling. His passing was woeful, he can't run and he offers no defensive qualities at all, the game by-passes him. Haynes was a disgrace, shocking display culminating in that ludicrous challenge.

Whoever takes over this bunch has got an almighty struggle - but playing Liddle and Boucaud in midfield, getting Thompson wide on the right and playing McGregor behind Haber might give us some sort of chance!

Supporter+

I didn't go to the game so I am at a disadvantage but surely if we are looking for scapegoats I would have thought that Haynes would be a prime candidate, we had a tough job on with 11 men on the field when we went down to 10 because of his reckless challenge then that is bound to have a bad effect on the other players whose confidence is already low.

As I say I wasn't at the match and only have the radio report to go by but Dean Yates (whose opinion I respect) said that it was a two footed throat high challenge and a stone wall red card. Why did Haynes feel the need to make a challenge like that? Answers on a postcard.

We need a new manager sooner rather than later, Mr. Rodwell in his interview before the game didn't seem to be in any hurry to appoint anyone and said they are still interviewing next week, I hope they get the interviews over quickly and make a decision for all our sakes.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  467
  • Days Won:  5

I have to agree with the above comments. Gifting three goals is a complete shambles. We don't move the ball quick enough, always playing it back and getting into trouble. Stupid individual errors every game. Why on earth did we have Liddle at right back as he was clearly uncomfortable there?! Clarke showed how to take chances and put them away. I don't think Leacock is the right man for captain anymore as he doesn't lead on the field like Bish did. Lack of discipline, lack of of passion & lack of respect for the travelling fans!

• Content Count:  18,309
  • Days Won:  28

From what i heard about the game notts played quite basic and Coventry took advantage of it. Not too far for fans to travel but not the best game to have seen either. I hope everyone made the most of the day out. I hope that we get a manager in soon as this cannot go on.

Archived