Mike Phelan - Notts County Manager?

PTID1862

The more I think about this, the better it sounds. Maybe it is just me, but it would be a masterstroke of an appointment, IMO

Top quality Coach, can deal with egos, anybody in our squad, has access to the best managerial advice around, will bring on youth, is out of work, is looking to get into management.

Wouldn't be cheap, but would the outlay be worth the result, who knows... I reckon it would work, would it bring back the dwindling numbers, I think it just might.

Thoughts?

Supporter+

That's a name I have not seen linked with Notts before. He has certainly got experience as a number 2 sitting alongside Sir Alex Ferguson in the Man Utd dugout, if a fraction of Sir Alex's knowledge rubbed off on Mike then it would be a good appointment.

As always it's a bit of a lottery choosing a new manager as Mr. Trew has found to his cost but who is to say that Mike Phelan wouldn't be a fantastic appointment, it would certainly show ambition and maybe even put more bums on seats.

One snag, could we afford his salary expectations? On that basis I think it might be a tad unreaslistic to hope for but hey who knows.

Nice to see you on here @PTID1862

I know he's a quality coach and backroom member of staff, I know how highly regarded he is to Sir Alex. I'm not sure he'd be interested in managing us, I'm usually fairly ambitious but he certainly would have better options. I wouldn't be against him, as I wouldn't with anyone taken on but there are a few who I would be less passionate about seeing.

He doesn't fit that or my 'needs league experience'. He's got a different type of quality but It's likely we will end up with another disappointing manager.

We can hope for a clear cut, likable candidate who can regenerate Notts. We just need to get things back on track really!

He'd be ideal as Head Coach and/or in charge of player development throughout the Club. Sadly, that would mean another expense - for a Team Manager or similar.

The prospect of Phelan as a coach alongside an "elder statesman" is appealing, but it is hard to think of someone who fits the bill in that latter category. The likes of Wilson, or God forbid - Kerr, are established coaches in their own right. Phelan alongside a novice manager would be a waste of time IMO, inevitably friction and disharmony would arise.

I agree, with you all on the finances front, but if what I have just read was genuine, that we were considering Shaun Derry and Bud Abbott, then perhaps his wage might not be so out of touch. I think the buzz this appointment would create would cover the extra. He doesn't know this league granted, but is suitably well liked and thought of throughout the management community to be able to get advice. Not just from Sir AF but from others also.

At least your replies show me that I haven't been eating too many of those fungi up the garden.

PS thanks for the welcome Tony

Archived